Aston Villa v Leicester City Match Thread - Sun 21 Feb @ 2.05pm - Sky | Page 36 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Leicester City Match Thread - Sun 21 Feb @ 2.05pm - Sky

It was all a bit weird how Barkley took his boots off and sat on the advertising hoarding, almost symbolic like he'd thrown in the towel/hung up his boots

It's why I'm thinking it was internal rather than pissed at being subbed. He looked broken, it was the kind of routine you expect from a player who knows they've just had an injury that doesn't necessarily hurt, but they know they are out for months.

Total resignation.

Any footballer should understand, if you play shit, you get stick. No point in sulking about it, just try and prove people wrong next time.

If it's anything like his reaction to being subbed off today, well, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't bother showing up to the stadium.
I'm probably in the minority here (as per normal!) and I don't particularly like (nor have ever really rated) Ross Barkley.

But today, I felt his reaction to being subbed was more a reflection of his disappointment and frustration at his own inadequate performance than the decision to replace him.

Of course, it was a totally ostentatious show on Barkley's part, but I personally don't think there was any petulance involved.

Either way, he was shite on the day, and has been since returning from his injury.

The amount of times people got on Matt Targetts back when he came, but now he's knuckled down and putting in the effort every game, you can't knock any player for trying and i think that's what we expect from Barkley, at least make an effort and fans will give you time. look as if your above it all and they will want you gone.

It was all a bit weird how Barkley took his boots off and sat on the advertising hoarding, almost symbolic like he'd thrown in the towel/hung up his boots

It did feel like - at the grand old age of 27 - that this is signalling a big downward spiral
to Barkely’s career. I don’t know if in his head he wants or expects to play for Chelsea or England, but he does feel like a lost cause and we were a bit of a lifeboat for him for his second wind.

Perhaps - all things considered - we’re too much for him? He can’t come here, stroll about, score the odd screamer or do the odd flick, and think he’s going to be treated like royalty, it doesn’t work like that here.

He was a good try-before-buying, but each and every game pretty much from a phenomenal high, I want him less and less. I tipped over into the not wanting him camp a few weeks ago, and I’m about 75% no after the past few games.

I'm probably in the minority here (as per normal!) and I don't particularly like (nor have ever really rated) Ross Barkley.

But today, I felt his reaction to being subbed was more a reflection of his disappointment and frustration at his own inadequate performance than the decision to replace him.

Of course, it was a totally ostentatious show on Barkley's part, but I personally don't think there was any petulance involved.

Either way, he was shite on the day, and has been since returning from his injury.
I really hope this is the case. He never responds well to being subbed off and I used to take your view on it but today just seemed far too self-absorbed and down right petulant.

I think his walk back sort of sums up his career so far. Stalling and looking lost, so had to stop.

There's something in him stopping to sit on his own for a couple of minutes. If you were angry at your own performance, you would just walk back with your head down. He’s had to take some time to get his thoughts in order, I can only assume he’s angry at being subbed.

IOf course, it was a totally ostentatious show on Barkley's part, but I personally don't think there was any petulance involved.

We all know he'd never have done that if fans were there. I can more than accept he went into his own head and forgot about the cameras - because if it wasn't for shock jock bollocks these days, how would we have known otherwise.

The cameras are supposed to be showing the football...not focusing on players, managers chewing gum or chatting and so on.

I think his walk back sort of sums up his career so far. Stalling and looking lost, so had to stop.

There's something in him stopping to sit on his own for a couple of minutes.

Not wanting to repeat myself, but no mate.

The kicking the bottle was more angry at being subbed than this one (and I don't think that was angry at being subbed either). Sitting down in isolation like that is broken, frustrated, overthinking your disappointment, disgusted and confused with yourself as to why it's not working.

The only thing he was missing was a beer.

If it was purely anger at being subbed he'd have stormed off...given some words - hit the tunnel or a mix. The fact he took the long way around and then made it longer by sitting down - it was internal.

Not wanting to repeat myself, but no mate.

The kicking the bottle was more angry at being subbed than this one (and I don't think that was angry at being subbed either). Sitting down in isolation like that is broken, frustrated, overthinking your disappointment, disgusted and confused with yourself as to why it's not working.

The only thing he was missing was a beer.

If it was purely anger at being subbed he'd have stormed off...given some words - hit the tunnel or a mix. The fact he took the long way around and then made it longer by sitting down - it was internal.

Hope you’re right. Perhaps with Southgate there that’s why he was disappointed, perhaps Smith gave him the game to prove to Southgate he was good enough.

I see what should be a mature experienced player looking like a stroppy teenager. I don’t see a smart, intelligent, driven player like the Ross Barkley of old.

Whatever it is Mike, he needs to get his head right, as you say, he looked like 20 woodbines is needed more than goals when it should be the other way round. We have him all season so its up to him.

Hope you’re right. Perhaps with Southgate there that’s why he was disappointed, perhaps Smith gave him the game to prove to Southgate he was good enough.

I see what should be a mature experienced player looking like a stroppy teenager. I don’t see a smart, intelligent, driven player like the Ross Barkley of old.

Wrong thread maybe, but I've had a couple of those moments in my life (not football lol) and it was what instantly hit me as I recognised the body language so it hit home. Southgate being there obviously amping up the frustration, but this is where he can help himself by not trying to create a moment of magic that shows 'he's back' but put the legwork in for the team - sacrifice himself so to speak and look for the small wins and gain confidence and form like that.

Yep keep making excuses for the lazy piece of shit. Same thing his whole career. Different fans same common denominator.

Get rid. Get someone in who actually gives a shit and can at least put the effort in. If you try and fail then that’s one thing. Not trying and then failing - unforgivable in my book.

Barkley reminds me of the rough bigger boy that used to play on the under 16s Sunday league team....the kid that never turned up for training but showed up on match days hungover and still always played, probably sparked a cigarette at half time. Believed his own hype. Made others around him nervous trying not to annoy him.... but when he wasn't around, the team got back to playing without the fear. Kicking the water bottles / taking his time walking to the bench today are his way off being "cool" but just looking like a div. Throwing his boots, socks and shin pads into the holte was just silly.... smith should have made him go back and get them. Has done nothing to warrant getting picked, so should be dropped.