Aston Villa v Leeds United, Sunday 23rd Dec, 1.30pm - Match Thread | Page 15 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Leeds United, Sunday 23rd Dec, 1.30pm - Match Thread

Elmo not good enough. He's not been great since Bruce left. Dean now knows, if he didn't already, that he has to seriously strengthen the defence in January. Elmo's actually costing us more points than Nyland.

Misery until we thrash Swans on Boxing Day. Down to 11th, and Blues above us...

not to scapegoat him for today, but as some of you will have noticed, I've not rated him from pretty much the get go. Not the best defensive wise and doesn't set up nearly enough chances (as he did apparently for Hull and... err.. I forget where else)

Just a nothing player to me and he did cost us today, as said, Bree was also wrong for the 1st goal.

I really hope we can get another CB and a LB and I hope Smith has a better clue than Bruce. As I said, the whole games in december are all easy to win. Let's hope it will start asap.

Smith has done very well since coming in, we were in a mess, not fit, no real shape, awful 'tactics'. Games like today were going to happen, Leeds were the better team.

Actually agreed with my steward mate before the game today, it's more likely we'll be ready next season. Hell of a lot to do to reverse years of poor possession, sloppy defending, not going forward.

He's already got us into a better shape.

As said, (before the game as well) Whelan (played well today) and Hourihane (what a sweet goal) ((so not slating either)) I don't think work well together, because of the lack of pace.

I'd love to see O'Hare have a bit of a run BUT I'm not watching reserves and don't (obviously) see training. I was told he'd tapered off a bit last season. So I could be way out there.

Gutting to have gifted them the late goal, but they did have good penalty claims. Just thought once 2 up we could have made Leeds work harder to get the ball.

I liked the fact that Dean tried to shake things up, shame when he was bringing Anwar El Ghazi on (at a decent time) that Leeds scored.

Disappointing, yup, for sure. But Smith is turning things around, it will take time.

I really hope we can get another CB and a LB and I hope Smith has a better clue than Bruce. As I said, the whole games in december are all easy to win. Let's hope it will start asap.

crucial transfer window, not sure what his options are buying/loaning with the ridiculous FFP rules but hopefully we have some leeway (leeway that doesn't include having to sell Jack!)

I was only able to catch the second half, but from what I saw:

- jury still out on el ghazie.undoubtedly skilled, but when things are not going our/his way, he seems to sulk and throw his arms in the air every time he has a bad touch (which was most of the time)

- wingers did not press/work hard enough

- defence as we all know needs sorting, but midfield is as important. Without grealish the ball just keeps coming back. Absolutely agree with fear can’t have whelan and hourihane.

- also not getting too negative: let’s see what January brings. Always an uphill battle with the start we had and the defensive mess left by Bruce. Beaten by the better team. Not judging smith until it’s his team.

not to scapegoat him for today, but as some of you will have noticed, I've not rated him from pretty much the get go. Not the best defensive wise and doesn't set up nearly enough chances (as he did apparently for Hull and... err.. I forget where else)

Just a nothing player to me and he did cost us today, as said, Bree was also wrong for the 1st goal.
Typical Bruce style player, hard working with no real quality. There’s a reason despite several clubs only 1 manager in England has actually signed him.. no one else rates him. He’s not a defender and he certainly isn’t an attacker either, just head down aimlessly run up and down the wing like a headless chicken

Well beaten in the end by the better side.
Poor team selection, poor Subs and no plan B from Deano .
Only one team going to win that when they got back from 2-0 down, can't argue they were better than us can we

we can't, looked, unlike previous seasons, like a Leeds team that won't capitulate and mess up their early good work this season.

Some of their players looked like 12 year olds as well. By the fact they looked that young, I think that means I'm officially old doesn't it mate?

What futures they have in front of them. I think I hate them! :lol:

Ideally he would have played Bjarnason. But Barney is only just back from injury; coming on from the bench was wise.

No what i was trying to say was before the stoke game we were playing an attacking midfield of hourihane, grealish, Mcginn with hourihane being the holding player and two all out attacking mids since grealish got injured he is playing a defensive midfield of Whelan, hourihane, mcginn why not leave hourihane where he was and play someone like o'hare or another striker instead of playing whelan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd better do the player ratings now before I forget what I saw. Better side won but we just didn't play like we can as a team or as individuals today.

Nyland: 5 let in 3 goals, never makes "the" save does he. Bye Bye

Elmo:4 Cost us the game with feeble defending

Bree: 5 First game in ages and out of position so we'll let him off

Chester: 5 Struggled against the lively Leeds attackers.

Hutton: 4 Ran ragged by their number 10, he's not a left back is he.

Whelan: 5 Got in a few blocks but he's not the answer is he. Too slow

McGinn: 7 Played on his own in midfield, he's very consistent.

Hourihane:5 Scored a good goal with his 4th touch of the ball on 17 minutes. "Chased " shadows for the rest of the game.

