Appleton Leaving? | Page 9 | Vital Football

Appleton Leaving?

Has any mention been made of David Kerslake? Is he also leaving? Is he a candidate to take over from MA?
Liam indicated conversations would take place, or words to that effect. Basically, the new manager will want his own team around him, that is how football works.

I think all barring the signed paperwork all is in place regarding the new coach. I thought Michael was a very good coach had a style of play that when it worked was pleasing to the eye. As with anything you do in life all has to align to be successful obviously this year was not as good as last yet four teams paid the price for being worse. I wish Michael and his family all the best and think he will go up the pyramid. Im personally sorry to see him go but football is a business sometimes its time to move on. We are lucky to also have a pro active board and backroom staff. Sometimes people need to look at the hrs etc they all put in before being over critical as i said sometimes things need to align. This year wasnt our year

I’m not sure why so many people think it was Appleton’s decision to leave. If I read the club statement correctly it was Clive Nates that suggested to Appleton that he might want to look elsewhere in the summer. I don’t know but I’m guessing after 2 poor transfer windows the Board didn’t want to risk a third. If that is the case it shows the integrity of Appleton that he continued to the end of the season

Kerslake will definitely be leaving, the new man will want to work with his own 'team'.
I know he was not the Manager but only Assistant Manager but have never known a more anonymous part of a management team.

Yes most Man City and Liverpool players concur that the number one reason they are some of the best coaches in the world is their animation. Key to their success. Given they often play in some of the noisiest stadiums they also have a knack of signing players with amazing hearing and those who can play, concentrate and watch their managers get animated at the same time. It is a massive skill.

I’m not saying it’s the most important part of management, but it’s the small margins. It also gets the crowd up a little bit.. it’s got some advantage or managers wouldn’t waste the energy doing it.

I’m not sure why so many people think it was Appleton’s decision to leave. If I read the club statement correctly it was Clive Nates that suggested to Appleton that he might want to look elsewhere in the summer. I don’t know but I’m guessing after 2 poor transfer windows the Board didn’t want to risk a third. If that is the case it shows the integrity of Appleton that he continued to the end of the season

Keeping in mind our situation around needing to secure points, I’m not sure telling the manager he’s out of a job in the summer would have been the wisest motivational move. Who knows but I’m sticking with my hunch that MAPP instigated the parting albeit we maybe readily accepted the situation.

Just a few thoughts to add to this thread. I was in two minds over MA's departure, whether he went or was pushed is irrelevant, he's gone.
Firstly, I take comfort in the fact the club, probably the most important factor in all this is in great shape. A healthy fanbase, astute and proactive people at the top, a decent ground and training ground, and a brand name, thanks to our meteoric rise that attracts investment, players, and I would suggest, potential managers. You've only got to look in Lancashire, at the likes of Bury and Oldham, and take comfort in the fact you support the Imps at this time.
MA was probably the best fit after the Cowleys, because whilst they brought us success and the prize of a Football League place again, they were never a long term prospect, and I suspect that we would never had the season of flowing football we had when we were one game from the Championship , and the crowds stayed and the football was glorious, and their time at Huddersfield and Portsmouth reflects that. But we really overachieved that season, and we have not been as lucky in the transfer market or the loan market this season. There's a player in Whittaker, Fiorini and BNC, but they've not gelled with the rest like Johnson and Morgan, and of course we've had the injury list from hell. MA was a real coach, unlike the Cowleys, but he never really connected with the fanbase, which may have helped, and it did appear his man management skills were lacking at times as players did appear to be frozen out (Melbourne, etc) and others unsuccessfully recruited to take their place.
So we have a new incoming manager. I look forward to the new season, Division 1 status preserved, with the prospect of some great games, hopefully with an up and coming coach who can connect with the fans, but without the fist pumping and hype, and manage a smaller group of players and loanees and play some attractive football and getting the results too. To steal a phrase, 'In Nates and Co. we trust'. Up the Imps

I would imagine they probably only had the discussion when we were 9 or ten points clear a couple of weeks ago and was looking incredibly likely we would stay up even if we lost all our remaining games.

