Aston Villa v Leicester City Match Thread - Sun 21 Feb @ 2.05pm - Sky | Page 37 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Leicester City Match Thread - Sun 21 Feb @ 2.05pm - Sky

The team ratings given by the Birmingham Mail confirms my fears with Elmo.
The fact that you are believing anything written by the Birmingham Mail is more alarming..... :unsure: Although to be fair, they have gone two full weeks now without claiming we're about to sign Milot Rashica.....

Barkley reminds me of the rough bigger boy that used to play on the under 16s Sunday league team....the kid that never turned up for training but showed up on match days hungover and still always played, probably sparked a cigarette at half time. Believed his own hype. Made others around him nervous trying not to annoy him.... but when he wasn't around, the team got back to playing without the fear. Kicking the water bottles / taking his time walking to the bench today are his way off being "cool" but just looking like a div. Throwing his boots, socks and shin pads into the holte was just silly.... smith should have made him go back and get them. Has done nothing to warrant getting picked, so should be dropped.
He and McGinn looked positively tubby in comparison to the Leicester midfield. As pointed out on Motd the lack of tracking back or midfield defensive cover was embarrassing.

Is it in the agreement with Chelsea that this waste of space has to start as long as he is able to??
No chance that it's in writing. But I'm sure conversations were had to let him know he'd get more opportunities with us, otherwise why would he have come here.... He's had those opportunities and aside from a couple of moments, he's blowing it. I said it last week, I think a sports psychologist could be a big benefit to him...

There must be changes. Barkley - OUT, Elmo - OUT, Luiz - OUT, El Ghazi - OUT.

IN - Sanson, Kesler, Nakamba and Ramsey.

What's the chances........ about the same as a fucking snowball in hell!
No chance. Sanson might get 10 minutes at the end if we are 3-0 down. The others are just bench fillers in Smith's mind.

There must be changes. Barkley - OUT, Elmo - OUT, Luiz - OUT, El Ghazi - OUT.

IN - Sanson, Kesler, Nakamba and Ramsey.

What's the chances........ about the same as a fucking snowball in hell!
Couple of months ago I would have called you lunatic for suggesting this but were virtually safe from relegation the Europa league I don't think our squad is big enough for it yet so I hope we don't qualify for it.So your suggestion makes perfect sense bit harsh on Elmo I think he gives his all but obviously he's never gonna keep a quality player like Barnes quiet.Looking at the goals yesterday Madisons I think Nakamba would have got a foot in there and the second one Cash would have been where Barnes was so who knows maybe Kesler with youth on his side would have too.Barkley what's happened to him his decision making is fucking awful and just always turns into the player instead of spinning away from him he looks like he has give up to me surely Sanson can't be any worse.As for Ramsey could he play Jack's role or would have to rely on Targett to supply the width but worth ago I suppose.

Any footballer should understand, if you play shit, you get stick. No point in sulking about it, just try and prove people wrong next time.
I appreciate that this is the Leicester match thread, but your point is very valid. I know that Conor Hourihane has his shortcomings but he is always willing to try harder - hence his move to Swansea rather than bench warm. It seems like Ross Barkley is the opposite and when things are not going his way he just gives up.

Smith should have made him go back and get them. Has done nothing to warrant getting picked, so should be dropped.
Did he throw his kit into the stands? I did wonder where his socks and pads were, but he was carrying his boots. He should be fined for walking barefoot and risking an injury.
He also needs to read the Sky interview that Dean Smith provided. Smith was not the most gifted player and played for Walsall and Orient but made a good fist of it and always wanted to be a success. Barkley is talented without doubt but he needs to get his attitude sorted. As Arnold Palmer said about golf and sport in general, the most important space on the sports field "Is the six inches between your ears"

Barkley reminds me of the rough bigger boy that used to play on the under 16s Sunday league team....the kid that never turned up for training but showed up on match days hungover and still always played, probably sparked a cigarette at half time. Believed his own hype. Made others around him nervous trying not to annoy him.... but when he wasn't around, the team got back to playing without the fear. Kicking the water bottles / taking his time walking to the bench today are his way off being "cool" but just looking like a div. Throwing his boots, socks and shin pads into the holte was just silly.... smith should have made him go back and get them. Has done nothing to warrant getting picked, so should be dropped.

You really think Smith has the balls to do that considering he won't drop him despite being shite?

Couple of months ago I would have called you lunatic for suggesting this but were virtually safe from relegation the Europa league I don't think our squad is big enough for it yet so I hope we don't qualify for it.So your suggestion makes perfect sense bit harsh on Elmo I think he gives his all but obviously he's never gonna keep a quality player like Barnes quiet.Looking at the goals yesterday Madisons I think Nakamba would have got a foot in there and the second one Cash would have been where Barnes was so who knows maybe Kesler with youth on his side would have too.Barkley what's happened to him his decision making is fucking awful and just always turns into the player instead of spinning away from him he looks like he has give up to me surely Sanson can't be any worse.As for Ramsey could he play Jack's role or would have to rely on Targett to supply the width but worth ago I suppose.

Yeah. Kesler did a decent enough job on Mane I seem to recall.

When you have to keep on resorting to a half-time dressing room bollocking then somethings not right and all this talk from Dean Smith about how he is "disappointed with the first-half performance" is starting to sound like a stuck record now.

You and the coaching staff are the ones that send the team out so how about looking at what you are doing wrong to stop this from happening?

If we started the game with the way we started and played in the second-half then we may well have got something out of this game?

Smith disappointed by Villa's first-half performance

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/football/56145616

Last edited:
No doubt we will strengthen again in the summer. Sawiris and Edens mean business. I'd have no worries about squad depth if we were in Europe next season

Throwing his boots, socks and shin pads into the holte was just silly.... smith should have made him go back and get them. Has done nothing to warrant getting picked, so should be dropped
Did he actually do that, I never saw it.
If he did Smith has to take action against that sort of dissent in the ranks.
Its not good if you have played a blinder, but maybe understandable, but when
you have just had a mare, and that coming on top of other poor performances he has to be dropped.
Love to know what we are paying him to sulk like a two year old in nursery school?
As someone else posted he knows his number is up at Chelsea, the new boss wont want him and he is keeping our own players out, and what for, it cant be his performances.

When you have to keep on resorting to a half-time dressing room bollocking then somethings not right and all this talk from Dean Smith about how he is "disappointed with the first-half performance" is starting to sound like a stuck record now.

You and the coaching staff are the ones that send the team out so how about looking at what you are doing wrong to stop this from happening?

If we started the game with the way we started and played in the second-half then we may well have got something out of this game?

Yeah, on MOTD he said in the first half 'we just didn't get going'..........

Apart from the Arsenal match, we never do get goin' until the second half quite bloody regularly these days.

I thought it was DS's job to get them up and ready before they leave the dressing room! Silly me.............

None of these disappointments matter as we are 8th and above Spurs and Arsenal. And in case you don't remember, we escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth, so as long as we stay up we can ignore these disappointments !