Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 118 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

i remember the villa v sunderland match, 2nil to villa i think brian got the 2 ,i was in the witton lane bar of the holt and a copper came in on a big white hoss, they came in one door and all of us shot out the other door like lightening, or it might have been the same door,, it happened so quick, great match though i was jammed in the holt end, i think that sealed promotion,,,seanie

i remember the villa v sunderland match, 2nil to villa i think brian got the 2 ,i was in the witton lane bar of the holt and a copper came in on a big white hoss, they came in one door and all of us shot out the other door like lightening, or it might have been the same door,, it happened so quick, great match though i was jammed in the holt end, i think that sealed promotion,,,seanie

Yes 2-0 Brian Little and an Ian Ross penalty. 57,000 odd the biggest crowd I have been in at Villa Park. Absolutely heaving and I think Sunderland brought 15,000 odd fans as they needed a win to get promoted.

I was, I think, 11 at the time. Still remember it like it was yesterday. Don't remember much about the game, though. Just the sheer bedlam. Clearest memory is the police waiting to arrest all those that had climbed up the floodlights to watch the game. Amazing feelings of thinking that we are in the first division. Where, even then, I knew that's where we belonged.

Thanks, Dad, for taking me.

I was thinking about that goal this morning. It would have to go down in my all time top 10 of Villa goals.

A derby game, we were losing the match, Hutton a player coming towards the end of his career with the club and a player I always felt gave his best even though he had been treated appallingly by a certain manager. As he ran on and on down the pitch I remember shouting" pass if for fuck sake, pass it!"

Brilliant goal and do pleased for the Scottish Cafu.
Best ever Villa goal?. Could argue for Sir Dennis netting our second against Liverpool in our title winning season. That goal made us realise that we were,at last, the real thing.

And look at the badge between Aston and Villa. That is the true Villa badge, forget the round one.

Whoever goes to the the fans meeting with the powers that be, should impress on the owners that we should return to this badge on next years kit with the club motto "Prepared" reinstated.

We don't need the star, we all know that we were European Champions and that's all that counts.
100%.
The Prepared motto is unique and should be brought back. It wasca Tom F*cking Fox decision and it should not stand.

Also agree about the crest (see my avatar).

Yes 2-0 Brian Little and an Ian Ross penalty. 57,000 odd the biggest crowd I have been in at Villa Park. Absolutely heaving and I think Sunderland brought 15,000 odd fans as they needed a win to get promoted.

Yes, i was there. If i remember correctly there were loads locked out. Villa and Sunderland.

Apart from s
Yes, i was there. If i remember correctly there were loads locked out. Villa and Sunderland.
Apart from semi-finals,think highest attendance for me was 69,500(official attendance) versus Preston in the sixth round of the FA cup. Was it 1960? We lost to Wolves in the semi,1-0 at the Hawthorns. Tom Finney for Preston which meant my hat trick of Stanley Matthews, Nat Lofthouse and Tom.

The biggest attendance at Villa Park I was part of was.........
Aston Villa v Manchester United, 23 December 1970

Score2-1 to Aston VillaCompetitionLeague Cup Semi-final 2nd legVenueVilla ParkAttendance58,667

I'm sure there was more than 58,667 but lots of funny things were going on at the time with the true attendance not officially given due to tax reasons and kids under the turnstiles etc.

I was around 16 years old and it was an absolutely brilliant night and t I have never forgotten the excitement and happiness of the Villa fans at the end.

What was the attendance against Santos? That must have been pretty close to a record. We couldn't get in.

Or were numbers limited due to the power failure?

I had forgotten there were that many at that match. I was down the Witton end under the scoreboard with my Father. I can remember the hail of coins from the Man U fans when we were leading. I dont think they were very happy.

Edit 55k v Santos i think.

What was the attendance against Santos? That must have been pretty close to a record. We couldn't get in.

Or were numbers limited due to the power failure?

Around 54,000 although no one seems to really know due to all sorts of dodgy reasons!

I do know that for the first and only time I couldn't get into the Holte as they closed all the turnstiles claiming it was full so I went down to the Witton end and was lucky to get in as I heard afterwards, thousands were locked out?