Appleton Leaving? | Page 6 | Vital Football

Appleton Leaving?

Quite shocked by the news. If neither party - MA and the Board - were 100% behind the future direction then it’s for the best. If it’s down to MA needing a rest, then that is totally understandable, and I respect the agreement that allows MA to do just that - and a diversion in to developing (perhaps part time) a group of U19 or U21 players elsewhere would seem ideal. For me, I’m sorry to see him go; his view on how the game should be played is a desirable one, but execution was lacking. How much is down to MA, the players, the coaching, is anybody’s guess. It has seemed, this season, a situation of a square peg in a round hole - trying to get a PL philosophy ingrained in to a group of L1/L2 players that simply are not up to it. A major upheaval in the squad is needed, and perhaps MA doesn’t (or the Board doesn’t) feel that he is fit enough to carry that through. There has seemed a sense of tension for a while. The lack of a Plan B in games, and cohesion in the squad, has been frustrating for a whille. While I am really sorry to see MA leave, and grateful for the glimpses of what might have been over the last couple of seasons, change was needed. A more dynamic and communication-savvy leader might be more appropriate at this level - to bring the best out of a solid L1 side? Thanks MA for keeping a steady ship afloat on choppy waters. It’s been a difficult few years, and we remain in L1. The expectation (not entitlement) is that we should be competing half a dozen places higher up the league table, and not require 44 games to survive with a reliance on there being four hopeless sides to cushion us. The first 70 minutes today (no passion, no direction, against a relegated side) proved that we will go down next season, if major change doesn’t eventuate. That obviously has started immediately. Thanks MA, and all the very best for the future.

Quite shocked by the news. If neither party - MA and the Board - were 100% behind the future direction then it’s for the best. If it’s down to MA needing a rest, then that is totally understandable, and I respect the agreement that allows MA to do just that - and a diversion in to developing (perhaps part time) a group of U19 or U21 players elsewhere would seem ideal. For me, I’m sorry to see him go; his view on how the game should be played is a desirable one, but execution was lacking. How much is down to MA, the players, the coaching, is anybody’s guess. It has seemed, this season, a situation of a square peg in a round hole - trying to get a PL philosophy ingrained in to a group of L1/L2 players that simply are not up to it. A major upheaval in the squad is needed, and perhaps MA doesn’t (or the Board doesn’t) feel that he is fit enough to carry that through. There has seemed a sense of tension for a while. The lack of a Plan B in games, and cohesion in the squad, has been frustrating for a whille. While I am really sorry to see MA leave, and grateful for the glimpses of what might have been over the last couple of seasons, change was needed. A more dynamic and communication-savvy leader might be more appropriate at this level - to bring the best out of a solid L1 side? Thanks MA for keeping a steady ship afloat on choppy waters. It’s been a difficult few years, and we remain in L1. The expectation (not entitlement) is that we should be competing half a dozen places higher up the league table, and not require 44 games to survive with a reliance on there being four hopeless sides to cushion us. The first 70 minutes today (no passion, no direction, against a relegated side) proved that we will go down next season, if major change doesn’t eventuate. That obviously has started immediately. Thanks MA, and all the very best for the future.

And yet, we were 12 points clear of the drop.

Just heard today’s post-match interview.

If I’d not been on social media this afternoon, I wouldn’t have had any inkling at all that Appleton knew he wouldn’t be here next season.

Just catching up on this news. I think whoever takes over has very big boots to fill. 3 consecutive seasons in League 1 is a tremendous achievement and I wish MA all the very best in whatever his future roles in football entails. If it is with the England development squads they could not pick anyone better.
Thank you for the last 3 seasons. They've been a blast

I am surprised because there had been media reports and indications that he was going to be here next year but i am certainly not shocked.
I do think it is probably for the best.
MA had shown signs of frustration in some of his interviews and it's certainly not easy regularly having long commutes and staying away from home when you have a young family I can vouch for that from experience.
Football is much more of a transitory business these days and, although we are thankfully not a hire em and fire em club, 3 years is still a long time for a manager.
Last season was great for the most of it but we seem to have come full circle over the 3 years and there have been enough uninspiring performances and, to me, questionable management decisions to not be particularly unhappy with where we are tonight.

