👨🏼‍💼 Ange Postecoglou - Manager Thread | Page 49 | Vital Football

👨🏼‍💼 Ange Postecoglou - Manager Thread

From day 1, when I spent sometime posting on his tactical play, I said this was just as likely to result in attractive football with us scoring more than the opposition or we'd come undone in some games if we didn't adapt..

As his system if play is played by better players and or players who have adapted better, I think we'll see less bad surprises. But only time will tell.

But I still see no reason to doubt that his approach isn't yet a winning one.

Next season and after the summer business, I'd bet our future will look much clearer.
I want to have your confidence in him.....But for now mine is just hope.

I still think we all need to get a grip a little bit here. If we win our next game, we're 4th and above Villa on GD. It's not a disaster, we're still growing and learning with a talented group of youngsters.

We've gotten rid of most of the deadwood, brought in some incredible prospects and played some smashing football this year. What else did we expect?

I'm excited for the summer transfer window, that's for sure.

I still think we all need to get a grip a little bit here. If we win our next game, we're 4th and above Villa on GD. It's not a disaster, we're still growing and learning with a talented group of youngsters.

We've gotten rid of most of the deadwood, brought in some incredible prospects and played some smashing football this year. What else did we expect?

I'm excited for the summer transfer window, that's for sure.

I agree, I'm still well behind him.

Most on here predicted a top 6 finish (at best) with some decent football played and we will be happy. He's done exactly that. The cup exits have been a disappointment but I'm sure he learns more next season.

If next season it's the same, having spent another £100m, then we have every right to question him.

CL football is still looking likely for us.

I am certainly not one who thinks Ange's job is on the line; that would be ridiculous with what he has achieved so far. But it cannot absolve him from criticism if he lets this position slip with what he now has at his disposal. One would hope that his singular focus or lessons learned, will pay off next season and he most certainly must be given the chance to see it through.
Agreed 100% - End of next season is an appropriate time to make a more measured assessment. Bad displays/off days happen up and down the table, so although thoroughly pissed off after the Fulham game, we have to accept these results happen at least once or twice a season. It's what happens next that matters most.

Honestly I am all for attacking football....when intelligence is applied.

Couple critical things that we are not figuring out:

Our WBs are so damn forward all the time...teams have easily discovered that "hey just send it out wide to the wide ass open space" and then run free until you are able to get a quality cross in or take on our sorely pressed CBs. This is why it only took Fulham 2-3 easy passes to threaten us over and over and over gain. Simply football....taking advantage of a glaring weakness that we did nothing to prevent, all game long.

Our midfield simply doesn't exist...and honestly I don't think we really employ a DM at all. Madds is rightfully farther forwards attacking....but Biss and Sarr...both look like they are attacking as well. We literally have no midfield screen to slow an attack down when we lose the ball...and we ALWAYS lose the ball.

You couple the above with the fact that when pressured a little bit...we are very susceptible to turning the ball over quickly....and you have a recipe for disaster.

This tactic may work in other leagues...but the EPL is different animal...most teams can and will exploit our stupidity ruthlessly.

May 19th 5-53pm.
Spurs are 2-0 up at Sheffield United & currently sitting in 4th place by one goal on GD. All other games finished so we have just got to hold onto the two goal lead. Five mins left of ET, if we concede a goal we finish 5th. If we draw we finish 6th & if we lose we finish 7th.
Here's my concern, I have zero confidence that Ange wouldn't still expect everyone to attack, leave a big hole in midfield, leave our back four exposed to thru/long balls & cost us 4th or worse.

I just want better game management from the guy. I want him to know how the opposition are going to play & set up accordingly - especially in big games. It doesn't mean (and I don't want it to) we can't have front foot football. It just means I want him to know it's a strength, not a weakness to be able to suss your opponent. Let's face it everyone does it to us.

Sunday March 10th, Villa vs Spurs

Spurs are up 2-0 60 minutes into the game, a game that matters a lot for that 4th place spot, Spurs are behind in GD but no matter, our best defender has left the game. Subs are made and we score 2 more goals to eliminate Villa's GD advantage and have a game in hand.

The difference between the Sheffield and Villa post?

One's real, one hasn't happened.

Last edited:
Sunday March 10th, Villa vs Spurs

Spurs are up 2-0 60 minutes into the game, a game that matters a lot for that 4th place spot, Spurs are behind in GD but no matter, our best defender has left the game. Subs are made and we score 2 more goals to eliminate Villa's GD advantage and have a game in hand.

The difference between the Sheffield and Villa post?

One's real, one hasn't happened.
Hopefully it won't happen either....my point tho, is I don't have the confidence that if we were in that position...it wouldn't happen.

As always, in a system that relies on a rapid interchange of players in key positions during a game to cover the defensive spaces, and one key player missing undermines the system - that is a given. It's the 101 of a high press /basic weakness of this type of play

The real problem was Dragu who has never ever played in a high line high press system until now, just wasn't good enough, all three goals you could say were in part his fault.

Romero, as we already know, looks muted on his own, that said, he did his part well and looked solid and was probably the one player on the pitch who maintained his composure and standard when others failed to play to their normal level.

You could almost feel Ange's dilemma as Dragu showed his football intelligence of this system to be wanting - should he undermine his confidence and hook him off, leave him on and hope he played his way into the game, play more defensively and try and limit the damage?

Dragu has a less that spectacular start, and so I don't want to be too hard on him, as it's early days, but he really did have a baptism of fire. Fulham knew exactly what to do with him and it worked.

He'll learn from this and if VDV is now going to be out longer than first expected, he'll need to learn fast as he will be targetted by all opposing coaches target from now on.

