Aston Villa v Boro - Play Off Semi Thread | Page 22 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Boro - Play Off Semi Thread

Elmo a 'big doubt'

Everyone else is fine and Bruce indicated there wouldn't be any freshening up going on, as Middlsbro have to contend with the same 2 games in 4 days.

He said it won't be far from the same team as Saturday. So basically just someone in for Elmo.

To be fair, other than Elmo, the only other place I would've expected any changes would be the centre of the park. More likely Jedi dropping down for Whelan.

I think Jedi has to play for the same reasons he played on Saturday. He is so good in the air and will counteract Middlesborough's crosses and set pieces.

Would anyone (not in a boo boy way!) drop Hourihane? The only compelling thing about him is he pops up with goals. But the all round game? Not sure of him at all. Probably every time Bruce starts to think of dropping him, he scores another and then can't be dropped.

It has to be the team that started on Saturday with Thor in for Elmo. I would be tempted to start with Codger but I suspect that Uncle Albert will get another 45 minutes. We must not forget that we have the likes of Hogan and Onomah who could come in to provide some presence up front if needed - hopefully not!!

I quite like Hourihane. I just think that when you have a midfield of Grealish, Snodgrass and Adomah it's kind of hard for everyone to shine.

His goal output is very impressive for a No.8, and I think his workrate is pretty good too. He keeps things simple and links up play well.

My only criticism is that he is very one footed, but that's not enough to drop him.

It's a terrible habit to have , scoring goals from midfield lol.

Hourihane played well Saturday in that he worked as hard as anyone and closed the opposition down quickly and got his foot in. He has his limitations for sure but I wouldn't be dropping him for tomorrow.

Funny its only halftime, take confidence from the first leg but I knoew the first thing Bruce will be telling the players is "Its halftime"

I thought Hourihane had his best game in a while on Saturday, sometimes you forget he's on the pitch but at Boro he was in the thick of it flying into tackles from the kick off. I'd definitely go with Bree over Thor as well, Thor is not a LB, he's looked uneasy whenever he's slotted in there

Give Bree a go. We have to sometime or other and he's probably the best shout for the spot.

So, similar team, but maybe Bruce ought to make the subs earlier. Barney is probably all steamed up waiting to prove himself again.

I don’t think Hourihane is as bad as some make him out to be. He’s not the type of player who will absolutely dominate a game but I think he quietly gets on with his performances and chips in with some goals.

That said I would consider dropping him for Bjarnasson who will hopefully have fresher legs for the midfield and would potentially be more defensively minded than Hourihane but not too defensive (eg if Whelan played) to invite pressure on by playing too deep.
I’d keep Jedinak if he is fit enough, just because of his height and strength it is like playing an extra centre back if needed to defend set pieces.

I think we should play it safe by playing a full back in the full back position (shock!) so I wouldn’t play Bjarnasson in defence. I’d be inclined to play Bree at right back and keep Hutton the left, although I wouldn’t be confident if it ended up Bree vs Adama but then Taylor has been crap recently but at least he has experience

I thought Hourihane had his best game in a while on Saturday, sometimes you forget he's on the pitch but at Boro he was in the thick of it flying into tackles from the kick off. I'd definitely go with Bree over Thor as well, Thor is not a LB, he's looked uneasy whenever he's slotted in there

I think part of the problem is that he doesn't stand out physically. He should grow a huge blonde afro.

The home crowd will play a huge part tomorrow. Remember a couple of seasons ago when we couldn’t perform at home? You always felt we’d collapse and concede, specially towards the end of games. The crowd was restless and it rubbed onto the field. If Boro somehow score an early goal (or two) it’s vital the crowd stays with the team and pushes them on.

Difficult to predict who he'll pick in place of Elmo. For me I'd go with Bree simply because he's naturally a full back and from what I've seen of Thor at left back he's not particularly comfortable playing there, possibly even less so if he has to switch now and then to the right back position as Cafu follows Adama all over the park. Other than that, I'd go with the bearded wonder again. Feel his aerial presence in defence is vital against that lot as well in attack from set pieces, as he showed on Saturday.
As well as the performance being spot on, was also impressed with the reaction of the players/management after the game. No wild celebrations, balanced views in after match interviews, just seem to be absolutely focused on the task in hand and that in itself gives me confidence going into the game tomorrow. We all know Brucey has been there and done it before and they seem to be spot on in terms of mentality, togetherness and performance. Here's hoping that's reflected again come 9.45pm tomorrow! :utv: