👨🏼‍💼 Ange Postecoglou - Manager Thread | Page 62 | Vital Football

👨🏼‍💼 Ange Postecoglou - Manager Thread

The problem is frustration, and it's set to get worse.

Our improvement under Ange has been clear, especially in light of the desperate season we endured in 2022/23. We are a team who are entertaining to watch and, largely, have delivered when it comes to results. And yet, this is increasingly beginning to feel like a season of missed opportunities. Who is to blame for that? Circumstances, Ange, the players, or a combination of all?

With the chav's under Poch still something of a circus, Manchester United enduring a chaotic campaign and Newcastle United having gone backwards, three of our potential rivals for a UEFA Champions League spot effectively took themselves out of the running weeks ago. Unfortunately for Ange, the team have been unable to keep sufficient pace with their one remaining contender for fourth place: a terrific, but tiring, Aston Villa. The loss to Arsenal now means our chances of still having a great season have probably gone, now all we can hope is that we can cling on to get back into Europe - which is now not entirely certain at all.

With our Carabao Cup challenge lasting no longer than a brief flash, and our FA Cup hopes ended by Manchester City in January, we are yet again staring at another trophyless season in which Champions League qualification will also be beyond us. For all the positivity of Ange's first campaign in England, you can't help but feel frustrated and angry at us once again letting it all slip away.

That's why we're now getting the Angst against Ange - like many others, I felt the manner of our losing was avoidable and against our old enemy and all that goes with it, we are once again suffering barbs of 'Spursy' and St.Tooteringhams day all over again.

I can tell you, it wasn't the loss that so badly pissed me off, but the manner of how we handed it to them.
I'm not sure we are entertaining to watch.
Not as a Tottenham fan.
Or we've improved.
We've now got strikers who don't score.
Midfielders who cant pass or defend.
And a defence that can't cope with a set piece.
Our so called DNA under Ange is hope for the fcuking best and hope we score first - otherwise we are probably fcuked.
What's entertaining knowing that he'll get outclassed and outthought by a majority of the mangers who have a squad who are equal or better than ours?

Oh Boy.... Im not gonna spend the time to counter all the madness on display here. Some of you should def know better, and maybe go watch the match again. Without the blisters on your eyes.

Argue about the lineups if ya like, but after the first whistle, what happened was the epitome of stoopid, in all areas, from everyone involved, officials AND BOTH teams.

I found this to be (lengthy for sure), an apt desciption of that stupidity on the day....

I beleive you learn things as you test players in places and situations. Prolly time to try Cuti in the DCM spot, with MvDv & Dragu behind. Romero was astonishing yesterday. In a good way. Maybe.

I thought it was a fun game to watch. First half infuriating, second half interesting & exciting. An epic NLD in the most unusually expected manner.

8pts from out last 15 secures 5th, and methinks that'd be a good, and accurate, and solid finishing place in the first season of AngeBall.

COYS!

Almost every opinion on here is judge and jury.

OK. So I tried being thoughtful in my response and thought you might have understood my perspective which was nothing to do with football. My bad.

Let me be less subtle and get straight to the point.

You played the man, not the ball. You called me bias without making a single, logical argument within the context of the conversation.

You had a cheap shot at me. I won't accept that BS.

OK. So I tried being thoughtful in my response and thought you might have understood my perspective which was nothing to do with football. My bad.

Let me be less subtle and get straight to the point.

You played the man, not the ball. You called me bias without making a single, logical argument within the context of the conversation.

You had a cheap shot at me. I won't accept that BS.

