👨🏼‍💼 Ange Postecoglou - Manager Thread | Page 33 | Vital Football

👨🏼‍💼 Ange Postecoglou - Manager Thread

Not convinced, never have been.

A likeable guy with a novel approach of how to play the beautiful game. Problem is he's been found out already & is either unable or unwilling to change. The signs are not good at present.

We're a team that now loses well. It was entirely predictable that this would start happening using the players he now has available to play his system. It's exactly as I said it was likely to be, Smart coaches know how to counter us if we don't go 2/3 ahead when we dominate.

Clearly, he's a stubborn man, who has encountered some of the worst injuries in our history, but as he has said himself, he doesn't just want to play stylish entertaining football, he wants to play winning football. He's put it down to a lack of confidence/belief; as I've said again and again, I'll put it down to not having the players available to play as he wants us to.

I'm seriously cross about Richarlison. Although it's not his fault he’s useless, but if we had a proper goalscorer in his place things would be a lot different.

If he had got that header the right side of the post last night, we’d possibly have won that game. It was a golden chance.

He’s not even a game changing sub, let alone a good, reliable striker. He has to go in Jan.

Gutted with that result. But it's not shaken my belief in his approach, but it has shaken my belief in his once again stubbornness in his tactical approach, both upfront and in defence.

Lots of bowed heads and FFS's at the game last night as we all realised that this result was once again inevitable. To my shame, I shared my bet with 80 last night (we message each other still) I bet on Spam winning 2-1. I was hoping that would make sure it wouldn't happen.

Ange should realise by now, he has to modify his approach, we are not Celtic in a pub league, until we have some new additions, a few gone and our injured back. If he doesn't, as I said before our non-winning run could easily run to 7/8/9 games.

I hope Levy has the guts to be patient and take the hits we're going to suffer (unless Ange can be more tactically astute with what he's got for now), even if Ange starts losing some sections of our support.

But with Levy, if the faithful get restless, anything could happen.

Last edited:
I'm still pro Ange, we all know the injuries are a big part of the problem but like you say he has to have a plan B.

Same thing has happened again and again. We looked done after half time last night and could have played all night without scoring.

It's not all his fault as the players are being wasteful but we need to mix it up when it ain't working.

He deserves 2 seasons minimum IMO. This season a top 6 finish is acceptable, next season he needs to be in the top 4. Simple.

Unless we buy exceptionally well, as of now, I think top 6 is a pipe dream. we all might as well accept that now, Ange isn't going to adapt, it's an article of faith with him.

Last edited:
I'm still pro Ange, we all know the injuries are a big part of the problem but like you say he has to have a plan B.

Same thing has happened again and again. We looked done after half time last night and could have played all night without scoring.

It's not all his fault as the players are being wasteful but we need to mix it up when it ain't working.

He deserves 2 seasons minimum IMO. This season a top 6 finish is acceptable, next season he needs to be in the top 4. Simple.
There is something there but without sounding like a broken record he has to be willing to change tack when the need arises. To state that he would still give it a crack with only 5 men was probably the daftest thing i've heard since Sir Alex was asked which Barca star he'd like to see at Utd.

There is something there but without sounding like a broken record he has to be willing to change tack when the need arises. To state that he would still give it a crack with only 5 men was probably the daftest thing i've heard since Sir Alex was asked which Barca star he'd like to see at Utd.

As I said, it's an article of faith in his approach, I dislike it for no other reason, every coach he comes up against now, will know beyond a shadow of a doubt what he is and isn't going to do at every stage in a game. So half their job is done as he is entirely predictable.

We're a team that now loses well. It was entirely predictable that this would start happening using the players he now has available to play his system. It's exactly as I said it was likely to be, Smart coaches know how to counter us if we don't go 2/3 ahead when we dominate.

Clearly, he's a stubborn man, who has encountered some of the worst injuries in our history, but as he has said himself, he doesn't just want to play stylish entertaining football, he wants to play winning football. He's put it down to a lack of confidence/belief; as I've said again and again, I'll put it down to not having the players available to play as he wants us to.

I'm seriously cross about Richarlison. Although it's not his fault he’s useless, but if we had a proper goalscorer in his place things would be a lot different.

If he had got that header the right side of the post last night, we’d possibly have won that game. It was a golden chance.

He’s not even a game changing sub, let alone a good, reliable striker. He has to go in Jan.

Gutted with that result. But it's not shaken my belief in his approach, but it has shaken my belief in his once again stubbornness in his tactical approach, both upfront and in defence.

Lots of bowed heads and FFS's at the game last night as we all realised that this result was once again inevitable. To my shame, I shared my bet with 80 last night (we message each other still) I bet on Spam winning 2-1. I was hoping that would make sure it wouldn't happen.

Ange should realise by now, he has to modify his approach, we are not Celtic in a pub league, until we have some new additions, a few gone and our injured back. If he doesn't, as I said before our non-winning run could easily run to 7/8/9 games.

I hope Levy has the guts to be patient and take the hits we're going to suffer (unless Ange can be more tactically astute with what he's got for now), even if Ange starts losing some sections of our support.

We're a team that can't sustain the full press for 90 mins. Other than City who else can?

This notion that we can play to that level for prolonged periods is fanciful at best. He needs to adapt or we'll be looking for another coach this side of xmas.

