Aston Villa - Liverpool Sun 4th October 19.15 Thread | Vital Football

Aston Villa - Liverpool Sun 4th October 19.15 Thread

ldgavfc

Vital Squad Member
Our next league game is against the current champions and arguably the best team to play in the premier league era.

Here's a few feel good facts that might get your hopes up.

We go into the game unbeaten in eight on the back of a month in which we have won every game in every competition, conceding only one goal in the process and scoring ten goals in five games.

We are the only side in the league who are yet to concede a goal.

The ten goals scored so far are spread across eight different players.

We have to try and enjoy this one and not be scared of hoping for a result. Liverpool haven't looked too tight at the back since the return to football after lockdown, and haven't delivered many crushing defeats either. We gave them a real run for their money in this fixture last season and I believe the team has improved enormously since then. We also have Grealish this time around, who was out injured for this one last season.

Could we pull off a jaw dropping win?

Last edited by a moderator:
Overexcited much? Did you manage to sleep at all last night? 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously though I’d love to get one over on the dippers. Will be a test at the other extreme of difficulty that’s for sure.

IF we play and give 100% and they have an off day then I live in hope.

My head expects a defeat but my heart says you never know!?

We actually have an OK record at Anfield but looks a bridge too far for me, hopefully we can keep the score line respectable.

No negativity for me unless we lose by 10 goals! They are a superb team, we are a work in progress. I'd take a draw right now if offered. Sadly, I don't think it will be offered! :grinning:
Yep, this.

Can't see us getting much change from them. We rode our luck last season and although battled hard, it was almost inevitable they would win. And had Firmino's goal been given (a VAR fuck up in our favour), they probably would have won by a cricket score.

Anyway, that was then. We're a much more organised side now (Targett notwithstanding!) and I really wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor start. I never thought I'd see the day when Neil Taylor was the best bet at LB!

Mind you, I wouldn't be averse to seeing Hause playing there, I thought he did ok when he covered there a couple of times last season.

I can't see anything other than a Liverpool win, but as long as we don't capitulate and lose by 5 or 6, I'll take that.

I'd be tempted to start with Trez again for this game. He put in a solid shift yesterday - at least he will give his all.

I don't know much about Traore but have heard that he isn't the greatest at getting back to defend - which we'll be doing a lot of for sure. Finally, being thrown to the lions is not the greatest start to a new job! Drinkwater was utter shite, but chucking him in against Man City straight away probably didn't do him any favours.

Same starting line-up as Fulham for me. Maybe Marv instead of Hourihane, but neither fill me with confidence. At an absolute push, Elmo for Cash too. A calm and wise head could help us.

For me this is a free card. Everybody including Liverpool will be expecting us to lose. Lets give it a go, try and upset their game plan and then we can say at least we tried . Anything can happen on the day so bring it on. I am looking forward to it.

No negativity for me unless we lose by 10 goals! They are a superb team, we are a work in progress. I'd take a draw right now if offered. Sadly, I don't think it will be offered! :grinning:
I'd still be pretty pissed if we lost by 5 Fear. 3 I can take, four is a bit miffy.

Same starting line-up as Fulham for me. Maybe Marv instead of Hourihane, but neither fill me with confidence. At an absolute push, Elmo for Cash too. A calm and wise head could help us.

I thought Cash played well yesterday, despite the rumours he was suspect defensively he's been solid every time he's played so far. Can't see him be rested for this

I dont think we'll get a spanking, we seem far more solid defensively this season. Having said that I still cant see us getting anything unless they have a shocker. Need our wide forwards to be on top of their game and stop Plops full backs bombing forward. Think that is where we fucked up against them last season

PARK....THE....BUS.

Play Ollie and Traore and everybody else defend. Play the ball long to them when we get it - and pray.
:jangel:

I'd be tempted to start with Trez again for this game. He put in a solid shift yesterday - at least he will give his all.

I don't know much about Traore but have heard that he isn't the greatest at getting back to defend - which we'll be doing a lot of for sure.

I think you're right we need to start Trezeguet but Traore needs to come on a lot sooner, what we did see from him yesterday that he DID get back and defend, he actually dispossessed someone on the edge of our box, clever one two and off then made a great pin point perfect long pass to counter, also seemed calm in possession with a few players around him and not your usual hoof it up the pitch.

I thought Cash played well yesterday, despite the rumours he was suspect defensively he's been solid every time he's played so far. Can't see him be rested for this
I thought he was great yesterday too. It's just nice to consider the option of experience as a possibility. I guess it all depends on Cash's current development levels. It wouldn't surprise me too much to see Elmo for this, even though I consider him to be an overall inferior player.