Aston Villa v Hull City, Sat 5th August 2017, 5.30pm | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Hull City, Sat 5th August 2017, 5.30pm

JuanPabloAngel

Alert Team
Here we go then.....

First match thread of the season. What do we reckon?

I'm going for a nervy, unconvincing 1-0 win. John Terry to score at the Holte End.

:94:

Bang up for this I can't wait.

Soooooooo important to start with a win , and I don't care how we get it.

8-0 to us.

I hope we see better link up play between the midfield and forwards and more midfielders getting into the box to support and hopefully take goal chances.

Until that improves we won't see lots of goals this season so this could well be another tight game with a 1-0 win for the Villa boys?

Good luck to Steve Bruce and the squad for this forthcoming season.

Up The Villa :94: :94: :94:

Hull seem to have sold a lot of players; whether that's a help to them or a hindrance that remains to be seen. This is a test of Bruce's pre-season; if all has actually gone well we should have a good game and a good chance of winning.

No Grealish, Kodjia, Jedi or Adomah, so I'd be tempted to go for:-

Johnstone (or Steer if not fit)

Hutton Chester Terry Taylor

Elmo Lansbury Whelan Green

Gabby Hogan

Gabby can cause problems even if he can't score, Hogan is capable of taking defences unawares. Not sure about Lansbury but who else have we got?

Bench: Steer, Bree, Samba, Bjarnason, Hourihane, Davis, O'Hare

I think we'll play for 0-0 until Koj is fit .

Only problems gabby causes MTP is for Villa , constantly losing the ball and hiding behind their CB .
In saying that we all know Bruce will persist with him until he loses his job

0-0

Bruce will play 1 up top. He's already said the team won't change much from Watford whether that's first or 2nd half is anyone's guess but I suspect its more likely first half with someone replacing Grealish.

Steer

Hutton Chester Terry Taylor

Elmohamandy Wheelan Lansbury ? Green

Agbonlahor

We'll shut them out but fail to score.

Would love to be surprised with pacy attacking football, going for the throat from minute one.

Doubt that is going to be the plan so turgid fare will continue.

All that said I guess the PL is the promised land and if we get there whichever way we do will prove to have been the right way

Although I fancy Bjarnason for the ? Slot. Hed not up to speed but has energy. Hed chase the ball all day.

I feel weirdly optimistic about this one. Obviously that will be beaten out of me by full time Saturday as I face up to the crushing hopelessness of reality but till then I'll say 2-0 villa, Hogan with both.

Me season ticket arriving before Friday would be a good start as I always travel down Friday absolutely crazy they have left it so late this year.But apart from that anything but a win will be a very poor start in my book as Hull are very much in free fall with an owner every bit as bad as Lerner.

I always believe if you put a bet on 0-0 first game of the season, more times than not you will win.

And current Villa v current Hull looks a stonewall banker for it.

0-0