Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread - Sun 21 June - 4.15pm | Page 4 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread - Sun 21 June - 4.15pm

Total desperation from the relegation fodder, which I would absolutely do if I were in the same position.

I think its all too early for that, colleagues in China say things are getting back to normal and we are only a few weeks behind them. So I think they will pause it for a month and then extend by 2 weeks to have some intense weeks of games, and back to normal for everything else (International).

I sadly dont realistically see this as our get out of jail card

What did you say, I was too busy staring at your avatar :grinning:

Apparently several club owners will be proposing just that at an emergency meeting this morning. I imagine those will be the owners of Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich, Brighton, West Ham and us.
If issues continue, which they probably will, why not run this and next season together in league terms so that those who have done well can hold onto their success and those who haven't are not condemned without at least fulfilling their fixtures?

If tomorrow is off then that's 3 games we have to re arrange and that will depend on when we start playing again as I can see that they will suspend matches for a period of time.

There is no doubt the league will get postponed for 3-4 weeks at least, several other European leagues are now implementing this.
The only way we can finish the season properly is to hope the break is only that short. If it continues any longer 6-8 weeks or more, they either have to conjure up some play off system to decide on promotion and relegations, or completely cancel it altogether. I cant see them cancelling it due to the likelihood of any club in European spots, or challenging for promotion threatening to sue the PL.

The only sensible thing to do is to declare this season null and void and restart the season in September. Sorry West Brom, Leeds etc.

That would be brilliant especially regarding West Brom, Liverpool and Leeds.

There is no doubt the league will get postponed for 3-4 weeks at least, several other European leagues are now implementing this.
The only way we can finish the season properly is to hope the break is only that short. If it continues any longer 6-8 weeks or more, they either have to conjure up some play off system to decide on promotion and relegations, or completely cancel it altogether. I cant see them cancelling it due to the likelihood of any club in European spots, or challenging for promotion threatening to sue the PL.

I'm not a worrier or a panicker at all. I hope for the best and prepare for the worst
And I think that this will get a lot worse.

Lots of ifs and buts..... but if it goes down that route and clubs start to threaten to sue PL on missing out on Europe/promotion spots, etc, then they should seriously stop and think.

Missing out on money and kudos pales into insignificance against thousands of people suffering and dying from this.

Last edited:
I'm not a worrier or a panicker at all. I hope for the best and prepare for the worst
And I think that this will get a lot worse.

Lots of ifs and buts..... buti f it goes down that route and clubs start to threaten to sue PL on missing out on Europe/promotion spots, etc, then they should seriously stop and think.

Missing out on money and kudos pales into insignificance against thousands of people suffering and dying from this.

The PL will really have to think hard about it because and should get legal clarification from the courts before they do anything.
I can see it already, as soon as the virus topic has gone (potentially before the start of next season), clubs will forget about the past and will again focus on how to make the most money, including suing anyone they can including the PL for lost revenues

Firstly apologies JP for previous thread comment.
Listening to Govt plan to delay spread out til post May, then it’s almost inevitable playing squad members From either scheduled side will continue to get CV19 throughout that whole period. Either they require clubs to play with ‘fit’ squad (post or non effected squad) ie treat it as an injured/sick player OR the season will inevitably fail as (some) clubs will use the full 7 day isolation as a tactical delay to not finish matches?
The actual Govt advice isn’t now for full isolation (only self) so permitting this over the weekend sets damning precedent for league completion surely?