You’re correct. My apologies.

will he and his style last another season? - that is the million pound question ... maybe it won't ... even the U21 fringe squad against a good Palace side couldnt play the Ange ball system and were totally caught out - very embarassing

The game against the Arse exposed our defensive weakness at set pieces and also a lack of maturity by the players. Either they're not following instructions properly, or the defensive training needs a complete overhaul. I also think Ange set us up wrong. Ben Davies should not have been in that team. Hojbjerg has been ok when coming off the bench against lesser teams to help shore up the midfield, but he shouldn't have started against the Arse. I'm not Ange out.......yet, but surely even he can see our problems during set pieces. From an attacking sense, I think his tactics would work if we had a decent front line. Werner for me isn't part of the solution. Son's standards have really dropped. If it comes out at the end of the season that he has been carrying an injury I'll be really pissed off. As mentioned in previous posts, he doesn't play well when teams sit back and there's no space for him to run through on goal. I would have benched him for this game and played BJ, Richi and Kulu up front. Madders needs to stop diving whenever someone breathes on him, he's starting to frustrate me.
I still think Ange should be given the next 2 transfer windows to make things right, but if we keep on making the same dumbass mistakes every game then the question has to be asked.

Interesting interview by one of Ange's former players on the defensive aspect of Ange's game, particularly set pieces..

Speaking on The Optus Sport Football Podcast, former Socceroo Tommy Oar detailed how Postecoglou would have reacted behind closed doors having worked under him at club and international level.

“He was never one to talk straight after the game. Actually, that was one thing I remember about him,” Oar said.

“He was always one to kind of let the emotions kind of simmer down and he'd always talk the next day after he's kind of had a look at the game and maybe taking a step back.

“But I think that he'll be letting all the players know in no uncertain terms where mistakes were made and who was accountable.

“I think we're starting to see a lot of the same mistakes happen in some of the games, which I'm sure will be frustrating him immensely.

“So I think that he'll probably be telling the players, you know, if you don't start to learn these lessons and improve in the upcoming games, I'm going to have to put other players in that will and I think that that's kind of one part of it.

“I think that he will come down quite hard on the side here. But the other side of it is they've got another game, two big games against Chelsea and Liverpool coming up and you can't really dwell on it too long.

“So I think he'll be quick to put the hammer down, but I think the follow on from that or from that meeting or that session will be looking forward and moving on. So I think that's kind of how he'll navigate that.”

Defending set-pieces have become a real issue for Spurs this season with Arsenal clearly making that a focus against them.

Postecoglou has resisted hiring a specific set-piece coach and Oar stressed he isn't a manager to overlook the importance of them.

"I know that Ange puts a lot of attention on set-pieces and I remember there being 20 kind of sheets of paper before you went onto the field in the change room and you had to remember your role in every kind of situation," he said.

"I think the thing that would be frustrating him is that the players aren't following those instructions because I have no doubt that they're spending a lot of time working on them and that every player knows what they're supposed to be doing.

"But either the plan isn't working, whatever the roles that the players are being assigned isn't working or the players aren't understanding the roles.

"So actually the session before the game, there would be a pretty short and sharp session, but the last 45 minutes of the session would be set-pieces and you would walk through every single set-piece, corners from both sides, wide free-kicks, central free-kicks, and if there was any kind of questions or hesitation, you would keep repeating them until everybody was comfortable with the situation.

"So I would expect that Spurs would be doing the exact same thing right now. So the fact that it's still kind of an issue for them, I think is quite alarming. What the answer is, I'm not sure. I'm not privy to what their strategies are, but I think that Ange will be looking at that as a serious issue going forward."

Example of WTF set piece defending. 5 Arse players at the back post against 2 of our guys, and 6 of our players forming a semi-circle at the goal mouth, with no-one protecting Vicario. This zone defence crap needs to change to man-on-man marking.View attachment 72947
And look at our two centre backs, within a yard of each other miles away from the opposition players and covering very little area.

It would be interesting to see an equivalent photo of other teams at the top of the league. There is clearly a problem with our set piece setup. We did talk a lot last season about Romero's weakness on headers. We also knew that VDV (or Tapsoba) weren't dominant in the air when they were linked with us. I guess you can tweak the defensive tactics on set pieces. I don't see how you can bench either one of the centre halves though.

I believe Rob Burch is the GK coach. He clearly needs to help Venom become more physical in his approach.

