Aston Villa v Reading, Tues 3rd April, 7.45pm | Page 9 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Reading, Tues 3rd April, 7.45pm

Great all-round efforts from Bjarneson and Hogan, both worked hard. Agee with Melon Donkey about Hogan, his Orkney rat is excellent, dragging defenders all over the shop. He seems to be one step ahead of our midfeld, they regularly miss his runs or take one touch too many so the chance is gone.

To be fair 67, it was much easier for them to get forward after Reading went down to ten men. But Bjarnasson was excellent even before having the extra man freed him up. Give our boys credit though because they didn’t force the issue and stayed patient. I thought the two full backs made a big difference tonight. Their service wasn’t the best but they both got forward often and it helped to stretch Reading.

Thought we played really well, moved the ball quicker than last few games and when we do that we look far better.

Yep Reading were awful but that isn’t our fault.

I think that guarantees play offs so happy days.

Agree with Melon Donkey about Hogan, his Orkney rat is excellent, dragging defenders all over the shop.

I knew there must have been a reason why we had so much space last night other than the ten men of Reading. All hail the Orkney Rat who clearly scampered all over the pitch making decoy runs pulling the Reading defenders all over the place. Now we all know what Mannone caught sight of as Scotty closed him down....of course it was the bloody Orkney rat nibbling at his feet. Cue Scotty to nip the ball away and slot home. What a combination those two are. Knowing Bruce he'll drop them both for the Norwich game...bloody dinosaur!

Thor provides energy in the middle and most of us would have played him there in the matches prior to this one. No more Jedinak and Whelan there please. Nor for that matter Tuanzabe at full back.
Had to win that one, given a bonus with the sending off and we won. Onwards and upwards.

Great win. Managed to turn the dominance into goals which we have failed to do in the past. Couldn't ask for any more really.

We are very much a confidence team too, so i think this win will set us up nicely for Saturday now, and if we can get back on a little run again including beating Cardiff then who knows.... or dare to dream?

Thought we played really well, moved the ball quicker than last few games and when we do that we look far better.

Yep Reading were awful but that isn’t our fault.

I think that guarantees play offs so happy days.

Definatley a concerted effort to move the ball quicker. Clearly that had been identified as something we had to do better.

Also agree with Holtelower (wrong I know!!!!!) but Super Jack drops too deep sometimes, he needs to play higher where it hurts the opposition more.

I know what you mean about Jack, but on the other hand, two of his best performances against Blues and Wolves were when he was dropping deeping, picking up the ball and running at defenders.... when he's in that mood the opposition can't live with him.

Definatley a concerted effort to move the ball quicker. Clearly that had been identified as something we had to do better.

We did. But we still need to move it even quicker. And I am still getting really frustrated with our lack of penetration in the central midfield. It's wide or nothing. If teams nulify this then we struggle, as has already been the case this season. I do accept that this is the main game plan and is what Bruce wants to do, hence the reliance on Albert and Snoddy. But we need to be able vary it up. I have said before and will maintain that this lack of dynamism in the central midfield will do for Bruce eventually. I keep pointing to the little give and go midfielders we have come up against this season. Like the little fella at Brentford, who's name escapes me.

On another note. I liked the way every single outfield player joined in the celebrations for every goal. We do have a team spirit that is not in doubt.

Yes it wasn't perfect but still quicker and better than the last three games.

The team spirit seems very good I agree.

We did. But we still need to move it even quicker. And I am still getting really frustrated with our lack of penetration in the central midfield. It's wide or nothing.

I agree on the whole, but to be fair, Bjarnason got into a dangerous area and scored, and Hourihane was the furthest forward when he headed in.

So we CAN be dangerous through the middle - just need to do it a lot more often. Hourihane needs to get into those areas regularly, especially if we're only playing with one recognised striker.

A good result for us last night and a controlled performance. I agree with the comments about Thor. I'd still like to see a bit more pace and directness when we break forward but the system worked so it would be churlish to moan.
Is that wide left berth the best position for Kodjia? He seems to play it well and gives a bit more directness than Albert.
How do we set the front three up when Kodjia is fully match fit?

Well not the sternest test we have faced this season but we fully deserved the win.For me it's all about building some momentum up for the play offs cus on our day we can smash anyone in this league.
The Hull game was as bad as Lamberts last game at Hull almost as bad as me on the Karaoke in some Hull city centre pub on Saturday night.
However I do think we have a great chance in the play offs especially if Kodj is back upto speed by then.

Great all-round efforts from Bjarneson and Hogan, both worked hard. Agee with Melon Donkey about Hogan, his Orkney rat is excellent, dragging defenders all over the shop. He seems to be one step ahead of our midfeld, they regularly miss his runs or take one touch too many so the chance is gone.

Can somebody arrange to buy one of Hogan's excellent Orkney Rats for every member of the squad. For me they are clearly the key to promotion.

PMSL:clap::clap::clap: Legendary Gazgecko! Comedy post of the season.:rotfl:

I agree on the whole, but to be fair, Bjarnason got into a dangerous area and scored, and Hourihane was the furthest forward when he headed in.

So we CAN be dangerous through the middle - just need to do it a lot more often. Hourihane needs to get into those areas regularly, especially if we're only playing with one recognised striker.

What I mean is progressing with the ball through the middle whether from within our half or in the opposition half not our players getting into the danger areas without the ball.

The two examples given were crosses or passes developed from the wide areas with our players making runs to the box which bearing in mind we scored from I ain't really complaining about !.

This making a short sideways pass when there is space to run into is a bit of a bee in my bonnet at the moment. I've moved on,partially, from young and hungry managers.