Aston Villa v Leeds United, Sunday 23rd Dec, 1.30pm - Match Thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Leeds United, Sunday 23rd Dec, 1.30pm - Match Thread

I've had to work today but knew we were 2 0 up, I didn't think we would hold on and it sounds like having whelan and hurry killed us in the 2nd half. Still lots of work to do to get in those play offs but everyone can see defensively we are mid table.

Not sure I agree with all the anti Hourihane and Whelan comments today. Most of the danger from Leeds was coming down the flanks. They were waiting for us to squeeze them up the pitch then just played it round us.

I like dean smith but the last two games he has got it tactically wrong he has to find a way of playing attacking football with out grealish. Whelan is not the answer.

Ideally he would have played Bjarnason. But Barney is only just back from injury; coming on from the bench was wise.

Fair play to Leeds. They threw everything they had into the second half, and it payed off, with a bit of luck, and some rubbish from Elmo. That sort of determination, plus a more settled team under Bielsa, will probably get them promoted, although it won't be enough for the PL.

If we can add to what we've got in January we're still in the PL race. Today showed that in spite of the talents we've got it's not enough.

22 we've shipped at home now - which is worst in the championship
(and 4th worst champs defence overall)

killing us the back four and keeper - and they've all been
bad. (axel or no axel)

Fair play I guess to Leeds in the end.

Last edited:
Individual mistakes keep costing us. Fair play to Leeds, the constant wide balls and intensity put us on the back foot. If they keep that up I expect them to occupy one of the auto places.

At the end of the day we were less than a minute from equalling the team at the top of the table, and without two of our best players. Plus we would have won if it hadn’t been for one useless twat.

What did he do wrong today though??!!

I agree that he’s not where we need him to be yet - but to blame him today when he’s probably saved us a couple of goals is a very very poor argument.
To be a defender in front of this clown must be a shocking experience. He is clueless on every cross that’s comes in aswell. Don’t matter now anyway he has been replaced

Leeds much better on the day. We’re 5th worst defence in terms of goals conceded in the league. Injuries haven’t helped. Whelan and Hourihane bit part players. Not strong enough. At least Dean knows what they’re like now.