I am surprised because there had been media reports and indications that he was going to be here next year but i am certainly not shocked.
I do think it is probably for the best.
MA had shown signs of frustration in some of his interviews and it's certainly not easy regularly having long commutes and staying away from home when you have a young family I can vouch for that from experience.
Football is much more of a transitory business these days and, although we are thankfully not a hire em and fire em club, 3 years is still a long time for a manager.
Last season was great for the most of it but we seem to have come full circle over the 3 years and there have been enough uninspiring performances and, to me, questionable management decisions to not be particularly unhappy with where we are tonight.

This is a very good slant on the matter. I have great respect for MA and his, albeit minimal, achievements at City. He did, at least, offer a reasonable amount of stability pointing towards future growth, for which I commend him.

My only real criticism of MA was his inability (or unwillingness) to be a little more demonstrative on the sidelines. The Cowleys were, unquestionably, very vociferous in their support (or otherwise) of the team before, during, and after each game. They demonstrated real passion for the Club; I think that MA didn't do that in the slightest and maybe that was the real difference.

In any case, I wish him heartfelt good fortune in his future, whatever that may bring.

He said this after the Accrington game:

00CA8302-1B0E-435A-9BB2-B14D9E8623E5.jpeg

Bit of a bizarre thing to say, under the assumption that these talks have been happening for the last few weeks.

Unless we’re changing the model, he was informed, and it’s stemmed from there? Even so, the timing of those comments is a bit awry.

This is a very good slant on the matter. I have great respect for MA and his, albeit minimal, achievements at City. He did, at least, offer a reasonable amount of stability pointing towards future growth, for which I commend him.

My only real criticism of MA was his inability (or unwillingness) to be a little more demonstrative on the sidelines. The Cowleys were, unquestionably, very vociferous in their support (or otherwise) of the team before, during, and after each game. They demonstrated real passion for the Club; I think that MA didn't do that in the slightest and maybe that was the real difference.

In any case, I wish him heartfelt good fortune in his future, whatever that may bring.
I always think managers should wear poms-poms and cheerlead from the sidelines and an occasional booking always demonstrates their commitment. The funniest thing about that, is it reduces their time on the planet and the players can't hear a damn thing they are saying. In fact the better players think managers like that are a joke, as it reflects a lack of coaching in the week! Most just ignore it. Managers like that do it everywhere they go so it has nothing to do with real passion for the club just an intrinsic weakness in believing they are having an impact - See Steve Evans.

He said this after the Accrington game:

View attachment 57329

Bit of a bizarre thing to say, under the assumption that these talks have been happening for the last few weeks.

Unless we’re changing the model, he was informed, and it’s stemmed from there? Even so, the timing of those comments is a bit awry.

I think you are looking into this too much. I doubt are approach will change after all it was the club that found a manager that complemented their view I suspect that will happen again. Perhaps Appleton wants to work somewhere else with different players different people. If he is coaching at international level that might better suit him then league one. Also we want someone who wants to be here. I wouldn’t read too much into interviews - after all I am sure someone got about heated with BBC lincs when they said have you spoken to a club in West Yorks only to go there.

Appleton has left no point dwelling on the whys just look forward

I think you are looking into this too much. I doubt are approach will change after all it was the club that found a manager that complemented their view I suspect that will happen again. Perhaps Appleton wants to work somewhere else with different players different people. If he is coaching at international level that might better suit him then league one. Also we want someone who wants to be here. I wouldn’t read too much into interviews - after all I am sure someone got about heated with BBC lincs when they said have you spoken to a club in West Yorks only to go there.

Appleton has left no point dwelling on the whys just look forward

Splendid. May as well close the thread then.

Surprised to hear this just now on Quest highlights programme. Is assistant manager and recruitment team also going? Also those responsible for training and fitness (or lack of fitness in our case)?
Maguire must certainly be a gonner.
Don't know how I feel about next season's prospects right now. There are a lot of crap ex-managers our there looking for a job. Hope our owners know what they're doing.

