Around the Grounds | Page 4 | Vital Football

Around the Grounds

Things continue to deteriorate for Shrewsbury: having lost their CEO, their manager, their assistant manager, and their best centre back Matthew Pennington (to Blackpool), they have now lost top scorer and POTY Luke Leahy to Wycombe after he handed in an unexpected transfer request.

Peterborough got away with a suspended three-point penalty for something similar, so we can expect the same for Barnsley.

Ricky Miller, now 34, has stepped up a division to join Southern League Premier Division Central side Stamford from Grantham.

In keeping with our unexpected signing of Tyler Walker, it seems every League One club wants new strikers.

Cambridge top scorer Sam Smith is in talks with Reading, who have already signed teammate Harvey Knibbs. I would say this is an urgent requirement - Reading haven't scored in pre-season so far.

Despite having spent a small fortune on the likes of Dion Charles in recent transfer windows, Bolton still seem unable to find the net regularly. They scored 13 goals fewer than any other side in the top six last season and have not set their pre-season schedule alight despite arranging three games against minnows. Former Imp Dan Nlundulu has just joined them permanently but expect significant movement before the season begins.

Having lost Alfie May to Charlton, Cheltenham are the bookies' favourites for 24th place.

Barnsley fans are not a happy bunch, having lost manager Michael Duff after a solitary season, EFL charges against the club and two former directors, and now a 9-1 home defeat in pre-season. They are believed to be after Solihull striker Andrew Dallas.

Exeter striker Sam Nombe may be set to leave, with one year remaining on his contract; they may be in trouble if he goes, having already lost Jevani Brown to Bristol Rovers.

It feels like this is as even as league one has been since we were promoted. There's no Wednesday, Sunderland or Ipswich type that you would almost guarantee a top six finish. Bolton and Derby are probably the nearest but it wouldn't be a huge surprise if they missed out.

The 'big' clubs like Charlton and Portsmouth have put together decent squads but nothing that makes you think promotion is a sure thing.

Barnsley, Reading, Wigan and Blackpool could be almost anything.

You could say "insert name" could struggle this year for about a dozen teams and it would be fair enough.

If a team like Lincoln were to threaten the top six (outside of a wage cap/covid season) it should be this year.

Significant debts for some League One clubs (all at May or June 2022):
Reading £62.85m
Fleetwood £24.86m
Charlton £20.50m
Oxford £20.01m
Peterborough £12.37m
Orient £10.57m

No accounts filed for Derby yet under their current incarnation.

I bet Ron Martin can't understand why he hasn't been able to sell Southend United quite as quickly as the fans would like. Maybe it is to do with the terms of the sale. By my calculation he expects someone to cough up in the region of £2.5m in the first year and take on debt of another £4.5m to be paid over the subsequent 2 years (not including buying the training ground at 'cost') - not including running costs and building a squad of players.

It may not be the legacy I wished for the club, but the club’s survival is of most importance. The interested parties have shared the view for a simple deal.

• The parent company will sell its entire shareholding in SUFC (70.6%) for £1.
  • Roots Hall stadium £4.5m. This was the purchase price paid 25 years ago.
  • We could agree to spread the purchase price of Roots Hall over 3 years with no rent payable in between.
  • I am happy to sell the new training ground at cost.
  • The money to fund the Club’s debt is not required on day one. The Club assesses the cash required in the short term, including settling HMRC (releasing the embargo), to be about £1m. The balance of debts (around £1.5m) can be spread over a period of time, as we have with many of our creditors.

There has been much misinformation and many inaccurate rumours. I hope this statement clears that up.

I bet Ron Martin can't understand why he hasn't been able to sell Southend United quite as quickly as the fans would like. Maybe it is to do with the terms of the sale. By my calculation he expects someone to cough up in the region of £2.5m in the first year and take on debt of another £4.5m to be paid over the subsequent 2 years (not including buying the training ground at 'cost') - not including running costs and building a squad of players.

It may not be the legacy I wished for the club, but the club’s survival is of most importance. The interested parties have shared the view for a simple deal.

• The parent company will sell its entire shareholding in SUFC (70.6%) for £1.
  • Roots Hall stadium £4.5m. This was the purchase price paid 25 years ago.
  • We could agree to spread the purchase price of Roots Hall over 3 years with no rent payable in between.
  • I am happy to sell the new training ground at cost.
  • The money to fund the Club’s debt is not required on day one. The Club assesses the cash required in the short term, including settling HMRC (releasing the embargo), to be about £1m. The balance of debts (around £1.5m) can be spread over a period of time, as we have with many of our creditors.

There has been much misinformation and many inaccurate rumours. I hope this statement clears that up.

So where are the net liabilities of £18.65m shown in the June 2021 accounts (which were not actually filed until 31 May 2023, one month after the June 2022 accounts were due to be filed)? Where are the June 2022 accounts? Would you buy a used car from this man?

Read at the back end of last week that Swann has started legal action against Scunthorpe's new owner over Glanford Park.