Are We Scared... | Page 3 | Vital Football

Are We Scared...

The Victor still looks futuristic now.

QRA gone international now Whitstable. Still amazing when you see them go up and see the difference between a training flight take off and a performance intercept take off
When we returned from Norways's northern cape or from the Baltic we would often be intercepted by Lightings over the North sea,(training obviously) quite spectacular seeing them climb, way ahead of their time .

I am a bit jealous. Amazing to think the UK developed three separate V planes at the same time. Everything multinational now to share the cost.
Yes, all three could fly higher than the Mig 15 and 17 not until the 21 came along could they reach us for hight although a missile brought down Gary Powers in a UW2 May 60 which came as a bit of a shock although there was some doubt at the time as to whether he was over 60,000 feet when brought down.
We changed tactics and began to commence low flying techniques up to the target and then rise up, changed paint from white to green/brown, there would have been approx 140 ish V bombers at the peak.

When we returned from Norways's northern cape or from the Baltic we would often be intercepted by Lightings over the North sea,(training obviously) quite spectacular seeing them climb, way ahead of their time .

Lightning, TSR2, Tornado, Eurofighter......let's hope Tempest continues our tradition

So was TSR2, until Wilson scrapped it, as he did with Blue Streak.

So was TSR2, until Wilson scrapped it, as he did with Blue Streak.

spot on. Governments from both sides selling out our air industry under pressure to buy usa instead of our own even when ours were better.

thatcher of course took it to another level e.g. westlands and the hesseltine resignation.

which was work - bending under pressure from the usa to cancel TSR2 or Concorde?

Last edited:
Leaving aside whether we ought to be spending more on our own defence, I think Russia demonstrates that the claim that states like the European powers are unable to maintain their own first rank defence establishments is horse hockey. They have chosen not to do so.

I see four Mercury E-6 planes took off from America this morning, wonder where they're going...

Last edited:
I see four Mercury C-6 planes took off from America this morning, wonder where they're going...

Did you mean E-6?

I bet the rivets joints have been busy as well recently

Ratcheting up the pressure that's for sure

Last edited:
The West has reacted to Putin's squeeze on Ukraine with much more intensity than he anticipated. I'm not sure if this is a good thing. Will he back down or will he roll the iron dice, figuring that the chance of a big win is preferable to the certainty of humiliation?

Multiple E-6 planes ! that`s upped the ante considerably. I feel we should probably be more concerned about this that some of the things currently dominating our domestic news ..
Look up the E-6 info from the US Defense media - "the deadliest aircraft operated by the Pentagon" - another level !

IIRC it was the USA that had 4 minutes warning and we got 30 seconds. But now there are supposedly hypersonic delivery systems. Whitstable has made a good point regarding the Cuban crisis and the USA very unhappy about Russian missiles on their doorstep. I think the Ukraine is Russia's "Cuban missile crisis" in some respects.

Do you get the impression that, generally, Russians are quite at ease about recent escalation ? Not asking for Vladimir btw.