Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 119 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

Remove the "possibly" and I'm with you 100%.

Only other centre half (as they were called then) I can say could come anywhere near matching him in my estimation was John Sleeuwenhoek (aka Slogger)

Happy to do so for you and everyone else.

Although I was just a young kid at the time, nevertheless I still remember John Sleeuwenhoek who I thought was a great player for the club and very sadly died aged just 45 years old.

What a back 3 that was, Tindall, Sleeuwenhoek and Deakin.

Remove the "possibly" and I'm with you 100%.

Only other centre half (as they were called then) I can say could come anywhere near matching him in my estimation was John Sleeuwenhoek (aka Slogger)
Dugdale,Slogger(can anyone spell Sleeuwenhoek?) Evans,Mcnaught, Ugo, Southgate, Lauren,Mellberg, and maybe Mings and Konza will,one day, be seen as worthy of belonging to that impressive list. Macca,imagine if he'd played fully fit.Loved it when we were losing how Macca would get angry, dribbling up the pitch, shaking his fist with the Holte roaring. Apologies to Laursen,not Lauren.

Dugdale,Slogger(can anyone spell Sleeuwenhoek?) Evans,Mcnaught, Ugo, Southgate, Lauren,Mellberg, and maybe Mings and Konza will,one day, be seen as worthy of belonging to that impressive list. Macca,imagine if he'd played fully fit.Loved it when we were losing how Macca would get angry, dribbling up the pitch, shaking his fist with the Holte roaring. Apologies to Laursen,not Lauren.
Ps,how could l forget Chris Nichol

Thing is that Slogger and Tony Hateley virtually kept the Villa in the old 1st Division on their own for a couple of seasons. Then Hateley went to Chelsea and Slogger, in a moment of insanity, went over to the dark side, The rest (as they say) is history.

My first proper Villa away game, an FA Cup 3rd Round tie at Deepdale, Preston. Memories of mass Villa support bouncing up and down on the wooden planks of the terracing behind the goal, loud renditions of Bachelor Boy (Always a Villa Fan), We shall Overcome, and so many others. Plus, 8 minutes from the end, the winning goal from Dave Roberts - PNE 0 Villa 1, the start of a few hundred away games following the Villa for me.

good old jimmy dugdale a great player and gentleman he new the art of slide tackling ,id say slogger carried on from him ,a great player too, in the late 60s i met my wifes parents at jimmies pub on the chester rd ,there were 2 villa players helping jimmy out, cant remember there names but one was a centre half and captain , seanie

My first proper Villa away game, an FA Cup 3rd Round tie at Deepdale, Preston. Memories of mass Villa support bouncing up and down on the wooden planks of the terracing behind the goal, loud renditions of Bachelor Boy (Always a Villa Fan), We shall Overcome, and so many others. Plus, 8 minutes from the end, the winning goal from Dave Roberts - PNE 0 Villa 1, the start of a few hundred away games following the Villa for me.
Howard Kendall and Alex Dawson featured for Preston who had lost narrowly to the Hammers the previous season in the final. We played surprisingly well and Daves goal was a cracker, a Volley from out wide. Next round,we were at Anfield. It was my first visit as they were a second division outfit for the most,post war. We were so disappointed with the Kop,not a patch on the Holte. We played well enough, hitting the bar and Alan Deakin missing a sitter. Ian StJohn netted a late winner from what looked well offside. We were on the wane as a club but Liverpool ,with an ambitious, clued up board, were on the up.

Howard Kendall and Alex Dawson featured for Preston who had lost narrowly to the Hammers the previous season in the final. We played surprisingly well and Daves goal was a cracker, a Volley from out wide. Next round,we were at Anfield. It was my first visit as they were a second division outfit for the most,post war. We were so disappointed with the Kop,not a patch on the Holte. We played well enough, hitting the bar and Alan Deakin missing a sitter. Ian StJohn netted a late winner from what looked well offside. We were on the wane as a club but Liverpool ,with an ambitious, clued up board, were on the up.
I nearly referred to the disappointment which followed in the 4th round. We got beat at Anfield 4 nil the week before, but played well and were unlucky in my young eyes to then lose to that St John goal in the cup. e I lost my 'haversack' on the train home, including my programme. I have bought a programme and still have hundreds now from every match I've been to, and that lost Liverpool programme remains a hole in my collection!