Not sure about integrity coming into it. Appleton was an employee of the club. He had his budget meeting with the Chairman, decided that he couldn't take us any further and they have both come to a mutual agreement for the parting of of the waves.
Don't forget he was under contract and he would have a sacking/parting clause in that contract so far from chucking his toys out the pram and just buggering off it would of been in his interest, ie for the collection of his parting gesture to stay until the agreed time frame he would of agreed with the Chairman, which would of been until the end of the season.

He said this after the Accrington game:

View attachment 57329

Bit of a bizarre thing to say, under the assumption that these talks have been happening for the last few weeks.

Unless we’re changing the model, he was informed, and it’s stemmed from there? Even so, the timing of those comments is a bit awry.

If you read these comments in conjunction with what MA said after we lost to Wigan I think there is a big clue as to why he’s gone. Basically he was disparaging about the way Wigan play, even though they’d just beaten us and were clearly on their way to promotion. MA is such a footballing purist he seems to consider allying a robust and physical approach with some decent football (like Wigan do) as somehow not playing the game the right way. However focussing only on highly skilled technical players, if it is to bring success, will cost far more more than Lincoln can afford, especially given our club’s refusal to get into debt.
I think it likely that MA’s refusal to take a pragmatic approach and compromise his purist approach to fit the budget available is why both sides agreed it is best he should leave

If you read these comments in conjunction with what MA said after we lost to Wigan I think there is a big clue as to why he’s gone. Basically he was disparaging about the way Wigan play, even though they’d just beaten us and were clearly on their way to promotion. MA is such a footballing purist he seems to consider allying a robust and physical approach with some decent football (like Wigan do) as somehow not playing the game the right way. However focussing only on highly skilled technical players, if it is to bring success, will cost far more more than Lincoln can afford, especially given our club’s refusal to get into debt.
I think it likely that MA’s refusal to take a pragmatic approach and compromise his purist approach to fit the budget available is why both sides agreed it is best he should leave

yeah we all like fine dining but some days one has to make do with a cheese sandwich

Reading what Liam Scully and Clive Nates have said this hasn't just happened but was decided over the last few weeks. The best way of describing it is an amicable divorce. Whichever way you look at it the Board have not been satisfied with our achievements this season.
Mapp is probably a victim of his own success last season. This seasons recruitment hasn't worked out and maybe Mapp didn't have the total say on this but must have had an input. His stubborness hasn't helped him as well. He bigged up the signing of Maguire and then failed to admit it had not worked out and kept picking him when it was obvious he hasn't contributed enough to the team.
Others have been frozen out and alienated and not given a chance.
I also wonder if our American investor has had any input to this decision but we will never know.
Time to move on Mapp has gone and good luck to him now we look forward to a new Driver for the loco.
Another Maguire hater. You always pick the best team available especially when relegation is a possibility. Maguire or Sanders? Its a no brainer it really is .I wish we could have seen Bridcut with Maguire that would have changed the emphasis somewhat

Another Maguire hater. You always pick the best team available especially when relegation is a possibility. Maguire or Sanders? Its a no brainer it really is .I wish we could have seen Bridcut with Maguire that would have changed the emphasis somewhat
Totally agree.

It’s not about “hating” Maguire, it’s more that he was a poor fit for the team available around him. In a more ‘skilled’ side, with others having more intelligent movement off the ball and giving him better offload options, he may well of been a success. But he was often pulled too deep, and not supported. He played a screamer against Sunderland, so I struggle to see why he couldn’t replicate that in at least one other performance across the whole season. As it was, he was a liability at times. With a different manager, that he has to work hard to impress rather than be guaranteed a start, a tweaked playing style, and a more supportive cast around him, who knows. I’m prepared to be swayed. But playing Maguire and McGrandles, together, was not clicking. Not claiming there were better options, but I expected more from an established senior player. It left McGrandles’ in a no-win scenario, trying to be the entire midfield for much of the season, and his effectiveness was also limited from what it could have been as a result.

