Aston Villa v Leicester City Match Thread - Sun 21 Feb @ 2.05pm - Sky | Page 38 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Leicester City Match Thread - Sun 21 Feb @ 2.05pm - Sky

Did he actually do that, I never saw it.
If he did Smith has to take action against that sort of dissent in the ranks.
Its not good if you have played a blinder, but maybe understandable, but when
you have just had a mare, and that coming on top of other poor performances he has to be dropped.
Love to know what we are paying him to sulk like a two year old in nursery school?
As someone else posted he knows his number is up at Chelsea, the new boss wont want him and he is keeping our own players out, and what for, it cant be his performances.
Well in fairness, I don't know if he threw his socks and shin pads to the stand, someone else earlier said throw so I went with it, he didn't have them in his hand when walking back on camera, so he left them somewhere.... still should be made go back and get them.

Yeah, on MOTD he said in the first half 'we just didn't get going'..........

Apart from the Arsenal match, we never do get goin' until the second half quite bloody regularly these days.

I thought it was DS's job to get them up and ready before they leave the dressing room! Silly me.............
Absolutely, there's always a comment that "i hope that was our bad half" when losing at half time... only able to show up for 1 half isn't good enough. there shouldn't be any problems motivating players for games- "this team is above us, beat them and we catch up on them, show them you're footballers/ this team is below us, they're muck, show them that you're better players" if they beat us earlier in the season, there's the motivation not to let it happen again. Previous bad performances are also enough to motivate a player not to happen again.
What does Smith say at half time that can't be said prematch? He was saying after Brighton he didn't do a debrief cos they were so bad......so they got away with it and no repercussions.

Villa are so obviously a confidence side, if the opposition score first, our heads drop and we usually concede another fairly soon. If we're not allowed pass and play, we panic. So so easy to play against, press the players, don't give them time on the ball and man mark grealish. This should be expected at this stage. If there is no plan B, then expect every game to look like this.

None of these disappointments matter as we are 8th and above Spurs and Arsenal. And in case you don't remember, we escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth, so as long as we stay up we can ignore these disappointments !
Always look on the bright side of life? Martinez, Cash,Konza,Mings,Targett,Jack,Luis, John and Ollie. That's 9 players of premiership quality. Wont count the nippers as we all know that many will fall by the wayside. Some saw Deans team selection as a suicide note and that's how it turned out. By all means, play with two wide men if they're named Graydon or Morley. Supported Dean 100 per cent last season, thought hed learned his lesson during Lockdown 1 but same errors. Objective is to wi games not to be aesthetically pleasing.

I think his walk back sort of sums up his career so far. Stalling and looking lost, so had to stop.

There's something in him stopping to sit on his own for a couple of minutes. If you were angry at your own performance, you would just walk back with your head down. He’s had to take some time to get his thoughts in order, I can only assume he’s angry at being subbed.
I thought it was typical of performances for us, he had to stop & have a rest

No chance that it's in writing. But I'm sure conversations were had to let him know he'd get more opportunities with us, otherwise why would he have come here.... He's had those opportunities and aside from a couple of moments, he's blowing it. I said it last week, I think a sports psychologist could be a big benefit to him...
Nah, Just don't think he has the appetite for the Modern game -

Yeah, on MOTD he said in the first half 'we just didn't get going'..........

Apart from the Arsenal match, we never do get goin' until the second half quite bloody regularly these days.

I thought it was DS's job to get them up and ready before they leave the dressing room! Silly me.............

BUT...the best first half performance we had (Burnley) ended with conceding 3 in the second half.

Maybe they are scared to get them too up for it in the first half.
:jangel:

Absolutely, there's always a comment that "i hope that was our bad half" when losing at half time... only able to show up for 1 half isn't good enough. there shouldn't be any problems motivating players for games- "this team is above us, beat them and we catch up on them, show them you're footballers/ this team is below us, they're muck, show them that you're better players" if they beat us earlier in the season, there's the motivation not to let it happen again. Previous bad performances are also enough to motivate a player not to happen again.
What does Smith say at half time that can't be said prematch? He was saying after Brighton he didn't do a debrief cos they were so bad......so they got away with it and no repercussions.

Villa are so obviously a confidence side, if the opposition score first, our heads drop and we usually concede another fairly soon. If we're not allowed pass and play, we panic. So so easy to play against, press the players, don't give them time on the ball and man mark grealish. This should be expected at this stage. If there is no plan B, then expect every game to look like this.

I like Dean but there are a lot of weaknesses to him.
Too soft on lockdown breeches, doesn't see off form players, doesn't change tactics during a game, poor subbing, wasn't even watching in the last few minutes yesterday, where is the free-kick/corner improvement, zonal marking,....even our throw-ins are crap. All things Dean can influence.

After writing all that....hmmm....is he the best manager we can have?

For me having a Traore, Elghazi & Barclay in the starting line-up is a definite No.
Dean doesn't have a Plan B or the squad good enough for an alternative
Thanks ROBBO agree 100 per cent. We were playing Trez, Anwar and Connor in the same team at times last season. Dont have to be a football expert to know that was asking for trouble. Need a defensive midfielder asap. Marvellous,if only short term is an option but not as a one man midfield. Agree we should chill,a great season so far. Two years ago we were candidates for the old division 3, now we can beat liverpool, Arsenal and draw at Chelsea .
Dean remains in credit for me. He listened last season playing more pragmatically and we reaped the reward.As a club,we are on the up and l cant wait to roar on the boys at Villa Park.

No doubt we will strengthen again in the summer. Sawiris and Edens mean business. I'd have no worries about squad depth if we were in Europe next season
Yeah but that Europa league is like playing in another league if your in the qualifiers and with the Euro's a lot of our first team won't get much time off if we played them in the early rounds.Absolutely no doubt we will strengthen again in the summer but I think it will only be two maybe three quality players who will probably be internationals so we won't have a lot of pre season with them so I just don't think we will be ready.

For me having a Traore, Elghazi & Barclay in the starting line-up is a definite No.
Dean doesn't have a Plan B or the squad good enough for an alternative
I said yesterday it's like starting a game with 8 players. Hopefully project Barkley is over. Traore can only be used in certain games , probably be good in Europe if we ever get there.

Always look on the bright side of life? Martinez, Cash,Konza,Mings,Targett,Jack,Luis, John and Ollie. That's 9 players of premiership quality. Wont count the nippers as we all know that many will fall by the wayside. Some saw Deans team selection as a suicide note and that's how it turned out. By all means, play with two wide men if they're named Graydon or Morley. Supported Dean 100 per cent last season, thought hed learned his lesson during Lockdown 1 but same errors. Objective is to wi games not to be aesthetically pleasing.

Number one objective of any game is to win but there has to be a way to achieve that. Can't go into games by just telling them to win the game. When Jack does not play we look clueless. Remember how shite we were when we played Wolves away last season?

horrible weekend again, the misses was ducking and diving, , a bit of steel in midfield was needed, at this rate we cant afford jack to be out, anything can happen , such as getting caught in the relegation battle we badly need ball winners, fulham seem to be on the up, so that leaves a spot for anyone who wants it, seanie

Pre kick-off , once it was confirmed Jack was out, the preamble became - time for the others to step up, we can't be a one man team we are 8th !! Etc etc

Sadly the game confirm What we all feared