Appleton Leaving? | Page 7 | Vital Football

Appleton Leaving?

Totally shocked. Went to bed relaxed after yesterday’s (last night for me) game looking forward to a restful close season allied to a decent recruitment period and pre-season hoping for no lengthy injury list - and wake up to the news that MA has gone 😳😱🤯. I always thought there was a possibility (it’s football) but dismissed it thinking he would be looking forward to another challenge next year with the full backing of the Board and the majority of the fans.
There’s been so much speculation in this thread about why he has gone and the circumstances. Some of it is probably knee-jerk and some because some people don’t entirely agree with the way MA goes about his work, etc. Personally I have a lot of time for MA and his footballing philosophy. We have enjoyed some of the best football I have seen at the Bank in over 50 years and at times in games I have just sat back in awe to watch the way moves have developed and goals scored. I for one will miss you MA and I really hope that, whatever you go on to, you enjoy it and get fulfilment out of it. Most importantly I hope your health stays good. Thank you for all you have given us over the last three years and for keeping us in L1 this year.

Totally shocked. Went to bed relaxed after yesterday’s (last night for me) game looking forward to a restful close season allied to a decent recruitment period and pre-season hoping for no lengthy injury list - and wake up to the news that MA has gone 😳😱🤯. I always thought there was a possibility (it’s football) but dismissed it thinking he would be looking forward to another challenge next year with the full backing of the Board and the majority of the fans.
There’s been so much speculation in this thread about why he has gone and the circumstances. Some of it is probably knee-jerk and some because some people don’t entirely agree with the way MA goes about his work, etc. Personally I have a lot of time for MA and his footballing philosophy. We have enjoyed some of the best football I have seen at the Bank in over 50 years and at times in games I have just sat back in awe to watch the way moves have developed and goals scored. I for one will miss you MA and I really hope that, whatever you go on to, you enjoy it and get fulfilment out of it. Most importantly I hope your health stays good. Thank you for all you have given us over the last three years and for keeping us in L1 this year.
Agree and going to be a hard act to follow however the board i think are very astute no rushing in to it. But i think the new one is already in place.

Can’t argue with much of that - just that the moments of “the best football I have seen at the Bank” were too few and far between, and often not at the Bank (or at an empty Bank). If we could only have seen a little more consistency, and some evidence of growth and passion with a few of the players (taking Poole as their role model perhaps), it would have been magical times. Events, personal and global, haven’t helped MA. I’m sure he’ll find a great new challenge, and I wish him well. Don’t see that the model needs to change greatly moving forwards, but we need a few streetwise players in, those that can play a decent pass once in a while, that bring youngsters in to the game while covering their backs, that can mix it up when needed. Rather than set the bar too high too quickly in going all out to be a pure total football side.
I hope we’re not asking Maguire to step up as player-manager! Perhaps offloading Maguire (hoping) was the catalyst for his mate MA to leave? Or budget, it nearly always comes down to budget.

Last edited:
It seems beyond reasonable doubt that his departure was agreed before yesterday and probably some time in advance.

I don’t really understand why it was not announced before the match yesterday so the fans could show their appreciation for what MA achieved. We were safe and it couldn’t have harmed anything. I’m sure both parties had their reasons.

I agree with posters who say he may have become increasingly unhappy in the role and this was no snap decision. I recall a comment several weeks ago when he said that when it was his time to leave the club would already have candidates assessed and ready to approach. Not his exact words but that was the gist of what I read. Probably, that was the beginning of the end or maybe the decision had been made already.

I’m personally sad we couldn’t give him a send off.

We’ve played some great stuff and arguably at times the best I’ve ever seen in my 60 years being an Imp. We’ve also seen some very limp performances this season. But overall MA has done a good job taking over from the Cowleys.

Last season we over achieved beyond our wildest dreams and were probably the width of the crossbar away from winning the play off final (I doubt Blackpool would have recorded from 2 down after 20 mins or so).

This season has been frustrating with patches of brilliance but generally mediocre and the fan base has been brilliant as they’ve turned up home and away in very decent numbers.

I doubt we will wait long for the new appointment and the next journey for the Lincoln loco starts….

Best of luck to MA for his future and also to Clive and the board for making the right decision to match their ambitions for all Imps.

Best of luck for the future to Michael, he has left us with some great memories and a taste of the football we are hoping to play going forwards.

The interview where he stated he put Steve Evans back in his box still makes me laugh.

It will be interesting to see how the new head coach/ manager interacts with the fans, given the different styles of the two previous ones.