It’s not about “hating” Maguire, it’s more that he was a poor fit for the team available around him. In a more ‘skilled’ side, with others having more intelligent movement off the ball and giving him better offload options, he may well of been a success. But he was often pulled too deep, and not supported. He played a screamer against Sunderland, so I struggle to see why he couldn’t replicate that in at least one other performance across the whole season. As it was, he was a liability at times. With a different manager, that he has to work hard to impress rather than be guaranteed a start, a tweaked playing style, and a more supportive cast around him, who knows. I’m prepared to be swayed. But playing Maguire and McGrandles, together, was not clicking. Not claiming there were better options, but I expected more from an established senior player. It left McGrandles’ in a no-win scenario, trying to be the entire midfield for much of the season, and his effectiveness was also limited from what it could have been as a result.
OK hater is the wrong description but I still disagree. The only consistent players were Maccie G and Poole. However I do not think Maguire was a let down in comparison to some others out there

I stand by what I have said about Maguire. Apart from one standout game he has not produced the goods for us. In the games he has not played we have definitely moved the ball quicker and looked a better team. It is not as if he wasn't given enough opportunities to prove himself. In my opinion, which appears to be the majority opinion, he was picked far too many times when he was clearly out of form.
With regards to Sanders ,who also had an excellent game in Maguires Sunderland revenge mission , I did call for him to ge given more opportunities in the team which until recently he hasn't been given. I am fully willing to admit that he hasn't taken those opportunities and think he will be leaving us this summer.
I didn't ever tout him as a replacement for Maguire in the team more to cover for Bridcutts absence.
As regards Maguire I was always baffled as to what position he was playing anyway was he on the wing, midfield up front or just given a licence to roam? I just These are just my honest opinions andcrespect anybody else's whether they are contrary to mine or not.

Just a few thoughts to add to this thread. I was in two minds over MA's departure, whether he went or was pushed is irrelevant, he's gone.
Firstly, I take comfort in the fact the club, probably the most important factor in all this is in great shape. A healthy fanbase, astute and proactive people at the top, a decent ground and training ground, and a brand name, thanks to our meteoric rise that attracts investment, players, and I would suggest, potential managers. You've only got to look in Lancashire, at the likes of Bury and Oldham, and take comfort in the fact you support the Imps at this time.
MA was probably the best fit after the Cowleys, because whilst they brought us success and the prize of a Football League place again, they were never a long term prospect, and I suspect that we would never had the season of flowing football we had when we were one game from the Championship , and the crowds stayed and the football was glorious, and their time at Huddersfield and Portsmouth reflects that. But we really overachieved that season, and we have not been as lucky in the transfer market or the loan market this season. There's a player in Whittaker, Fiorini and BNC, but they've not gelled with the rest like Johnson and Morgan, and of course we've had the injury list from hell. MA was a real coach, unlike the Cowleys, but he never really connected with the fanbase, which may have helped, and it did appear his man management skills were lacking at times as players did appear to be frozen out (Melbourne, etc) and others unsuccessfully recruited to take their place.
So we have a new incoming manager. I look forward to the new season, Division 1 status preserved, with the prospect of some great games, hopefully with an up and coming coach who can connect with the fans, but without the fist pumping and hype, and manage a smaller group of players and loanees and play some attractive football and getting the results too. To steal a phrase, 'In Nates and Co. we trust'. Up the Imps
That's a good summary, difficult to argue with any of it. I wonder what DC could achieve with Portsmouth, though? He was handed a bucket of crap to deal with last summer - to reduce the wage bill drastically due to Covid losses (£700,000 per month) and stadium redevelopment - so it is little wonder they did not make the play-offs. However, they did finish the season strongly, top 6 over the final ten games, and he is clever in the transfer market. Could be a force next season.

MAPPs talent is coaching, it isn’t PR, it isn’t sideline hysterics, it isn’t rah-rah pom-pom shaking, it isn’t being the face of Lincoln City Football Club. Coaching youngsters is where he has made his name, that’s what his passion is and that will be the job he goes back to.

Most sensible and reasoned piece that‘s been been written on the subject so far, congratulations.
Excellent summary of the current situation sticking entirely to fact and leaving conjecture to others. We have a lot to be thankful for at this football club,which, some doom and gloom merchants would do well to acknowledge.