Are we heading for a league two tour | Page 5 | Vital Football

Are we heading for a league two tour

It seems to me that in between all of the discussion around what's our best team, what should our tactics be and what's the chance of Maloney being here at the end of the month, this is an eminently sensible take on things ...

Garbage, most academy lads hardly ever make the bench let alone get game time.

Yet we bring in young loan signings from here there and everywhere.

Garbage, most academy lads hardly ever make the bench let alone get game time.

Yet we bring in young loan signings from here there and everywhere.
Tickle, Hughes, S. Smith, Adeeko, Aasgard (and Lang of course )... all fairly well established in the squad.

Sze, Stones, McHugh ... done little wrong when they've been given a chance.

Adams, Brennan, Chentouf, all bubbling under.

Let's also remember that our academy lost it's leading 4 players in admin season.

Take a step back occasionally Frank and take time to smell the roses.
😎

That & the added responsibility of being made captain. Deffo wrong choice IMO!
He's the vice captain Magennis is captain.

I agree though both decisions are wrong, Magennis is hardly on the pitch and Lang can't seem to keep his trap shut always having a pop at officials hardly leading by example.

Why choose Magennis as captain knowing full well he wasn't in your plans to start games? Another crackpot plan from Maloney.

The captaincy has become a joke!

He's the vice captain Magennis is captain.

I agree though both decisions are wrong, Magennis is hardly on the pitch and Lang can't seem to keep his trap shut always having a pop at officials hardly leading by example.

Why choose Magennis as captain knowing full well he wasn't in your plans to start games? Another crackpot plan from Maloney.

The captaincy has become a joke!

Sorry Frank, once again you fail to understand a simple concept.

Lang was made Captain, on field, for the night and also other games this season. He is also one of the leadership group tasked by SM to take a lead in the dressing room. He is not a vice captain as far as I know.

Magennis holds the role of club captain, as did Jamie Jones before him, who incidentally was rarely on field captain.

Sorry Frank, once again you fail to understand a simple concept.

Lang was made Captain, on field, for the night and also other games this season. He is also one of the leadership group tasked by SM to take a lead in the dressing room. He is not a vice captain as far as I know.

Magennis holds the role of club captain, as did Jamie Jones before him, who incidentally was rarely on field captain.

Josh Magennis has been appointed as the Wigan Athletic captain for the 2023/24 Sky Bet League One campaign, while Callum Lang will be vice-captain from the clubs website.

Josh Magennis has been appointed as the Wigan Athletic captain for the 2023/24 Sky Bet League One campaign, while Callum Lang will be vice-captain from the clubs website.

I hold my hands up Sid, I hadn't seen that, I had seen that he was asked to become part of the leadership group but not that any of them had been made vice captain. :sorry:

It still doesn't make any difference to the fact that he was made "on field" captain for the night though does it.

Is Lang just trying too hard?

I think Lang is one of those players who doesn't really think about it much, he only know how to play one way and that is 100mph on instinct. Every time he gets the ball he wants to run at his man and when his confidence was high a couple of years ago that worked for him.

But now his confidence has been crushed over the past year and he's now been moved into the middle that he's not suited to. He's still trying to do what he used to but it's not working anymore and he doesn't know what to do.

I genuinely feel really sorry for him as i think he's trying his best and keeps plugging away hoping it'll click back into place for him. But it's not and his frustration and confidence keeps sinking lower and lower.

I think for his own good and the teams - maybe he needs a break from the first team. I'm sure he'd hate that but maybe if he went to play a couple of times for the U23s, where he's more likely to have a good game and get some goals it may start to rebuild his confidence and then carry it back into first team football.

There's no way he should be starting at the moment or keeping the likes of Jones, J Smith or Stones off the bench. I'd prefer to have Sze on ahead of Lang at the moment too. There's no doubting Lang has it in him, but when he's not showing it there comes a point where you can't keep getting the benefit of the doubt. I'd put Aasgaard in that same category too tbh.

I think Lang is one of those players who doesn't really think about it much, he only know how to play one way and that is 100mph on instinct. Every time he gets the ball he wants to run at his man and when his confidence was high a couple of years ago that worked for him.

But now his confidence has been crushed over the past year and he's now been moved into the middle that he's not suited to. He's still trying to do what he used to but it's not working anymore and he doesn't know what to do.

I genuinely feel really sorry for him as i think he's trying his best and keeps plugging away hoping it'll click back into place for him. But it's not and his frustration and confidence keeps sinking lower and lower.

I think for his own good and the teams - maybe he needs a break from the first team. I'm sure he'd hate that but maybe if he went to play a couple of times for the U23s, where he's more likely to have a good game and get some goals it may start to rebuild his confidence and then carry it back into first team football.

There's no way he should be starting at the moment or keeping the likes of Jones, J Smith or Stones off the bench. I'd prefer to have Sze on ahead of Lang at the moment too. There's no doubting Lang has it in him, but when he's not showing it there comes a point where you can't keep getting the benefit of the doubt. I'd put Aasgaard in that same category too tbh.
Lang needs to be out wide and you will see a different player. That’s the managers fault Lang now looks like the fall guy now the problem is they all don’t look good enough. Loan players have been a total let down. Watts nothing like the player that was here last time. When smith is back fit. Stick with the team that started the season. First 4 games. Pearce was fantastic. The reason we are in this mess is the constant team changes. And using 5 subs every game.