ARTICLE: Exciting Forward To Join In January - HAVE A READ & DISCUSS HERE! | Page 5 | Vital Football

ARTICLE: Exciting Forward To Join In January - HAVE A READ & DISCUSS HERE!

Last home game of the season tonight for Shelbourne and a very important one against UCD who are already relegated and Shelbourne going for a European playoff spots.

Pretty quiet first 21 minutes until a long ball is played over the top of the UCD defence into the box to Moylan who brought the ball down, turned his man and was dragged down for a definate penalty.

Moylan took the penalty himself and duly despatched it low, with power to the keepers left.

On 31 minutes Moylan again had a great opportunity from a long crossfield ball into the box, he took it down with good instant control, took it one step inside and fired it at goal to which the goalkeeper pulled off a decent save.

Shels took a while to get going second half and UCD had equalised but Shels again win a penalty to be taken by Moylan and this time he fired it high to the keepers right, giving him no chance.

Shels were pegged back again though to 2-2 by UCD but in the 84th minute another long crossfield ball into the left hand side of the UCD box was brilliantly brought down by Moylan who fired the ball low, again with power, into the opposite corner for his hatrick and to give Shels a 3-2 lead which they managed to hang on to and win the game.

Not that I saw the final minutes of the game due to the amount of pyro's that were being let off inside the ground!!

Must say this was by far Moylans best game of the season. Even the commentators were saying how much he had improved as the season had gone on.

He looks like he has all the attributes to be a good player.

He has a good build, is strong and powerful, holds off players well, can see a pass, and most importantly knows where the back of the net is.

Going to be really interesting when he joins us. I think he will only get better when he gets on to our training ground and the Sincil Bank pitch and has that better quality of players around him.

He looks the real deal to me.
Many thanks for keeping a watching brief on our behalf.

Interesting to see how your assessment of Moylan has shifted since your first sight of him: do you think his performances have improved since his move to Lincoln was confirmed? It seems that way to me, although his upturn may be a natural thing too.

At the very least, he seems worth the gamble for the small fee being rumoured.

Always hard to tell with the LOI. It's been great for us in lots of instances, but then again he's level on goals with Ruari Keating who wasn't great in non league and has just passed Max Mata who hasn't scored since signing for Shrewsbury in the summer despite a lot of fanfare at the time. We do seem to be able to scout well there.

Last edited:
Many thanks for keeping a watching brief on our behalf.

Interesting to see how your assessment of Moylan has shifted since your first sight of him: do you think his performances have improved since his move to Lincoln was confirmed? It seems that way to me, although his upturn may be a natural thing too.

Difficult to say Scot. When I first started to watch him the talk about him was as a midfield player who liked to get forward and score a few goals but I have never seen him play that role....if he ever did.

This has been his first season as a senior player in the LOI after joining Shels from his first club Bohemians, where he played in the youth set up before making a handful of appearances in the first team before being loaned out to Wexford who are a league below in the Irish First Division.

Shels brought him in from Bohs this season so he must of had his initial settling in period but when I first started to watch him you saw one or two flashes of what he could do but spent periods of time when he didn't contribute that much to the game.

I started to see the difference in him a few months ago. As with Draper he seems to have matured quickly. He's a six footer and has a strong frame. He now holds the ball up well and his touch has greatly improved during the season. He can run with ball, has some good touches, can see a pass and he can finish.

We'll have to see how he adjusts to life over here but in football terms I feel when he gets into our environment, with better quality players around him he will develop even more.

It's going to be exciting times to have him and Draper in the fold as well as House and Walker.

We are going to have some quality strikers and hopefully it will be good competition for those forward places in the not too distant future.

Difficult to say Scot. When I first started to watch him the talk about him was as a midfield player who liked to get forward and score a few goals but I have never seen him play that role....if he ever did.

This has been his first season as a senior player in the LOI after joining Shels from his first club Bohemians, where he played in the youth set up before making a handful of appearances in the first team before being loaned out to Wexford who are a league below in the Irish First Division.

Shels brought him in from Bohs this season so he must of had his initial settling in period but when I first started to watch him you saw one or two flashes of what he could do but spent periods of time when he didn't contribute that much to the game.

I started to see the difference in him a few months ago. As with Draper he seems to have matured quickly. He's a six footer and has a strong frame. He now holds the ball up well and his touch has greatly improved during the season. He can run with ball, has some good touches, can see a pass and he can finish.

We'll have to see how he adjusts to life over here but in football terms I feel when he gets into our environment, with better quality players around him he will develop even more.

It's going to be exciting times to have him and Draper in the fold as well as House and Walker.

We are going to have some quality strikers and hopefully it will be good competition for those forward places in the not too distant future.
FYI. Moylan has been at shelbourne for two seasons, stats here:

I think Moylan has finished joint top scorer in the Irish Premier League with 15 for the season

Yeah he has. Two goals in the final league game of the season tonight in a good game, away against Drogs.

Shels were 2-0 down at half time but fought back to win 4-2 with Moylan on the scoresheet twice with two very well taken goals to seal 4th spot for Shelbourne and a chance to qualify for European football, depending on the result of next week's FAI Cup Final.

His first goal he tucked away a powerful volley from about 12 yards out giving the keeper no chance and his second was when he nipped in round the back of the defence unmarked to beat the keeper to the ball and put it nicely into the back of the net.

Really looking forward to him joining us and seeing what he can do with better quality players around him.

Hope he gets an opportunity at some point this season. He certainly knows where the back of the net is.

I don't usually speculate on the managers position also but with Liam Scully and Jez George being over at the game tonight it could be for a number of reasons but I'll tell you this.

Shelbournes manager, Damien Duff is definately one of the up and coming managers. Shelbourne have really improved as the season has gone on and they are arguably the best footballing team in the league.

They play the right way, the exact way in which we are led to believe how our board want us to play. They get the ball down and play crisp incisive football and have lots of possession in games.

He plays his football as it should be played but it has purpose and they pass forward, not just side ways and backwards.

Never heard Duff in a interview but he has a very good demeanour on the sidelines. You can tell he takes the job very seriously and he conducts himself well.

He definately fits the profile of what we require but again it's just my opinion of what I have seen of him amongst lots of speculation on whom will be eventually appointed as our new manager.

Just to finish off, Freddie Draper ended up 9th top scorer in the league but I'm sure would of finished up much higher than that if he would of seen the season out at Drogs.