Aston Villa v Newcastle Utd Match Thread - Tues 30th Jan - 8.15 | Page 30 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Newcastle Utd Match Thread - Tues 30th Jan - 8.15

i think there's definitely a mental tiredness . Since they had the chance to go top the pressure has got to them . We laugh every season when Arsenal choke but it's a real thing that happens

That result has been coming for the last 3 games. The Atmosphere was dead before the game. We started slowly as usual but couldn't get into the game, and spent most of our time trying to get past their aggressive press. Last season we bypassed it and murdered them, not sure the Sultan got this or the game up there anywhere near right and Howe outthought him again, not something that happens very often.
We need to start imposing ourselves on teams from the off, the number of times the ball ends up with Martinez from us being in the opposition's half is way too high. Passing backwards should be a last resort, not the first thought, I'm looking at you back 4. Especially at 2 down and the opposition not needing to come out and play.

Konsa to Martinez must have been the most used pass the other night.
Not helped by the feeble hold-up play of Ollie and Diaby as going longer was just as bad as playing from the back.
A really bad night only brightened by the 3 subs who injected a bit of urgency into the play for 15 minutes or so.

Exactly. Im not interested in arguing.

My point is if you want to stay positive no problem you can ignore the signs that this has been coming for a while as we been pretty poor since citeh game. We have not got remotely close to that performance. I mean from what i can see no one is going OTT.

I think people have the right to voice their concerns even if its deemed to be "negative"
Negative attitude,Professor Dem C

Yes we looked really tired in that 10 mins after we scored. Not having the tiredness at all. In fact I think we have suffered more for not playing regularly over the last 2-3 weeks. There is no rhythm to our game atm.
Totally agree - I might be wrong but we seem to lack fire/rhythm when coming back from any extended break - certainly the first half of a game first back seems like that. The Torres absence is a huge blow - the bloke is a class player and unfortunately even an on form Lenglet don’t touch him.

Thing is our players did look tired (maybe mentally too) and NUFC players did show evidence of wanting it more .
Im abit worried if thats thw case silhillvilla. We had a extra days rest and thats on top of the january break. They should be up for it. It is a tad worrying for me that you cant motivate yourselves to avenge a 5-1 loss for the fans

I noticed it too, total opposite to the home game against them last season in every way.

Thought with it being a night game the atmosphere would be up a notch or two against a side we’re challenging.
I've never understood the myth of night games and this under-the-lights bollocks. Most people would rather be at home in the warm and that includes the players..
night games are so much hassle for most of us

Im abit worried if thats thw case silhillvilla. We had a extra days rest and thats on top of the january break. They should be up for it. It is a tad worrying for me that you cant motivate yourselves to avenge a 5-1 loss for the fans
So a team that hadn't lost at home for the best part of a year and won every game bar one. A team that has only lost twice sine the start of November weren't "Up for it "

Ok.

And fans having a dig at other fans for not being annoyed enough about losing - tick.

Cor blimey, I really don't miss when we used to lose all the time.
I'm not having a go at anyone, I'm just saying the clicky nonsense that goes on on this site is a little embarrassing at times.

And your comment looking for brownie points proves my point.

Of course the Villa boys were up for it . That is such a cliche when a team loses.

If they weren't 'up for it', at that level it would have been alot more than 3-1!.

Its quite simple really. Newcastle played well. Tactically were better. We are starting to have poor form and are not playing well.

Oh and maybe, just maybe despite what has been said this season on here about them they are just better than us at the moment. 8-2 aggregate win this season suggests just that tbh.

Last edited:
So a team that hadn't lost at home for the best part of a year and won every game bar one. A team that has only lost twice sine the start of November weren't "Up for it "

Ok.
You must have missed the sheffield united game where we were very fortunate to not lose the game?

And then thw magnificent second half vs united.

Or the drab game away to everton

And those were our more recent games. But continue to ignore the recent form if you like thats your choice

You must have missed the sheffield united game where we were very fortunate to not lose the game?

And those were our more recent games. But continue to ignore the recent form if you like thats your choice
Are you saying we weren't up for any of those games as well then ?

We’re not playing well at present. We all know we can play better. But that doesn’t mean we’re not ‘up for it’. I can’t see anyone one out on the pitch not trying. You obviously can. So who’s not ‘up for it’? Name players. Who is it that Unai can’t motivate all of a sudden?