Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 22 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

Pongo,s ashes were apparently scattered in the Holte end goal mouth. A fitting resting place.
OTV & TH - Pongo was my long departed dad's hero too. He used to say Pongo could often be seen chatting up the tram 'clippies'(conductresses) in Witton Square less than 30 minutes to kick off with thousands rushing past urging him to go and get changed. The only time I saw my dad cry was when Pongo shuffled onto the pitch at the Centenary match v Leeds in 1974. The tears streamed down his cheeks for most of the first half! A beautiful t-shirt featuring Pongo is available from The Premier Gift Co. Link is www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273548391202

Nice story Claret & Blue Blood.

This photo will get some of you older Villans thinking:hmmm:View attachment 29471:grinning:
Willie Anderson top left? Barry lynch bottom left, Barry played with my brother Chris,pat Murray and pat Coiley archbishop Masterson team of the early sixties.both pat's have sadly passed away.i met Barry a good few years ago still working.barry played at a time when cwages were good but nothing like today's crazy money. We Northfield kids were very proud of Barry lynch who told me that so much local talent was too often overlooked.great days, wonderful memories

BL917829@.jpg
The match at arsenal in 81 was that the Bob Wilson / Sammy Morgan one when Wilson did a dive getting Sammy booked & eventually sent off. I remember going on those Coaches from Trinity Road, I think there were loads of coaches because of a rail strike

The match at arsenal in 81 was that the Bob Wilson / Sammy Morgan one when Wilson did a dive getting Sammy booked & eventually sent off. I remember going on those Coaches from Trinity Road, I think there were loads of coaches because of a rail strike

Would have been earlier than that. Sammy Morgan played for us in the mid 70's .

I reckon that was 1974 in the FACup
You are spot on vs67. Sammy wound Bob Wilson up so much that he had a right hissy fit at the ref about his treatment. Sammy eventually was sent off but scored in the replay in front of 47000+. Now, no cheating gang, who got the other goal in our 2-1 win? A Round The World Cruise for the first correct answer.

You are spot on vs67. Sammy wound Bob Wilson up so much that he had a right hissy fit at the ref about his treatment. Sammy eventually was sent off but scored in the replay in front of 47000+. Now, no cheating gang, who got the other goal in our 2-1 win? A Round The World Cruise for the first correct answer.

I was there but don't remember the scorers . I will guess at Ray Graydon

I wasn't there so I'm also guessing but I'll have a go with Brian Little?

Wouldn't go on a cruise if you paid me....Oh! you were!!!

Much to your relief...I still wouldn't go..Butlins on water. I can't think of anything worse than being stuck on a boat with hundreds of people you don't know and probably will never want to know!

A day in Rhyl sounds better!!!

Think I know what you mean. Went on a cruise for my honeymoon. Seems like only yesterday.........and you know how rotten yesterday was! Content yourself with being the current Vitalvilla quiz maestro.

He wasn't the greatest striker in the World but I really loved to watch Alun Evans play proper cheeky chappie

Yeah and I remember thinking WOW when we got him from Pool having seen him score some crackers for them. So so long ago it hurts.

Last edited:
The story of Frank Barson, Villa captain and FA Cup winner in the early 1920's, later of Div 2 Man Utd.

A proper character by the sounds of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ston-villa-manchester-united?CMP=share_btn_tw

"He was made captain and scored a celebrated 30-yard header against Sheffield United. He was particularly skilful with his head and once, in a match against Tottenham, dribbled the ball from one end to the other without once using his feet. It was estimated that he headed the ball 86 times during the run, which ended within yards of the Spurs goal."

ce904c90-e912-4a4b-a994-3e57cc0316d2-2060x1236.jpeg

Best top ever , started it all off
I had that shirt and wore it till it fell apart. I even went to the ATV studios in it when Tiswas tried to do a world record dying fly live one Saturday morning. 3 of us wore the shirt and were on screen most of the time! Then went on to VP for a home game. Happy days!