Aston Villa v Leeds United, Sunday 23rd Dec, 1.30pm - Match Thread | Page 14 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Leeds United, Sunday 23rd Dec, 1.30pm - Match Thread

What did he do wrong today though??!!

I agree that he’s not where we need him to be yet - but to blame him today when he’s probably saved us a couple of goals is a very very poor argument.
He is paid well to make saves if you watch the 3rd goal he is rooted to his line other keepers would have been moving forward to try and block put of the forward when you look at the goals he concedes he is rooted to his line when they pass him the others he is in the 6 yard box due to him flapping dropping the ball

So disappointed but Leeds gave us a lesson all over the pitch.

We desperately need a good pair of fullbacks who know how to defend and are not so positionally useless like Elmo and Hutton.....Just how many goals have come from these 2 this season doesn't bear thinking about. Every team we play these days now targets our flanks and you can see why.

The lingering ghost of Steve Bruce and his utter incompetence will take a long time to clear from Villa Park and yet the twat will walk straight back into football with another mug club prepared to pay him £2 million a year.....F*****g madness.

My old man, a dyed in the wool racist, used to suggest that people should go back to the jungle. Problem was those people were born in Birmingham. He didn't think he was racist either. Perhaps the need for someone to "go back" is part of the racism?
What’s wrong with going home

Well beaten in the end by the better side.
Poor team selection, poor Subs and no plan B from Deano .
Only one team going to win that when they got back from 2-0 down, can't argue they were better than us can we

The goalkeeper is sorted so now we need 2 new competent full-backs and a commanding centre-back who can attack the ball in our penalty area and ALL are desperately needed to stand any chance of a play-off place.

Otherwise to continue with these existing players means we will have to score at least 3 goals every game and that's too much to ask.

Not one of Dean smith's better days either with the wrong subs.

I also thought Leeds looked fitter than us but I bet that had a far better pre-season getting fit than anything Bruce and his cronies could give.

Last edited:
must say id rather give ohare a run than that pensioner Whelan. its blindingly obvious that hutton and elhomady are costing us goals coupled with that keeper. New keeper coming in and hopefully some defenders. is Richie delaet worse than elhomady?

Better than us today definitely but very predictable. Nothing in midfield, completely overrun and wingers err on being lazy.
No credible defensive options left for Dean. January sales so important for us.

He is paid well to make saves if you watch the 3rd goal he is rooted to his line other keepers would have been moving forward to try and block put of the forward when you look at the goals he concedes he is rooted to his line when they pass him the others he is in the 6 yard box due to him flapping dropping the ball

Save your vitriol for players who did wrong today - not ones who have done wrong on previous matches.

Disgusting display in the second half from the lot of them. Brucey hangover - couple of injuries suddenly we have no defenders, no surprise how crap they were today when half of them were playing out of position

must say id rather give ohare a run than that pensioner Whelan. its blindingly obvious that hutton and elhomady are costing us goals coupled with that keeper. New keeper coming in and hopefully some defenders. is Richie delaet worse than elhomady?

De Laet is in Australia

Another game that was enjoyable to watch. Smith is on a steep learning curve and may not be the answer but fair play to him and how he has gone about trying to entertain. Where we are now I think is a fair reflection. We know the players and whether they can be coached or are simply shyte. Make no mistake this new keeper will make such a difference and that’s just for starters

Agree Tarzansbrother, and Leeds were very good/could have had 1 maybe 2 pens.

Thought Whelan had a decent game today but really am not sure we should (in fact I think we shouldn't!) play him and Hourihane (have to play Hourihane in my humble) together, no speed so we get overrun.

Elmo is just a poor excuse for a full back, not rated him since he's come. He cost us two goals, the first was down to Bree as well to be fair.

It was entertaining, I'd have taken a draw, but gutting to lose like that, their 1st and 3rd were totally sloppy goals to give away.