Aston Villa - Liverpool Sun 4th October 19.15 Thread | Page 58 | Vital Football

Aston Villa - Liverpool Sun 4th October 19.15 Thread

December 76 was the day before my 19th birthday I'm now 62!

I was there and took a Liverpool fan. He got up and applauded our first two goals then didn’t see or hear anything from him after that.
Five up at half time and could have had seven that night. I remember Emlyn Hughes leading Pool out for second half, chest puffed out , proud, running out, a real battler but to no avail, a special night for us. If only we could have been there last night!

What a night and you have to say, especially after watching the analysis on MOTD, our tactics were spot on. Smith gets the full praise for that. I also wonder how his new appointment Shakespeare has fit in and helped as well. Said a few times he might prove one of our best signings and again, that has to be down to Smith being big enough to bring in good coaches to work with him.
Really don't know mate is it Shaky has Deano found a magic wand that performance came out the blue I bet Klopp is still trying to work it out but lets just hope this is us returning to the big boys table.

That Villa team was also far better than this one, and went on to finish fourth., which makes it even more unbelievable.

It's always struck me as funny that the wonderful team of the late 70s never really did anything. I went to every home game and it felt like we always won 3-1 and had 2 goals disallowed every game. But they never really succeeded.

It took the genius of Saunders to break the team up and build the one that conquered Europe to get the success.

Isn’t it great to see a formation that you can’t really tell because it’s so fluid? On a much lesser scale, we did this against Everton last season where we had several options and players would move about, then for some reason we lost confidence, looked very rigid and only jack became an option.
That was the difference last night in Barkley we have someone who is just as influential as Jack

Almost killed the mrs after grabbing her and shaking her after the 4th goal went in last night whilst shouting "WE'RE BACK!"

She smiled through the pain though! A bit like what many of us have been doing for the past 12 years or so but not anymore!

We are back baby! And if I didnt love Dean Smith before I bloody do now!

It's always struck me as funny that the wonderful team of the late 70s never really did anything. I went to every home game and it felt like we always won 3-1 and had 2 goals disallowed every game. But they never really succeeded.

It took the genius of Saunders to break the team up and build the one that conquered Europe to get the success.
Yes, they were able to get up enough to win League Cups, but not to sustain it over 42 league games.

I was there and took a Liverpool fan. He got up and applauded our first two goals then didn’t see or hear anything from him after that.
Five up at half time and could have had seven that night. I remember Emlyn Hughes leading Pool out for second half, chest puffed out , proud, running out, a real battler but to no avail, a special night for us. If only we could have been there last night!
That's the only thing that spoiled things not being there Villa Park would have been really special last night

That was the difference last night in Barkley we have someone who is just as influential as Jack

Don’t get me wrong, that was levels above last season. It was more the philosophy that didn’t stick last year, when we stopped playing a high tempo high pressing game. Seeing three forward players closing down the Liverpool players virtually in their own box for the first goal was great to watch, haven’t see a Villa side play that aggressive for a long time - if ever in my lifetime

Don’t get me wrong, that was levels above last season. It was more the philosophy that didn’t stick last year, when we stopped playing a high tempo high pressing game. Seeing three forward players closing down the Liverpool players virtually in their own box for the first goal was great to watch, haven’t see a Villa side play that aggressive for a long time - if ever in my lifetime
Because now we have a forward line every team will fear Iv'e said this before somewhere but last season every team came to VP looking for a win except Burnley and thinking about it Newcastle but now the lesser teams will come and put a wall up.The better teams will still come expecting to win but we have the pace now to get behind these teams.