Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 21 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

Briliant wasn't it - beat the sh*t and then Liverpool, I think attendances were around 18,000 and 21,000 for the home games and this was for the youth team in those days - I will never ever forget those games. God, it was a different era

Yes 67 it is hard to explain how it was back then so many of us went to the Youth matches we knew all about Brian Little & co. So it was no surprise when he arrived in the first team. My son would not believe me when I told him the sort of attendances had to look it up himself.

1971 final, one of my fondest memories even though we lost. As an aside did Dick Edwards not fancy himself as a bit of a pop star? or is my old memory playing up?

A great photo of Brian Tiler, Andy Lochhead and the king of Villa Park Bruce Ricoh and the total gent walking behind them, manager Vic Crowe at Wembley 1971 for the League Cup Final against Spurs.

This was my very visit to the old Wembley and even though we lost because of 2 Martin Chivers goals we took the place over and the sound of VILLA.....VILLA echo travelling the stadium drowned out the Spurs fans.
View attachment 29515
It was a long time ago but I still remember it as a great day out with the Villa family.

My first visit to Wembley too, 5 of us crammed in a mini van, 2 in the front and 3 in the back seated across the van of which I was one and I'm 6'3"so hardly comfortable ........ but worth it! Our support was unbelievable and if only Andy Lochhead had nudged that ball a little harder or Steve Perryman, I think it was, had tripped over his laces that cup would have been ours....ah well it was not meant to be, but what memories.

My first trip to Wembley as well. My Dad got two tickets from Harry Parkes - Dad was on Villa's books for a while but went in to engineering as a more lucrative profession! We took my best friend along as well and Dad slipped the guy on the gate a fiver to let him in. The noise from the Villa fans was unbelievable.

My first trip to Wembley as well. My Dad got two tickets from Harry Parkes - Dad was on Villa's books for a while but went in to engineering as a more lucrative profession! We took my best friend along as well and Dad slipped the guy on the gate a fiver to let him in. The noise from the Villa fans was unbelievable.
Brilliant ... what an afternoon that was, just cant believe it was so long ago, Jesus, nearly 48 years ago:eek!:

Here is an old homemade video with the title " Villa Park 1979" although that exact date could be debatable?

The quality isn't great and the music tends to give the footage an eerie feel to it but nevertheless, the memories come flooding back.

BL917829@.jpg

My Fathers hero, God rest his soul. He was always on about "Pongo". He scored a hat-trick on his debut v Blues in a reserve match watched by 23 thousand. 167 goals in 226 Villa appearances. Whats that, 3 goals every 4 games? Priceless today.

Apparently "Pongo" was an interesting character both on and off the pitch who did things his way and his way only!

Below is link to a brief history of the man and also a photo of Pongo in between Vic Crowe and Mush Callaghan.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-tom-pongo-waring-8094928Aston-Villa-legend-Pongo-Waring-heading-the-ball.jpg