Around the Grounds | Page 3 | Vital Football

Around the Grounds

Whatever happens this has been a good series cricket wise if you take your countries blinkers off. Looking at it dispassionately it would be a shame if Australia made it 3-0, this series does deserve to go to the wire.
I think we’ve batted poorly, especially as Lyons has been injured. Still can’t believe we declared in that first innings.

Southend have paid their players, but need to settle a £250k debt by the 12th July and all their staff (waiting for three or four months of wages) otherwise they sound like they'll get kicked out of the NL.

Morecambe's friendly tomorrow night at Workington has been cancelled. The shrimpers can't raise a team!

Portsmouth's expensive new squad misfired again tonight, drawing 1-1 with Bognor Regis with a Joe Morrell penalty. Two goals for Pompey against minnows so far in pre-season, both penalties.

Portsmouth's expensive new squad misfired again tonight, drawing 1-1 with Bognor Regis with a Joe Morrell penalty. Two goals for Pompey against minnows so far in pre-season, both penalties.
Sound’s just like us!
i take no notice of the scores of these early pre-season friendlies.
Seem to remember we beat Colchester 3:1 in the first match of a season and got relegated to the Conference on the last day.
It’s a Marathon and we are barely starting our stretches before the race.

Southend have paid their players, but need to settle a £250k debt by the 12th July and all their staff (waiting for three or four months of wages) otherwise they sound like they'll get kicked out of the NL.
Adjourned for 42 days because they're in the middle of a sale process (whether Ron is using that as an excuse or has no plans to even sell, who knows), so with them being under an embargo and players leaving, I can't imagine their start to the new season is going to go particularly well.

Adjourned for 42 days because they're in the middle of a sale process (whether Ron is using that as an excuse or has no plans to even sell, who knows), so with them being under an embargo and players leaving, I can't imagine their start to the new season is going to go particularly well.
Sarfend cases always seem to get adjourned, allegedly Ron tells them " there's a geezer on 'is way up from the Smoke wiv a case full of dosh!".

Next case m'lud!!

Actually, and I might be wrong, I think that their fate now lies in the hands of the NL because I'm not sure they are allowed to start the season with the debt hanging over them under NL rules.

Southend had their water cut off yesterday,

and according to the Southend Echo,

"The league have already made it known that accounts had to be filed (which they are now), that the winding up petition had to be dismissed and all football creditors paid for Blues to remain in the fifth tier of English football"

Given that the extension is for 46 days, the pteition has not been dismissed, and I presume 'football creditors' includes the staff of Southend United who have not been paid wages for the last 3 (in some cases 4) months,

With the first round of fixtures a little over three weeks away, the National League must decide on Southend's participation right now. The inevitable result of further delay is disruption and expense for other clubs and their supporters - there may be Oldham supporters wanting to make a weekend of their trip to Southend for example - and home clubs will need to arrange and pay for catering and other logistics that are necessary ahead of games.

Staff have not been paid for three and four months and currently have no hope of receiving anything at all, the water has been cut off, we are hearing the familiar Ron Martin takeover fluff yet again, his motives and plans are unclear, the few players they have left are refusing to train due to no medical cover, they are not permitted to sign anyone, the training ground has been badly neglected and is barely fit for purpose etc... surely there can only be one outcome here?

EDIT: I note their debt according to the last set of published accounts (for the 2020-21 financial year) was £18.6m, which will surely be far higher on the filed accounts for 2021-22. They are not showing on Companies House yet.