Yes, you've totally miscued it. I am not biased and have no reason to be. I'm making objective arguments based on what I see with my own eyes.

In fact, don't ever call any of our posters biased. It is their right to express their opinions.

"Judge and jury" comments like above aren't appreciated 80.
Haha 80 can call me biased all he wants, do I give a Fcuk...NO! cos I am biased! simple as that lol!

Look we are lucky to be in top 5 in his first season...who knows what might have happened had we not imploded against Chelski at home with those rash and punished tackles..what the fcuk could Ange have done about that eh! The boy has done good IMO....I .will judge him next season not his first one.
Hey Greavsie another great post there mate, wiv you 100% COYS

Oh Boy.... Im not gonna spend the time to counter all the madness on display here. Some of you should def know better, and maybe go watch the match again. Without the blisters on your eyes.

Argue about the lineups if ya like, but after the first whistle, what happened was the epitome of stoopid, in all areas, from everyone involved, officials AND BOTH teams.

I found this to be (lengthy for sure), an apt desciption of that stupidity on the day....

I beleive you learn things as you test players in places and situations. Prolly time to try Cuti in the DCM spot, with MvDv & Dragu behind. Romero was astonishing yesterday. In a good way. Maybe.

I thought it was a fun game to watch. First half infuriating, second half interesting & exciting. An epic NLD in the most unusually expected manner.

8pts from out last 15 secures 5th, and methinks that'd be a good, and accurate, and solid finishing place in the first season of AngeBall.

COYS!

Well said XV, I have the same feelings regards the NLD, ups n downs, watching it a 2nd time, wiv out Spurs white glasses, really did open my eye's, like I said on the match thread...WE WUZ ROBBED..Ref, VAR, our own luck, poor defending/finishing/selections.

All above is simple and can be rectified, just watch us go next season.

Angie's 2nd season + TWS for him to get more of what he wants, including him getting rid of the unwanted in his squad.

But in the end though we lost to that lot down the road I enjoyed it. COYS

Example of WTF set piece defending. 5 Arse players at the back post against 2 of our guys, and 6 of our players forming a semi-circle at the goal mouth, with no-one protecting Vicario. This zone defence crap needs to change to man-on-man marking.View attachment 72947
S82 (y)

Zonal marking total shite (n) opposition players always have the advantage, get back to man for man marking in the box...simples really.

Oh and our Venom has to man up and try to control the 6 yard box.

The game against the Arse exposed our defensive weakness at set pieces and also a lack of maturity by the players. Either they're not following instructions properly, or the defensive training needs a complete overhaul. I also think Ange set us up wrong. Ben Davies should not have been in that team. Hojbjerg has been ok when coming off the bench against lesser teams to help shore up the midfield, but he shouldn't have started against the Arse. I'm not Ange out.......yet, but surely even he can see our problems during set pieces. From an attacking sense, I think his tactics would work if we had a decent front line. Werner for me isn't part of the solution. Son's standards have really dropped. If it comes out at the end of the season that he has been carrying an injury I'll be really pissed off. As mentioned in previous posts, he doesn't play well when teams sit back and there's no space for him to run through on goal. I would have benched him for this game and played BJ, Richi and Kulu up front. Madders needs to stop diving whenever someone breathes on him, he's starting to frustrate me.
I still think Ange should be given the next 2 transfer windows to make things right, but if we keep on making the same dumbass mistakes every game then the question has to be asked.

Interesting interview by one of Ange's former players on the defensive aspect of Ange's game, particularly set pieces..

Speaking on The Optus Sport Football Podcast, former Socceroo Tommy Oar detailed how Postecoglou would have reacted behind closed doors having worked under him at club and international level.

“He was never one to talk straight after the game. Actually, that was one thing I remember about him,” Oar said.

“He was always one to kind of let the emotions kind of simmer down and he'd always talk the next day after he's kind of had a look at the game and maybe taking a step back.