Having spent the afternoon laughing at Plymuff, and laughing some more after that, this news certainly sobered me up…
Really grateful for what MApp achieved in a short time, especially the football we played last year which was always going to be difficult to match. Not sure if it’s been mentioned but I wonder when the players really knew? Some have been ‘off it’ for weeks or like Hopper just looked disappointed? Any incline from that I dunno?
However good luck to him and wish him all the best.

As for next manager, he was taken from wba under 23s and shortly afterwards the Liverpool u23s boss went to Blackpool (?) so I wouldn’t be surprised if that was a source of the new boss; whichever set up it is will remain a secret no doubt until an announcement. I do wonder about Landon Donovan though?
I could spin that another way, players are funny things, he’s not been picking Hopper so he could well be happy he’s gone. Likewise various others out of favour.

Appleton seemed a decent guy and had an incredible season last season. Lincoln have played some good the best football I’ve ever seen is play under him. I thank him and wish him well. I, like most others on here are not party to Michael’s thinking or that of Liam, Clive, etc. But I wholeheartedly trust Clive to make the right decisions. Ok Michael and the Imps have parted company, but all seems handled very professionally, not the drama seen at other clubs. All the best Michael and thank you. When the new guy is appointed though, I’m backing him (or her…)

I always think managers should wear poms-poms and cheerlead from the sidelines and an occasional booking always demonstrates their commitment. The funniest thing about that, is it reduces their time on the planet and the players can't hear a damn thing they are saying. In fact the better players think managers like that are a joke, as it reflects a lack of coaching in the week! Most just ignore it. Managers like that do it everywhere they go so it has nothing to do with real passion for the club just an intrinsic weakness in believing they are having an impact - See Steve Evans.

There's a balance to be struck though isn't there. He wasn't helped but following likely our most demonstrative manager or most current fans' time supporting the club, so the contrast couldn't really be more stark. As with most things in life, the ideal is probably some sort of hybrid of the two styles.

Personally, I think the way the Cowleys conducted themselves on the touchline, histrionics and all, was good for winning us some points we'd otherwise have lost (though obviously that's impossible to quantify).

Whenever I think of the differences between the two styles, I think of Harry Anderson. Danny and Nicky were constantly at him whenever he was playing on the Selenity side, coaching him through the game, and undoubtedly it happened to others. Sadly, for all the work that goes in on the training ground, is the typical League 1 / higher level young loanee capable of staying 'on method' throughout an entire game, with what always seemed to be minimal input from the dugout? Game after game, the most action there seemed to be was either Croudson with his folder when readying a sub, or whoever it is strolling over to the fourth official for a moan every five minutes.

Having said all that, I still don't know whether it'll turn out to be the right decision. My biggest gripe with Michael was what came across as his stubbornness - playing his favourites regardless of form, freezing others out, not changing tactics when games were crying out for it. A bit more willingness to be flexible would have earned him a bit more credit in the eyes of the 'Appleton Out' camp. All I do know is I'm comfortable that the board will likely pull a name from somewhere I've not heard of, and I'll be confident he'll go on to do a decent job for us.

"with what always seemed to be minimal input from the dugout? Game after game, the most action there seemed to be was either Croudson with his folder when readying a sub, or whoever it is strolling over to the fourth official for a moan every five minutes. "

I do think an enthusiastic manager on the touchline can have an effect in the last ten minutes of a tight game by getting the crowd behind the team. We saw the Cowleys do that at Portsmouth a few weeks ago.

I know it was not MA's style, but its a game of small margins, and I just don't think we have taken any advantage this season of our excellent home support. The crowd can do a certain amount to help the players late in games, but can do even more with a manager urging them on.

Tactically, when things are not working, there has to be an input during a game too, which we never really saw from MA.

Difficult for MA though following the Cowleys. Totally chalk and cheese between the two styles. More crowd involvement and more excitement with the Cowleys, more attractive football with MA.

I'm looking forward to what we are served up from here on in.