Are We Scared... | Vital Football

Are We Scared...

LSB2

Vital Football Hero
With what is happening around Ukraine? With Russia on one side flexing their muscles, and then us, the EU and American forces on the other side telling them to "cease and desist". Where do we see this going? I watched a video on YouTube a few weeks ago, and it said the biggest threat to our freedom in the UK was this, not covid restrictions or the government's freedom bill. It said this could even end in WW3. Of course, any fall out with Russia is said to end with WW3!

If you thought this would be about the Wigan game, then that goes without saying, of course we are scared!

With what is happening around Ukraine? With Russia on one side flexing their muscles, and then us, the EU and American forces on the other side telling them to "cease and desist". Where do we see this going? I watched a video on YouTube a few weeks ago, and it said the biggest threat to our freedom in the UK was this, not covid restrictions or the government's freedom bill. It said this could even end in WW3. Of course, any fall out with Russia is said to end with WW3!

If you thought this would be about the Wigan game, then that goes without saying, of course we are scared!
This is a very scary situation and I cannot fathom why it is not THE main topic on UK media. FFS we could ship a shed load of goals at Wigan

Seems like a stand off at the Russia/Ukraine border with the West lining up enough weapons for Ukraine to match what the Russians have on the other side.

Said on the radio today that it must be giving Putin as many headaches as the Ukraine president, so it really comes down to whether Putin is mentally unbalanced enough to proceed further. If not, it will remain as stalemate.

Hopefully, the Wigan manager will also show restraint and we can achieve stalemate. 0-0 will do for me !!

The news as reported here is very slanted.
Surprise surprise.
Belarus and Ukraine have been a buffer between Russia and the Nato and Eu nations.
If Ukraine join Nato and the EU, then Russia will have no option but to up the anti.
I believe that this is just a warning shot across the bows.
The bigger question is do we set up defensive in potential damage limitation or go shit or bust and lose or win 4-0 .

The news as reported here is very slanted.
Surprise surprise.
Belarus and Ukraine have been a buffer between Russia and the Nato and Eu nations.
If Ukraine join Nato and the EU, then Russia will have no option but to up the anti.
The bigger question is do we set up defensive in potential damage limitation or go shit or bust and lose or win 4-0 .

I think we should launch the Crimea offensive, I've got my cardigan and the Nightingale hospital is ready.

Spot on.

NATO (clue is the N and A) was set up to provide mutual defence against soviet aggression. Since the end of the cold war NATO has steadily expanded eastwards, allowing Poland, Romania and the Baltic states to join.

Turn the tables around how would we feel if the Warsaw Pact was steadily expanding and looked to allow the Republic of Ireland to join ? We know how America responded when Cuba and the Soviet Union looked for closer links.

Simple solution to this is for NATO and Russian to agree that Ukraine is to be seen as a neutral zone. NATO to agree to not to allow it to join and Russia to agree to withdraw.

Who gains out of any conflict - that's always the question we should look for. Putin wants to look strong to retain power and for Russia to be seen as a global power. What's in it for NATO ? I don't see their angle.

Onto the football metaphor :

In 1815 Bonaparte left his exile and sailed to France with 700 loyal men. Within 3 weeks he had marched to Paris and retaken the country. Its known as one of the greatest comebacks of all time ..............................over to you Gills.

If it does kick off, expect China to play a play for Taiwan while the western world is distracted.

This is a situation where you'd want Trump as American president as he stands and acts strong. Biden can barely stand and talk.

It will be interesting to hear the anti Putin brigade on social media(but not for long!!).
I wonder if they've got his mobile number?

If it does kick off, expect China to play a play for Taiwan while the western world is distracted.

This is a situation where you'd want Trump as American president as he stands and acts strong. Biden can barely stand and talk.

It is bizarre that Trump was the least warlike of all recent presidents. He was a giant arse in many ways but he didn't steer the world closer to conflict. We have to acknowledge that.

Slightly off topic but I was reading this morning that Biden’s approval level is the second lowest ever after a year in office.
He stood on a ticket of not being Donald Trump and that’s about the only thing he’s got right.
Quite often an unpopular leader looks to a bit of foreign conflict to unite his nation.

The only real worry with raised tensions is an accidental escalation that sparks real conflict. Russian and NATO forces probe and test each other all the time. There is the mutual respect that prevents conflict. It just needs one side to inadvertently push too far i.e. a miscommunication.

This was shown by the TV series Warship on this clip. What if someone had panicked and accidentally fired the first shot, what if (as covered in the clip) one of the Russian jets had crashed due to avionics failure caused by the Sampson Radar system.

How do the other side respond ? Things can quickly escalate

17 Russian fighter jets swarm around HMS Duncan early '18 - YouTube

Most of it is just willy waving.

putin doesn’t want the EU and/or NATO as a next door neighbour.

The EU and NATO can’t stand by and let Russia annexe the Ukraine.

I think the issue is that it would only take a small slip up to escalate things, and then we might be able to descalate them again.

I`m concerned, Putin is a very dangerous individual.

Not intending to be flippant, but, if you saw "Warship" recently, our "best" was demonstrably second-best to the Russian submarine. Quite embarrassing.

Our armed forces have been seriously depleted over the past 20 years or so. We are now totally dependent on the USA and should hope that the U.S. is appropriately strong over the Ukraine situation, it could easily turn to crisis.

Here in the antipodes the looming conflict and possible massacre in the northern hemisphere is front and centre in everyone’s mind. It’s a very scary proposition.

I just hope Gills can escape relatively unscathed and we can all move on.

Not intending to be flippant, but, if you saw "Warship" recently, our "best" was demonstrably second-best to the Russian submarine. Quite embarrassing.

I'm not sure she's our best. I agree that whenever you watch those fly on the wall documentaries the number of breakdowns is quite shocking and the lack of deployable sonor buoys for the Merlin.

The UK was quietly relegated a while ago and this is not a League 2 conflict. Ukraine is worrying but we should worry more about being bullied every single day.

I'm not sure she's our best. I agree that whenever you watch those fly on the wall documentaries the number of breakdowns is quite shocking and the lack of deployable sonor buoys for the Merlin.

What worried me was the two incidents when the Frigate had eventually picked-up the track of the sub, whenever the sub got near, the Frigates (apparently) sophisticated sonar suddenly became inoperable - it was as if the Russian technology had somehow "disabled" the Frigates capability ( :computer: ) - giving the sub ample time to completely "disappear" (again) - and the frigate returning to port with broken equipment and its tail between its legs.

As you may know, this was far from an "ordinary" documentary as RN had the misfortune to agree to an upper level of exposure and the TV crew were onboard at the time of a real-life event/exchange between the two naval vessels - instead of taking lovely video of our new aircraft carrier.

As you will be only too aware, "we" (the UK) has the technology and expertise but "they" (successive HMG) are not prepared to make sufficient investment. Some big words coming from HMG directed at Russia - but they are hollow as we can`t back them up with conventional manifestable fortitude.