“But I think that he'll be letting all the players know in no uncertain terms where mistakes were made and who was accountable.

“I think we're starting to see a lot of the same mistakes happen in some of the games, which I'm sure will be frustrating him immensely.

“So I think that he'll probably be telling the players, you know, if you don't start to learn these lessons and improve in the upcoming games, I'm going to have to put other players in that will and I think that that's kind of one part of it.

“I think that he will come down quite hard on the side here. But the other side of it is they've got another game, two big games against Chelsea and Liverpool coming up and you can't really dwell on it too long.

“So I think he'll be quick to put the hammer down, but I think the follow on from that or from that meeting or that session will be looking forward and moving on. So I think that's kind of how he'll navigate that.”

Defending set-pieces have become a real issue for Spurs this season with Arsenal clearly making that a focus against them.

Postecoglou has resisted hiring a specific set-piece coach and Oar stressed he isn't a manager to overlook the importance of them.

"I know that Ange puts a lot of attention on set-pieces and I remember there being 20 kind of sheets of paper before you went onto the field in the change room and you had to remember your role in every kind of situation," he said.

"I think the thing that would be frustrating him is that the players aren't following those instructions because I have no doubt that they're spending a lot of time working on them and that every player knows what they're supposed to be doing.

"But either the plan isn't working, whatever the roles that the players are being assigned isn't working or the players aren't understanding the roles.

"So actually the session before the game, there would be a pretty short and sharp session, but the last 45 minutes of the session would be set-pieces and you would walk through every single set-piece, corners from both sides, wide free-kicks, central free-kicks, and if there was any kind of questions or hesitation, you would keep repeating them until everybody was comfortable with the situation.

"So I would expect that Spurs would be doing the exact same thing right now. So the fact that it's still kind of an issue for them, I think is quite alarming. What the answer is, I'm not sure. I'm not privy to what their strategies are, but I think that Ange will be looking at that as a serious issue going forward."
hmmm, I love the post, but one ex-player and one academy coach have privately told me we do almost jack-shit on dealing with set pieces on the training field and one analyst complained to me, no one is taking notice of what's being said.

So if he does put alot of attention into set pieces, why aren't we seeing the improvement - who in the defence isn't doing their job, who isn't leading and organising the way that teams should?

Afraid, these previous comments from ex-players are firmly at odds from what has been said publicly and in private.

A good reminder how success was achieved over the long term from the Guardian:

From Archie Knox to Mike Phelan: Sir Alex Ferguson's seven lieutenants​

This article is more than 10 years old
Sir Alex Ferguson's progression as a manager can be narrated by the men he selected to assist him throughout his career

Dominic Fifield

Dominic Fifield
Wed 8 May 2013 18.00 BST

Archie Knox 1986-91

The Scot had accompanied Ferguson to Old Trafford from Aberdeen and would be his close confidant and, initially, his house-mate in Timperley. "A two-bedroom semi in a housing scheme," he recalled recently. "We went through the door, Alex dived up the stairs and got the best room, and that was it." Knox spent four-and-a-half years with Ferguson and played his part in changing the culture at The Cliff, whether that was shutting down the drinking schools or choking the dressing-room leaks. The pair won the FA Cup in 1990 then, a week before the European Cup-Winners' Cup final against Barcelona, Knox moved to Rangers. Their financial offer was more than United were prepared to meet. There have been spells as assistant at seven other clubs since, as well as with the national team, and the 65-year-old is now back at Aberdeen.

Brian Kidd 1991-98

Kidd had played 203 games for United in a seven-year spell that ended in 1974 before returning to the club as youth development officer in 1988. His promotion to assistant manager coincided with the first wave of success enjoyed by Ferguson at Old Trafford, with the 1992 League Cup followed by a first league title in 26 years in 1993, two league and cup doubles in 1994 and 1996, and another title a year later. Kidd was instrumental in the development of the golden generation of Ryan Giggs, David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and the Neville brothers, but his departure to manage Blackburn infuriated the man Kidd still refers to as "The Boss". Ferguson lacerated him in his autobiography. "But I will always appreciate what he's done for me," said Kidd, now 63 and on the coaching staff at Manchester City after spells with Leeds, Sheffield United, Portsmouth and England. "You can't buy those wonderful memories."

