Aston Villa v Newcastle Utd Match Thread - Tues 30th Jan - 8.15 | Page 28 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Newcastle Utd Match Thread - Tues 30th Jan - 8.15

I dont like newcastle but you have to give them credit yesterday. They took advantage of a side looking out of form.

Newcastle had so many players out and isak out 1st half. There is no excuses for 3 down. Fair play Newcastle you deserved it we were shit
Howe and the bronzed assistant got the tactics spot on and the application from their players was far better , they certainly looked like they wanted it more

Unai is a very intelligent and progressive coach. His attention to detail is well known and I’d be surprised if he hasn’t been up all night studying the details from last night.
Opposition managers aren’t stupid. They’ve studied our system and tactics and Howe showed that clever managers can beat our type of game. I don’t know what Unai will do to alter things to confuse the issue for the opposition but I hope it includes an upbeat in pace. It’s becoming too easy for teams to press our one paced movement of the ball.
And he might want to tell some players to drive past the defender shoot more often.

I see all the usual stereotypes are being trotted out . Only happens when dare lose a game.

Players are tired - Tick

They wanted it more - Tick

Get rid of (insert name here) he's had one bad game - Tick.

Unai is a very intelligent and progressive coach. His attention to detail is well known and I’d be surprised if he hasn’t been up all night studying the details from last night.
Opposition managers aren’t stupid. They’ve studied our system and tactics and Howe showed that clever managers can beat our type of game. I don’t know what Unai will do to alter things to confuse the issue for the opposition but I hope it includes an upbeat in pace. It’s becoming too easy for teams to press our one paced movement of the ball.
And he might want to tell some players to drive past the defender shoot more often.
This ^^^.

More pace in the movement and passing. Play forward a little more and backwards a little less, as nice as it is to keep the ball we need to create more chances, we all know Ollie is a 1 in 3 guy.

Newcastle pulled of the perfect press last night just as we did against City, didn't let us play at all, but what was disappointing for me was the lack of movement and making themselves available for others, it felt like players were hiding. McGinn and Luiz passed it to each other so many times rather than looking up and playing forwards. Kamara wasn't great but he seemed to progress the ball more than either of them last night.

Wow.
52 mins .

Shambles mate.

Hope you feel refreshed from your sleep though.

As soon as they hit the third I thought I may as well cut my losses as I start work at 6, so still not a refreshing sleep but better than it would’ve been. It was that bad at that point I don’t think I would’ve stayed much longer even if i didn’t have such an early start, they were utterly rudderless.

Did take a bit longer to walk back to my car as I didn’t fancy Aston park on my own in the pitch black, dunno why there isn’t some lights lining that road if only for match days at least.

I would think that Unai has been thinking about this dip in form for a while now and the way we have forced through this Rodgers deal suggests to me that he has a plan which includes him that is different to what we are doing atm.
It's nothing he won't have encountered before either. The reason he is an elite coach is because he finds the answers to how teams set up against him.

We'll be fine.

I would think that Unai has been thinking about this dip in form for a while now and the way we have forced through this Rodgers deal suggests to me that he has a plan which includes him that is different to what we are doing atm.
Yes, last night showed our weakness on that left side. Moreno and Luis playing tippy tappy with each other on the left of their 18 yard box.

Just had a look at the table after 22 games last season. We had 31 points (11th). Newcastle had 43 (3rd) which is what we have now. I seem to remember them having a sticky patch as well.

Not hoping to prove anything in particular with this, just an observation.

I see all the usual stereotypes are being trotted out . Only happens when dare lose a game.

Players are tired - Tick

They wanted it more - Tick

Get rid of (insert name here) he's had one bad game - Tick.
Nah I was saying we need a big improvement in performance prior to the game as we have looked off it for over a month and was told I was being negative and to get a grip.

Just had a look at the table after 22 games last season. We had 31 points (11th). Newcastle had 43 (3rd) which is what we have now. I seem to remember them having a sticky patch as well.

Newcastle did but got a second wind enabling them to qualify for the champions league, Hopefully we will follow suit.

Agree. Almost all go through sticky patches. It's how you deal with those sticky patches that define your season. Just waiting for the media to jump on the Villa blow up bandwagon now. Unai isn't stupid. He's a top coach. It will be sorted. He's not a one trick pony as some seem to suggest. He will adapt it, hopefully starting at the weekend.

It's a big ask for a kid from the Championship to step up to the Prem . We really need some players back from injury - Torres , Buendia and Ramsey Moreno fully fit .

Agree. Almost all go through sticky patches. It's how you deal with those sticky patches that define your season. Just waiting for the media to jump on the Villa blow up bandwagon now. Unai isn't stupid. He's a top coach. It will be sorted. He's not a one trick pony as some seem to suggest. He will adapt it, hopefully starting at the weekend.
Great opportunity against a team that let a two goal lead slip to lose. We know how that affects both player and team confidence after our Man U defeat.

We've been languid on the ball for a while for a good while now.
There was no point trying to impose our own pace on the ball last night as every time we tried, Newcastle just came in and nicked it.

Also, our passing is way off form. Undercooked or over-hit.
Overthinking and trying to set up the perfect shot in the box etc.
It all whiffs of a bit of panic because we have something to lose now.

Confidence brings freedom to act on instinct. It'll come.
I think Rogers will be a help freshen things up a bit and hopefully give us new options.

It's nothing he won't have encountered before either. The reason he is an elite coach is because he finds the answers to how teams set up against him.

We'll be fine.
That's what I thought. But we set up the same way we did the first time we played them and they did exactly the same to us as they did in the first match... long balls over Cash and Moreno shoulders for Gordon and Isak to run on to.

I love Unai. I do still think he's a tactical genius. But I found it utterly bizzare last night that he just seemed to forget that 5-1 thrashing and send us out for more of the same.

As soon as they hit the third I thought I may as well cut my losses as I start work at 6, so still not a refreshing sleep but better than it would’ve been. It was that bad at that point I don’t think I would’ve stayed much longer even if i didn’t have such an early start, they were utterly rudderless.

Did take a bit longer to walk back to my car as I didn’t fancy Aston park on my own in the pitch black, dunno why there isn’t some lights lining that road if only for match days at least.
Yeah, don't get me wrong ...Life goes on and that ridiculous ko time is well ... ridiculous. But you'd have been gutted with a comeback!.
I left when Zaniolo decided to half their player in the box and heard the Newcastle fans celebrating as I got to the Holte pub. I need to beat the motorway closures. Another shambles.

It’s no coincidence that VAR went for them and went against us and we lost the game. Along with this run of games, VAR and wanky referee’s have contributed. Hopefully Bailey will be fit enough to start at the weekend - he is turning out to be a massive player when we attack.

Yeah, don't get me wrong ...Life goes on and that ridiculous ko time is well ... ridiculous. But you'd have been gutted with a comeback!.
I left when Zaniolo decided to half their player in the box and heard the Newcastle fans celebrating as I got to the Holte pub. I need to beat the motorway closures. Another shambles.
Evening kick offs used to be 7:30 or 7:45 before football became an armchair drama series. 8pm was bad enough but 8:15 is bloody ridiculous! To the point where we’re thinking of appearing more generous by passing our tickets to other family members. What’s the next step 8:30? Then 9.
As for Zaniolo, well he did make me smile. I’d been demanding a more physical approach after losing out on so many 50/50s and on comes Nicolo leaving bodies all over the place 😂.