I don't see the result or what led to this poor performance as being an excuse to beat up on Ange, as I said, to me in this case, he was damned if he did and damned if he didn't - this is all and was another step in his and the teams learning curve.

A deeper squad (which is coming) and these surprise results will be less and less surprising as the squad progresses.
I get that but there were much more concerning matters in the middle of the park. We were in disarray for the most part with no bite whatsoever. It didn't help us one jot that we couldn't control the ball for toffee either. Factor in Son & Kulusevski who both had a mare, we were extremely lucky in the end that it was only the three.

I get that but there were much more concerning matters in the middle of the park. We were in disarray for the most part with no bite whatsoever. It didn't help us one jot that we couldn't control the ball for toffee either. Factor in Son & Kulusevski who both had a mare, we were extremely lucky in the end that it was only the three.

If there’s a repeat I’d worry.

Honestly I am all for attacking football....when intelligence is applied.

Couple critical things that we are not figuring out:

Our WBs are so damn forward all the time...teams have easily discovered that "hey just send it out wide to the wide ass open space" and then run free until you are able to get a quality cross in or take on our sorely pressed CBs. This is why it only took Fulham 2-3 easy passes to threaten us over and over and over gain. Simply football....taking advantage of a glaring weakness that we did nothing to prevent, all game long.

Our midfield simply doesn't exist...and honestly I don't think we really employ a DM at all. Madds is rightfully farther forwards attacking....but Biss and Sarr...both look like they are attacking as well. We literally have no midfield screen to slow an attack down when we lose the ball...and we ALWAYS lose the ball.

You couple the above with the fact that when pressured a little bit...we are very susceptible to turning the ball over quickly....and you have a recipe for disaster.

This tactic may work in other leagues...but the EPL is different animal...most teams can and will exploit our stupidity ruthlessly.
Do you think we are knocking on 4th through sheer luck and our incredibly talented team, or do you think that there's a possibility Ange might know what he's doing?

Not being argumentative, just curious

Do you think we are knocking on 4th through sheer luck and our incredibly talented team, or do you think that there's a possibility Ange might know what he's doing?

Not being argumentative, just curious

All good, not taking it as argumentative at all!

I think we are in our current position largely because the league was not ready for us and how quickly AP would get us to be playing this way. (I mean you have to admit it took most of us by complete surprise as well coming from where we were last season...) We took advantage of this and started like gangbusters and took a lot of teams by surprise.

Now there is tape on us...and now teams are gameplanning for us and AP has struggled to find ways to adapt.

On the flip side...I also think we have benefited from the fact that outside the top 3....there are a lot of teams vying for the next 3-4-6 spots....so kind of keeping us close by a lot of teams beating up on eachother.

So I think we are slowly settling to where we a more natural table position is...

So...hard to call it luck...and I won't say 'incredibly talented' because I don't think we are that either...and I do know AP is a talented coach...stubborn as a damn mule but talented!

All good, not taking it as argumentative at all!

I think we are in our current position largely because the league was not ready for us and how quickly AP would get us to be playing this way. (I mean you have to admit it took most of us by complete surprise as well coming from where we were last season...) We took advantage of this and started like gangbusters and took a lot of teams by surprise.

Now there is tape on us...and now teams are gameplanning for us and AP has struggled to find ways to adapt.

On the flip side...I also think we have benefited from the fact that outside the top 3....there are a lot of teams vying for the next 3-4-6 spots....so kind of keeping us close by a lot of teams beating up on eachother.

So I think we are slowly settling to where we a more natural table position is...

So...hard to call it luck...and I won't say 'incredibly talented' because I don't think we are that either...and I do know AP is a talented coach...stubborn as a damn mule but talented!
All very good points, and I think the 'new manager buzz' can play a big part of it, BUT I personally think that we're looking at this all too much through the eyes of Maureen and Cunte.

We want success NOW, but at what cost? Do we want a foundation of exciting football, with a young exciting squad and a manager who actually talks sense for once? Not riddles, not clichés, but a human being who actually has a bit of fucking sense that resonates with the fanbase of Spurs?

I do know that we can't keep flip flopping managers every 6 months and expecting to build a legacy. Klopp, Arteta and Pep all took time to refine their tactics. Ffs, Ange is AHEAD of where Klopp and Arteta were at this stage in their journeys with Arse and Liverpiss!

I think we need to stop thinking from game to game and look at the big picture here. We're going in the right direction, we just need to enjoy it because a future of Cunte type football could be a reality again one day...

None of this has anything to do with whether i have confidence in him. He's let the ball drop by being shown a clean pair of heels by a number of PL coaches already. I don't believe he can deliver winning football without a solid foundation & at the moment ours is floundering.

None of this has anything to do with whether i have confidence in him. He's let the ball drop by being shown a clean pair of heels by a number of PL coaches already. I don't believe he can deliver winning football without a solid foundation & at the moment ours is floundering.
And yet he's still managed to get us to within touching distance of the Champions league despite having no squad for half of the season...!

And yet he's still managed to get us to within touching distance of the Champions league despite having no squad for half of the season...!
We've been there many times before though. In fact we were there only 2 seasons ago & we did it with a depleted squad compared to the squad he has at his disposal now. A full strength squad playing only one match per week.

I believe in building a squad on a solid foundation. How's that working out for us at the moment?

We've been there many times before though. In fact we were there only 2 seasons ago & we did it with a depleted squad compared to the squad he has at his disposal now. A full strength squad playing only one match per week.

I believe in building a squad on a solid foundation. How's that working out for us at the moment?

Quite well given the average age of our quad.