👨🏼‍💼 Ange Postecoglou - Manager Thread | Page 40 | Vital Football

👨🏼‍💼 Ange Postecoglou - Manager Thread

Spurs have been one of the Premier League’s busiest sides this month, bringing in Timo Werner on loan and Radu Dragusin for £25.8 million, while loaning out several fringe first-team players.

They have also looked at bringing in a midfielder, with Chelsea’s Conor Gallagher and Jacob Ramsey of Aston Villa among the players they admire. On the outgoings front, Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg has been the subject of interest from several clubs, while Bryan Gil is another one who has attracted interest.

Postecoglou was also asked on Tuesday about Jurgen Klopp’s departure from Liverpool and the challenge of staying motivated and not suffering burnout.

Postecoglou, 58, explained that the way he has managed it in his career so far is not to stay anywhere too long. “If you ask me about my longevity, part of that process for me has been moving on after three or four years or two years,” said Postecoglou, whose longest stint in club football has been three years. “I’ve mostly done it after success but I know how hard it is to rebuild after you’ve done that and I’ve found it’s always better to move on. At the time that’s how I’ve felt. I can see how if you stay at one club, if you need to do one, two, maybe a third rebuild it can be taxing.”

On whether he would change that pattern of not staying at a club long enough to have to do one or multiple rebuilds, Postecoglou said: “I don’t know. You just address those things. Ultimately you just go with how you feel at the time and that’s always what I’ve done. If I felt that it was time for me to move because there was another challenge that I really like or enjoy, I’ve made that decision.

“I haven’t based any decision I’ve made around security or contracts because I’ve probably left secure positions for insecure positions because that’s how I am as a person. I know that is when I work at my best. I don’t know whether that changes over time, but I’ve never pre-empted that stuff or put any timelines to it.

“It could be two years, could be three years, could be four years, it could be longer than that but I’ve always moved when I’ve felt there was another challenge there that I thought would be the best fit for me.”
Thus far in his career he has been able to move upwards, so it has been a relatively easy decision.

It will be interesting to see whether this is still an option in two or three years' time. If it is then at least we can console ourselves that he has made us successful.

Thus far in his career he has been able to move upwards, so it has been a relatively easy decision.

It will be interesting to see whether this is still an option in two or three years' time. If it is then at least we can console ourselves that he has made us successful.
You mirror my thoughts. If he brings success to us, and by the time his tenure ends, we could be the second / third richest club in the Prem and have the budgets to match. It will be a huge decision t leave us if he has to make that decision before we do!

You mirror my thoughts. If he brings success to us, and by the time his tenure ends, we could be the second / third richest club in the Prem and have the budgets to match. It will be a huge decision t leave us if he has to make that decision before we do!

I still think our trophy status will be a major conversation point in how long we have this manager for. That will come from both parties.

Interestingly, I don't think Ange will want to stay if he is going into year 4 without a trophy. He'll withdraw gracefully and let the next person have a go.

I also think there is a scenario after 3 years without a trophy where Levy (lol, either one) might force that change as well. That will also be the burnout stage for a bunch of these senior players.

I still think our trophy status will be a major conversation point in how long we have this manager for. That will come from both parties.

Interestingly, I don't think Ange will want to stay if he is going into year 4 without a trophy. He'll withdraw gracefully and let the next person have a go.

I also think there is a scenario after 3 years without a trophy where Levy (lol, either one) might force that change as well. That will also be the burnout stage for a bunch of these senior players.
Levy has now met his own conditions for success, so I expect him to now be more impatient than ever! LOL!

read more here:​

Ange praises Paratici’s work at Tottenham: ‘He’s a smart guy’​

By Charlie Eccleshare

"Postecoglou has not spoken previously about his relationship with Paratici, but said on Wednesday: “Obviously I know Fabio and every now and then we’ll exchange messages or calls. He’s a smart guy and you can see that he’s got a great eye for talent.”

“Within the workings of the club and what I do, I don’t have that kind of engagement. Not just with Fabio but with most people. It’s more about what the priority is right now, this week, and my focus is on the football and the football department.
“I don’t have a lot of dialogue with too many people. That’s how I structure my working life, I keep these things to a minimum.”

Ange Postecoglou says Tottenham's off-field rebuild is still "not where it needs to be" and believes the club remains some way behind Manchester City, Liverpool and Arsenal in establishing a successful backroom staff and environment.

Spurs have made encouraging progress on the pitch since Postecoglou's appointment and they can move into the top four with a home win over Brentford tonight.

Postecoglou joined Spurs with a mandate to improve results and style of play, as well as oversee a cultural re-set, and the Australian says he would be "a fool" to think he could transform the club in just six months.
"There's a good foundation but do I think we're where we want to be off the field? No. Not from a football perspective anyway," said the head coach. "I just think it's the nature of a rebuild in my experience. They don't happen in six months — the way you work, the staffing, the environment.
Ange Postecoglou has transformed the club's positive vibes

"We've made inroads but I definitely don't think it's ingrained or established in here yet. It can't be after six months and I'd be a fool if I thought it was. You look at Liverpool, Manchester City and Arsenal, and it didn't happen for them in the first six months, so there's no waving of a wand here.

