Aston Villa v Southampton Thread - 1st Nov - 12 noon | Page 18 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Southampton Thread - 1st Nov - 12 noon

Dean Smith is going to have to answer to a few things after this. Whatever game plan they did today is not working at all.

I can see our owners being fairly ruthless this season. A few more games like this and I think Smith will be on very thin ice.

Lets hope he organises something positive for the second half.

He's had 1.5x the required money to put average PL players on the pitch - I don't expect us to be top half on that money but after two years and that much dough you wouldn't expect us to be getting tonked like this and at Leeds either.

Something has changed in the dressing room for sure, I mentioned the chat between themselves against Leeds - the players want him out IMO.

Fingers crossed for a Poch Xmas pressy - perhaps he can get Buendia in after Xmas.

I said the other week our team is to short in height at freekicks
Disagree. It's not lack of height, it's lack of balls. First goal Konsa (6'2) and Mings (6'5) standing in no-mans land while McGinn (5'7) "marks" the biggest player on the pitch. In the wall for both free-kicks we had 6'+ players.

Mings is scared of the ball. I've been saying this for two years....

This games a right-off.

Smith fucking up by thinking we are the real deal and being too offensive.

Back to the drawing board and post lockdown tactics is required. Tighten up the defence and grind out a few results.

Disagree. It's not lack of height, it's lack of balls. First goal Konsa (6'2) and Mings (6'5) standing in no-mans land while McGinn (5'7) "marks" the biggest player on the pitch. In the wall for both free-kicks we had 6'+ players.

Mings is scared of the ball. I've been saying this for two years....

I think Mings just fails to mark anyone any time

Also just seen that Mcginn, who is what 5ft9 was marking Vestergaard for their first. Vestergaard is 6ft7 btw.

There’s obviously a lot wrong but before the season began I was banging on about the need for a hard midfielder to shield the defence and win the ball.
I haven’t changed my mind.

This games a right-off.

Smith fucking up by thinking we are the real deal and being too offensive.

Back to the drawing board and post lockdown tactics is required. Tighten up the defence and grind out a few results.
Like the Leicester game, I thought we'd cracked that but no. The players now think they can beat anyone without trying

He's had 1.5x the required money to put average PL players on the pitch - I don't expect us to be top half on that money but after two years and that much dough you wouldn't expect us to be getting tonked like this and at Leeds either.

Something has changed in the dressing room for sure, I mentioned the chat between themselves against Leeds - the players want him out IMO.

Fingers crossed for a Poch Xmas pressy - perhaps he can get Buendia in after Xmas.
Poch would be massive for us I think. I don't have the same levels of hate for Dean Smith as many, but I think he has reached his limit with us now. I just don't think he has the steel to pick players up from something negative. How often have we come back from a goal down with him in charge?

First thing I'd say to any team facing Southampton - don't give away needless free-kicks around the box. Prowse will punish you. We've given away three stupid freekicks and been punished every time. Doesn't help when your centre-back just likes to drop off and protect thin air.

We never seem to have a plan for the opposition. That's the most worrying aspect for me when it comes to Smith.

They may have a plan before Kick Off, but the main problem with Smith is that he can't adapt if the plan goes awol. He simply doesn't have the ability to think on his feet and change tactics.

That's why he'll always be a Championship level manager. I like the guy, but he's simply out of his depth here.