Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest Match Thread: Saturday 24th February, 3pm | Page 3 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest Match Thread: Saturday 24th February, 3pm

I just think there a certain opponents who just don't suit the way we play and have possibly figured us out to some extent.

I think if we played Chelsea, Newcastle and Man United 10 times each we'd lose 8 of them against each team.

I'm worried Forest are in that bracket too. They beat us 2 nil at their place, and they just have the pace and directness to cause our defense and full backs especially lots of problems.

I usually predict us to win easily. I did against Fulham. I just see Forest as one of the teams who's style really doesn't suit us.
Deano, take comfort from the bookies odds - we are 1/2 on to win with only Arsenal shorter odds to win at the weekend. I have to say their figures away from home are shocking. Their new manager has had very mixed results aswell since he took over from Cooper. Watkins will fire us to victory, with us having plenty to provide him with the bullets.

Last edited:
Forest are in a different place to when we played them in November because they now have Nuno in who is an entirely different coach to Cooper . So looking back to that game isn’t really the metric tbh.

We have just lost 3 on the bounce at home . 2 league and one cup. The Newcastle game was poor but only in the context of how bloody superb we have been for a year. And of course we had just gone a year without losing at home so it was gonna end . Law of averages. The Chelsea game can be separated as it’s the cup and rightly or more to the point wrongly the lads just didn’t seem up for it. But that’s just where that particular competition sits now with players. Then we had Manure and universally it was agreed that we were at least worthy of a draw, at the very least. Fulham away was superb so overall we are now in good shape again now the players know the injuries have hit but we can still turn in good performances.

Last edited:
Forest are in a different place to when we played them in November because they now have Nuno in who is an entirely different coach to Cooper . So looking back to that game isn’t really the metric tbh.

We have just lost 3 on the bounce at home . 2 league and one cup. The Newcastle game was poor but only in the context of how bloody superb we have been for a year. And of course we had just gone a year without losing at home so it was gonna end . Law of averages. The Chelsea game can be separated as it’s the cup and rightly or wrongly the lads just didn’t seem up for. Then we had Manure and universally it was agreed that we were at least worthy of a draw, at the very least. Fulham away was superb so overall we are now in good shape again now the players know the injuries have hit but we can still turn in good performances.

These are exactly the sort of things I pin my hopes on. Not too sure how robust the arguments are but they get me through!

Not sure Forest are a particularly defensive team, they just sit deep so they have more space to hit teams on the counter attack. Our wingers need to be on it to stop Forest’s wing backs getting forward too much.
Quite a few Forest fans seem to fancy their chances of getting something out of this game against our high line. The first goal could be crucial

Not sure Forest are a particularly defensive team, they just sit deep so they have more space to hit teams on the counter attack. Our wingers need to be on it to stop Forest’s wing backs getting forward too much.
Quite a few Forest fans seem to fancy their chances of getting something out of this game against our high line. The first goal could be crucial

They have Nuno as manager so I'm expecting 90 minutes of sufferball from them.

They'll sit deep and play on the counter. We're playing well and will probably play a settled , unchanged team again. Might just need a bit of patience .

What’s this making out Forest are suddenly Brazil? They are 16th in the league on -12 GD, who are half decent at home and that’s why they are not in the relegation zone. Their away form is appalling, but have a couple of fast players that on their day can cause a few problems. Yes we have lost our last 2 home games, but we have found some fluency to our play along with the return of Torres, who makes us tick. I’m expecting us to reflect we are 12 positions better than Forest and Watkins to show his finishing qualities again.

We've had some indifferent performances *away* against Forest of late but we're at home and it's time we re-established our dominance at VP.

Talk of them targeting Lenglet, well they'd kill for a CB as good as our 5th choice, so I think they should be more worried about Ramsey, Watkins, Bailey and Tielemans and what they'll do to their defence.

trekkers podcast update:
We will also have substitutes on the bench ( I sit near the dugout,so can confirm that happens)
More updates as and when.
If you like my podcast, keep it to yourself
If you hate it, tell everyone

I've never known injuries like this. Honestly think players get signed off injured far easier than they ever used to .