Michael got a tough gig following the Cowleys and acquitted himself well as three seasons in League 1 proves.
I'd just like to wish him all the best for the future and thank him for the groundwork he's provided for us to kick on. I have full confidence that Clive and the board will fill his position with a credible replacement.
"How will we cope?" was the cry from many when Danny and Nicky left, well, the club upgraded with Michael and I'm sure we'll do it again.
Really looking forward to next season, one day after finishing this one. UTMI

Remember an interview with the excellent Southampton Chairman a few weeks back when interviewed on Radio 5 Live, when he said in effect all Chairman worth their salt have a succession plan ready, targets identified, for when their Manager leaves often after discussion with their existing Manager. I have no doubt Clive has something very similar ready and probably well advanced by now.
UTI.

Remember an interview with the excellent Southampton Chairman a few weeks back when interviewed on Radio 5 Live, when he said in effect all Chairman worth their salt have a succession plan ready, targets identified, for when their Manager leaves often after discussion with their existing Manager. I have no doubt Clive has something very similar ready and probably well advanced by now.
UTI.

I wonder if we can expect an announcement, in short order, re the new manager? Interesting times.

There's a balance to be struck though isn't there. He wasn't helped but following likely our most demonstrative manager or most current fans' time supporting the club, so the contrast couldn't really be more stark. As with most things in life, the ideal is probably some sort of hybrid of the two styles.

Personally, I think the way the Cowleys conducted themselves on the touchline, histrionics and all, was good for winning us some points we'd otherwise have lost (though obviously that's impossible to quantify).

Whenever I think of the differences between the two styles, I think of Harry Anderson. Danny and Nicky were constantly at him whenever he was playing on the Selenity side, coaching him through the game, and undoubtedly it happened to others. Sadly, for all the work that goes in on the training ground, is the typical League 1 / higher level young loanee capable of staying 'on method' throughout an entire game, with what always seemed to be minimal input from the dugout? Game after game, the most action there seemed to be was either Croudson with his folder when readying a sub, or whoever it is strolling over to the fourth official for a moan every five minutes.

Having said all that, I still don't know whether it'll turn out to be the right decision. My biggest gripe with Michael was what came across as his stubbornness - playing his favourites regardless of form, freezing others out, not changing tactics when games were crying out for it. A bit more willingness to be flexible would have earned him a bit more credit in the eyes of the 'Appleton Out' camp. All I do know is I'm comfortable that the board will likely pull a name from somewhere I've not heard of, and I'll be confident he'll go on to do a decent job for us.
My favourite post .. and one that has saved me a lot of time, . I would add one point that has not been mentioned , and that is the way he denegrated some of his signings in the CURRENT edition of the Lincolnshire Echo . That does not impress me !

To be honest I think this is one of those urban myths, I’m sure there are lots of examples where we changed things mid game just because MA is not waving his arms about doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

Sunderland second leg of the playoff game last season being a prime example. We came out a different side to the one that went in at half time...

Some of the changes that are often made during games aren't even noticeable by the average fan like us either. Unless it's obvious and a formation change, often doesn't even register what's happened!

Reading what Liam Scully and Clive Nates have said this hasn't just happened but was decided over the last few weeks. The best way of describing it is an amicable divorce. Whichever way you look at it the Board have not been satisfied with our achievements this season.
Mapp is probably a victim of his own success last season. This seasons recruitment hasn't worked out and maybe Mapp didn't have the total say on this but must have had an input. His stubborness hasn't helped him as well. He bigged up the signing of Maguire and then failed to admit it had not worked out and kept picking him when it was obvious he hasn't contributed enough to the team.
Others have been frozen out and alienated and not given a chance.
I also wonder if our American investor has had any input to this decision but we will never know.
Time to move on Mapp has gone and good luck to him now we look forward to a new Driver for the loco.

Apols if this has already been posted and I've missed it. Interview with Liam Scully. Not sure it adds anything - certainly not what the "misalignment" was. And I suppose at the end of the day it is an employment contract, and thereby confidential

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/...ws/lincoln-city-michael-appleton-exit-7023281
"We absolutely didn’t hit the sweet spot in the league this season, we’re all aware of that. It’s our job to reflect on that and put it right ahead of next season.”

That may suggest the real reason for MA's departure, which is presumably the first stage in putting it right.

I also wonder if our American investor has had any input to this decision but we will never know.
Don't forget that Harvey is an investor, not a director, and therefore not part of the decision-making process of the business. However, I think someone said Harvey is here at the moment as well as Clive - the presence of both is possibly related to yesterday's significant announcement and the appointment of the new manager. I don't think an announcement will be far away, especially given that MA's departure was clearly agreed some time ago.