"I know that it [our environment] is not where it needs to be yet but we do have some things definitely there. [In terms of] facilities [and] resources, we're well-placed. But when you've got all those things, you've got to take advantage of it. You've got to use it well because the measure is not how well-placed you are, it's how you execute.

"I still think with all those things we're still in the building phase. We're not in the phase of catapulting ourselves to where we want to be."

Since the resignation of managing director Fabio Paratici in April last year, Spurs have restructured behind the scenes, with Johan Lange named as technical director in October, reporting to new head of football operations, Scott Munn. Postecoglou believes Spurs still need further appointments and have work to do to change the mentality throughout the club.

"[It's about] both behaviours and appointments," he said. "It comes down to people — they cover both things. I've been here six months, Scott Munn has been here less, Johan's been here two months.

"So when you're looking at the football side of things, all of us are just getting started. It's key obviously that us three are aligned in what we want to do from a football perspective.
"But until that's done — and that can only happen over time — that's when you feel a bit more secure about saying we can still go to the next level."

Liverpool are likely facing a period of transition when manager Jurgen Klopp steps aside after nine years in the summer, while City manager Pep Guardiola is out of contract next year — potentially leading to an opportunity for Spurs to capitalise on the disruption.
But Postecoglou added: "If that's your only hope, waiting for the top ones to slip [up], I just don't think you get there. I'd rather them be at their best and we match them, get up to their level and exceed it. Rather than hope they slip up. I just don't think that's a strategy. It is more of a wish."

read more here: https://theathletic.com/5247076/2024/02/02/tottenham-transfers-ange-postecoglou/

The timing is interesting, after as suspected we hear that Man City were working hard in this window to poach two of our U-18's to their academy.....

Ange Postecoglou wants Tottenham to become premier destination for talented youngsters​

By Jack Pitt-Brooke
Feb 2, 2024

Ange Postecoglou hopes that Tottenham Hotspur will become a preferred destination for football’s best young players.
Spurs signed Lucas Bergvall from Djurgarden last night, with the Swedish teenager picking the Premier League side over Barcelona. Earlier in the window, Romanian centre-back Radu Dragusin turned down a bigger salary at Bayern Munich to come to Postecoglou’s side.

“It’s what people are seeing,” Postecoglou said. “You can try to sell a vision to someone, but if there’s tangible physical evidence of it… Anyone who has watched us since I’ve joined will have seen the aspirations we have to be the kind of team we want to be.
“That’s not just me saying it, we’re actually doing it. OK, we’re not the finished product by any stretch. But we’re giving young players an opportunity. Destiny, Pape and Micky, all guys in their early 20s who have already played significant roles.

“We’re building a team. From our perspective, it’s pleasing and hopefully we become a club which is a preferred destination for talented young players. There aren’t too many hidden gems around — everyone knows who the talents are. Hopefully our point of difference, I’ve always felt your football is your biggest selling point, beyond anything else. Hopefully we’re showing evidence of that which is helping us.”

Dragusin arrived at the start of the January window in a £25.8m deal that also saw Djed Spence join Genoa on loan for the rest of the season. The Romania international has made two substitute appearances in the Premier Leauge so far. Bergvall, who turned 18 today, will not join up until the summer, but Tottenham have now agreed a fixed fee approaching €10million (£8.5m, $10.9m) plus add-ons for him to join.
But Postecoglou warned that Tottenham also have “a lot of work to do” on their academy and hailed the work of Simon Davies, who replaced Dean Rastrick as academy director last summer.

“I think we’ve got a lot of work to do in our academy and Simon Davies is certainly one that is putting a lot of emphasis and priority there,” he said. “I don’t think we have the production line other top clubs have, certainly not.

“Even currently that’s why we’re investing in some younger players, even for the first team. For us as a football club that’s definitely the way forward.
“We’ve still got a lot of work to do at academy level. We’ve got a great man there in Simon who has worked at some of best academies going and he knows what’s needed.
“We’ve got some good coaches in there now. This year has been better but in terms of a production line of young players I think we’re still well behind other clubs.”

Teams are starting to figure us out. I don't think we have the technical players to pull off what he wants.

I like Ange but adapt or perish.

There's not a team in the world that has the technical players to play Ange ball in our own third. We try to play our way out of the tightest spaces, lose the ball and then try to buy the foul or commit the foul. We even have a number 9 now that can make good a longer ball.

Teams are starting to figure us out. I don't think we have the technical players to pull off what he wants.

I like Ange but adapt or perish.
I've said it before, this is the toughest league in the world for good reason. If you remain rooted to your convictions (as admirable as they are) you'll be found out, much like Mourinho & Conte before him. If he doesn't sort it he'll be collecting his P45 much sooner than i thought.