Steve McClaren 1999-2001

McClaren became the youth and reserve team coach at Oxford upon retiring from playing before, three years later, joining Jim Smith at Derby as assistant. He arrived at Old Trafford during the treble-winning season of 1998-99 and brought with him an almost academic element to coaching, including elements such as video analysis and sports psychology. He was a student of the game, picking up techniques from foreign clubs, and arguably even refreshed Ferguson. His spell at the club brought almost unbridled success, with three successive titles, before he departed, with the manager's blessing, to take up the reins at Middlesbrough. His subsequent time with England damaged his reputation, and there have been two spells with FC Twente in Dutch football, but McClaren remains one of Ferguson's most successful assistants.

Jimmy Ryan 2001-02

Ryan's coaching career at Old Trafford now extends to 22 years after initially returning to the club, for whom he had played 27 times, in 1991 as reserve team coach. His season-long spell as Ferguson's assistant was unsettled by the manager's plan to retire – he would change his mind – and the appointment of Ryan, while an experienced right-hand man, was not entirely embraced by the players. He subsequently reverted to reserve team duties and is currently director of youth football at the academy.

Carlos Queiroz 2002-03 & 2004-08

The Portuguese has enjoyed two spells as Ferguson's No2, his nomadic career having taken him from the United States to United Arab Emirates, Japan to South Africa, before he arrived as assistant in 2002. He brought with him a reputation for developing young talent and a range of international contacts: his influence has been cited in the signing of players such as Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani, while his tactical nous added a new dimension to Ferguson's approach. A brief and unsuccessful spell at Real Madrid interrupted his time at Old Trafford, but his second spell yielded two titles and the Champions League. Some railed at his perceived cautious approach to the game, with Roy Keane a critic, but the 60-year-old was so respected by Ferguson that he was once considered a potential successor. There was a spell in charge of Portugal that ended in 2010, and a six-month suspension for disrupting an anti-doping test ahead of the 2010 World Cup which was later annulled by the court of arbitration for sport, with Queiroz now coaching the Iranian national team.

Walter Smith 2004

Smith, who managed Rangers, Everton and Scotland in a 23-year coaching career, had travelled to the 1986 World Cup finals in Mexico as Ferguson's assistant and enjoyed a brief spell as his No2 in 2004, relieving some of the burden on the manager. His appointment was only ever considered short-term, but he did see the team win the FA Cup final.

Mike Phelan 2008-13

Phelan had been signed as a player by Ferguson and featured 146 times for United in a five-year spell at the club. His early coaching career was spent alongside Gary Megson at Norwich, Blackpool and Stockport before he took up a position at United's centre of excellence, rising first to reserve team manager and then first-team coach when McClaren left for Middlesbrough back in 2001. He succeeded Queiroz in 2008 and, for many years, Phelan was the manager's mouthpiece on television while Ferguson refused to talk to the BBC.

Just caught up on the thread.

One thing I saw that intrigued me was that in Ange's first season at Celtic they conceded the most set piece goals in the league. In his 2nd season the least.

We've obviously been poor at set pieces, and our set up is bad... As others have pointed out Romero and VDV are traditionally not great in aerial duels, Romero has improved in that department a lot this season... but throw in the fact Kane used to clear a huge proportion of our defensive set pieces and the trend isn't just around tactics but personnel.

Ange full quote on the set pieces from Arsenal game:

ange.png

Reality is ref gives the Kulu pen it's a different result for me. We limited their chances aside from the set piece weakness and missed some good ones ourselves. Despite their 3-0 lead it was a half of fine margins, and we were better in the 2nd half. Against a side who are miles ahead of us in their project.