Aston Villa v Wolves Match Thread - Sat 6 March @ 5.30pm - Sky | Page 3 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Wolves Match Thread - Sat 6 March @ 5.30pm - Sky

I'd drop at least 2 of the midfield, namely McGinn and Ramsay and bring Luiz and Barkley in. Barkley hasn't been good but this would be in theory a good game for him given how deep they play, he won't be under a huge amount of pressure.

I'd drop McGinn 100% - he is too fatigued, our biggest culprit for consistently giving the ball away under no pressure the last 5 games. I don't blame him the coaching staff are not protecting him.

Barkley back in for me. He hasn't done much and seems off the boil...but without Jack he is the most naturally creative player we have. Perhaps 2 starts on the bench will have fired him up.

Interesting stat i saw from a football analytics page on twitter.....we are one of the highest average teams for gaining corners, yet one of the worst for any type of chance conversion. Wasteful on set pieces. Likely the reason why constantly swinging the ball into the box again SUFC didn't work.

I don't think i'd play Barkley , I think we will need Nakamba protecting that back line as i can see Wolves overrunning our crisp packet central midfield.
The fatal mistake I envisage Smith making is dropping Nakamba for Luiz which is a knee jerk reaction to Wednesday and will get punished.

We should get more opportunities the way they play. Everybody else has had a go so we need to play Sanson now. Ramsey shouldn’t be overused when we’re struggling so much for consistency.

Barkley back in for me. He hasn't done much and seems off the boil...but without Jack he is the most naturally creative player we have. Perhaps 2 starts on the bench will have fired him up.

Interesting stat i saw from a football analytics page on twitter.....we are one of the highest average teams for gaining corners, yet one of the worst for any type of chance conversion. Wasteful on set pieces. Likely the reason why constantly swinging the ball into the box again SUFC didn't work.
I agree, we lack any sort of creativity in midfield and need to improve this. I'm sick of McGinn's hopeless crosses into the box from deep and he doesn't have a forward pass in him either.

hi everyone, as well as the villa losing the other night, im getting a leeds united box on the screen, every time i put the computer on, dont think i can take anymore,( you would think yer man could speak the ingleesh by now, seanie

I agree, we lack any sort of creativity in midfield and need to improve this. I'm sick of McGinn's hopeless crosses into the box from deep and he doesn't have a forward pass in him either.
I think the team that faced Sheffield United (and beat Leeds) should be more suited to playing Wolves, I can’t for the life of me work out why we didn’t bring more creativity into the side against the bottom of the league team, but Wolves will be more similar to Leeds where that team and tactics worked well.

But because we lost we’ll probably change it all up again and go with the more creative types and leave the higher energy players on the bench and it will go wrong. For me I’d try to keep it tight, similar game plan as against Leeds and maybe drop McGinn for Luiz or Sanson as the only change

I think the team that faced Sheffield United (and beat Leeds) should be more suited to playing Wolves, I can’t for the life of me work out why we didn’t bring more creativity into the side against the bottom of the league team, but Wolves will be more similar to Leeds where that team and tactics worked well.

But because we lost we’ll probably change it all up again and go with the more creative types and leave the higher energy players on the bench and it will go wrong. For me I’d try to keep it tight, similar game plan as against Leeds and maybe drop McGinn for Luiz or Sanson as the only change
said the same earlier , i think he will pick the wrong term by knee jerking from wednesday

Have to agree with Barkley playing. I would also rest Bert and start with Trez. Elmo needs support and Bert doesn't offer it. Deano thinks we played well and were unlucky against Sheffield United. I disagree I think we were flat and devoid of any ideas Ollie was isolated and had no support from midfield. Would also rest SJM for Sanson, who is really struggling for form right now. We are having a bit of a wobble at the moment so a win against the Dogheads would be just the tonic we need...but we need to make changes and we have the players to do just that.

It's a long season. Think we're getting to the point where tiredness, both mental and physical, kicks in, both us and other teams. Slick passing games start to fall apart as players aren't so keen on doing the runs.

I'd keep Nakamba in because he's good at what he does and because he's relatively fresh. McGinn definitely needs a rest. Luiz has been rested and maybe should come back. Sanson should be fresh and raring to go; depends on whether DS thinks he's absorbed our way of playing yet. I wouldn't rule out playing Engels and shifting Konsa to RB.

It's a long season. Think we're getting to the point where tiredness, both mental and physical, kicks in, both us and other teams. Slick passing games start to fall apart as players aren't so keen on doing the runs.

I'd keep Nakamba in because he's good at what he does and because he's relatively fresh. McGinn definitely needs a rest. Luiz has been rested and maybe should come back. Sanson should be fresh and raring to go; depends on whether DS thinks he's absorbed our way of playing yet. I wouldn't rule out playing Engels and shifting Konsa to RB.
i'm struggling to know what that is these days (2021), i'm sure Sanson must also be wondering what exactly our style of play is ?

We dont have anyone who can deliver a setpiece. Like, nobody. Honestly, I'd even stick Sanson into the team for a while just to see if he can take a corner.

Barkely has put on his social media a picture with the caption big game tomorrow, so putting two and two together he knows he’s starting.

Based on the season so far I think we should pick the midfield names out of a hat and then before the game they can each roll a dice to see whether they play well or not.

If the ref's feeling left out he can flip a coin for any handball decisions in the box.