Kodj:6 Wrestled well and set up Hourihanes goal. Never covered Elmo

Abraham: 6 Took his goal well but lacked support.

Bolasie: 5 left Hutton totally exposed and should have been subbed for Albert, not Hogan.

Subs:

Hogan: 2 What on earth was Dean thinking to put this clown on. Gave it away every time. Makes Gabby look like Messi, please be gone in Jan.
Barney: 6 Why was this lad on the bench and not starting.
El Ghazi: 5 Crowded out, he has the skill but no support.

Coach:
Smith : 5 That midfield didn't work against Stoke and he tried the same again and failed again, Leeds aren't Stoke. Poor today allowed Hutton to be run ragged and did nothing to counter it.

Well beaten in the end by the better side.
Poor team selection, poor Subs and no plan B from Deano .
Only one team going to win that when they got back from 2-0 down, can't argue they were better than us can we
I’m not sure who else Smith could have selected in the team instead? Perhaps Tuanzebe at centre back with a broken foot? Grealish in attack with an injured shin? Kalinic in goal before he’s registere to actually play?

Bruce left us in a mess in the summer, Smith can only use what he’s got and in some key positions there’s simply not enough

I'd better do the player ratings now before I forget what I saw. Better side won but we just didn't play like we can as a team or as individuals today.

Nyland: 5 let in 3 goals, never makes "the" save does he. Bye Bye

Elmo:4 Cost us the game with feeble defending

Bree: 5 First game in ages and out of position so we'll let him off

Chester: 5 Struggled against the lively Leeds attackers.

Hutton: 4 Ran ragged by their number 10, he's not a left back is he.

Whelan: 5 Got in a few blocks but he's not the answer is he. Too slow

McGinn: 7 Played on his own in midfield, he's very consistent.

Hourihane:5 Scored a good goal with his 4th touch of the ball on 17 minutes. "Chased " shadows for the rest of the game.

Kodj:6 Wrestled well and set up Hourihanes goal. Never covered Elmo

Abraham: 6 Took his goal well but lacked support.

Bolasie: 5 left Hutton totally exposed and should have been subbed for Albert, not Hogan.

Subs:

Hogan: 2 What on earth was Dean thinking to put this clown on. Gave it away every time. Makes Gabby look like Messi, please be gone in Jan.
Barney: 6 Why was this lad on the bench and not starting.
El Ghazi: 5 Crowded out, he has the skill but no support.

Coach:
Smith : 5 That midfield didn't work against Stoke and he tried the same again and failed again, Leeds aren't Stoke. Poor today allowed Hutton to be run ragged and did nothing to counter it.

Agree with 95% of that. But I thought McGinn was very poor in the second half, especially the last 10-15 minutes....
Having said that, Leeds have superior levels of fitness, hence why we couldn’t connect a simple pass in the last twenty minutes, while they swarmed all over us....
I like the style and philosophy under Smith, but there is a time when you need to realize that it’s time to just see a game out. A draw would’ve been a blow, but to lose in that fashion is stupidly naive.

Villan 57 I concur with everything you said.....that must make you a genius???. Tactically Smithy probably got it bádly wrong today. Hopefully he will not make the same mistakes, but a massive rebuilding job to be done over the next few years. I wish people would stop talking about promotion, just not realistic.
G.T.

Barny must now start if fit. Gutted to have lost that late and joke defending by Elmo. I have complete faith in Smith to sort this out just give him some time. I also believe we will make the play off lottery and then its pot luck.

I also think next season will be ours if we fail this year? Currently the attack and some of the midfield is top 2 and the rest are mid table standard. Keep the faith, Leeds are a decent side for the championship.

Agree with 95% of that. But I thought McGinn was very poor in the second half, especially the last 10-15 minutes....
Having said that, Leeds have superior levels of fitness, hence why we couldn’t connect a simple pass in the last twenty minutes, while they swarmed all over us....
I like the style and philosophy under Smith, but there is a time when you need to realize that it’s time to just see a game out. A draw would’ve been a blow, but to lose in that fashion is stupidly naive.

I sort of agree but SJM on a poor day is still out star player ,

I’m not sure who else Smith could have selected in the team instead? Perhaps Tuanzebe at centre back with a broken foot? Grealish in attack with an injured shin? Kalinic in goal before he’s registere to actually play?

Bruce left us in a mess in the summer, Smith can only use what he’s got and in some key positions there’s simply not enough

We have plenty of players David, O'Hare could have replaced Jack , Barney instead of Whelan , Jake Doyle Hayes who was in the warm-up but never made the bench. Then, of course, Albert who should have replaced Bolasie late on but he brought on the hapless Hogan who couldn't trap a wet bag of cement.
I'm a big fan of Smith I've wanted him here for the last 18 months but he fecked up today

Can't add much to what's been said here. We were beaten by a team who identified our weaknesses and exploited them. Other teams will have taken note. I don't think Deano can do much by shuffling this pack. We need a new defence.