As I said, it's an article of faith in his approach, I dislike it for no other reason, every coach he comes up against now, will know beyond a shadow of a doubt what he is and isn't going to do at every stage in a game. So half their job is done as he is entirely predictable.
This is an issue spurs have made for themselves

Levy set his stall "we've got our Tottenham back" which means he's happy to lose if we do it well

This season was always going to be rollercoaster

We haven't got the squad, that's on levy

Levy set his stall "we've got our Tottenham back" which means he's happy to lose if we do it well

Not really. Ange was backed well over the summer. If anything the reality of so many injuries has brought it all home once again, that in order to play as we do ie a full high press, it's not practical unless you have an unlimited flow of funds like City do. This is on Ange i'm afraid.

So a couple of points here.

Ange doesn't play "winning" football......yet. He still has to prove that to all of us that he can. His teams definitely play attractive football though.

That game was easily won last night if his wide players fed his forwards. There is no point even putting a 9 like Richi on if players like Kulu lose every best moment to cross the ball. Same with Johnson who turned down cross after cross. Same with Udogie and Davies in the left channel supporting Johnson. Mostly the same with Porro and Romero in the right channel, but Kulu was the biggest culprit. It was only going a goal down that changed some of the thinking.

Richi isn't our answer and should be moved on, but he must not be the scapegoat for last night either. He was a victim of some really poor channel play. You could have been the best forward in the world. You weren't getting fed from our wide players on their weaker feet, passing up opportunity after opportunity to get the damn ball into the dangerous area. It's Poch deja vu unfortunately.

What Ange needs to learn fast is that he's not in Scotland anymore. You cannot wait for clear cut chances to cross as you'll be waiting a very long time. These defenders and defensive units are a different level. That's why the best teams get the ball in the dangerous areas regardless of how the defence is set. Poch unfortunately never learnt that and got obsessed with keep-ball. I'm hoping Ange does learn the difference, just like his peers at the top of that league.

Ange is still the man for me though. The second goal never happens if we have an Ange defender rather than Davies. VDV would have just moved left and made himself available for an easy pass. He would have carried it to the LB area and then found a Spurs shirt. Davies stood there like a statue.

When Ange gets a full compliment of his own players, that's the time to really judge him. All we can hope in the mean time is that he loses some of the visible stubbornness and optimises better what he has to work with.

Ange doesn't play "winning" football......yet. He still has to prove that to all of us that he can. His teams definitely play attractive football though.

That game was easily won last night if his wide players fed his forwards. There is no point even putting a 9 like Richi on if players like Kulu lose every best moment to cross the ball. Same with Johnson who turned down cross after cross. Same with Udogie and Davies in the left channel supporting Johnson. Mostly the same with Porro and Romero in the right channel, but Kulu was the biggest culprit. It was only going a goal down that changed some of the thinking.

Richi isn't our answer and should be moved on, but he must not be the scapegoat for last night either. He was a victim of some really poor channel play. You could have been the best forward in the world. You weren't getting fed from our wide players on their weaker feet, passing up opportunity after opportunity to get the damn ball into the dangerous area. It's Poch deja vu unfortunately.

What Ange needs to learn fast is that he's not in Scotland anymore. You cannot wait for clear cut chances to cross as you'll be waiting a very long time. These defenders and defensive units are a different level. That's why the best teams get the ball in the dangerous areas regardless of how the defence is set. Poch unfortunately never learnt that and got obsessed with keep-ball. I'm hoping Ange does learn the difference, just like his peers at the top of that league.

Ange is still the man for me though. The second goal never happens if we have an Ange defender rather than Davies. VDV would have just moved left and made himself available for an easy pass. He would have carried it to the LB area and then found a Spurs shirt. Davies stood there like a statue.

When Ange gets a full compliment of his own players, that's the time to really judge him. All we can hope in the mean time is that he loses some of the visible stubbornness and optimises better what he has to work with.
Great post, muttley.

Not really. Ange was backed well over the summer. If anything the reality of so many injuries has brought it all home once again, that in order to play as we do ie a full high press, it's not practical unless you have an unlimited flow of funds like City do. This is on Ange i'm afraid.

he wasn't backed well

We sold Kane 2 days before the start of the season and did the minimum of what was needed.

no we haven't, but continuing as we are is on Ange. I'm ok with it, but we all have to understand that this is what is going to happen until we have a deeper higher quality squad.

He has my total support, as I said we're going to be the most attractive losing side in the PL until we either adapt or get the players his style of play demands. I can see why we weren't crossing when Son was in the middle, but it didn't make an iota of sense when he wasn't. Either the players weren't told how to change when this happened, or they don't know what to do, either way, there are no excuses for our appalling wing play last night.

As you say; "
What Ange needs to learn fast is that he's not in Scotland anymore. You cannot wait for clear cut chances to cross as you'll be waiting a very long time. These defenders and defensive units are a different level. That's why the best teams get the ball in the dangerous areas regardless of how the defence is set. Poch unfortunately never learnt that and got obsessed with keep-ball. I'm hoping Ange does learn the difference, just like his peers at the top of that league."

As I repeat, let's hope we buy well come January.

Last edited:
he wasn't backed well

We sold Kane 2 days before the start of the season and did the minimum of what was needed.
We lost Kane but brought in Vicario, Madders & VdV. That's a pretty healthy return.

In any case the notion that Harry could be replaced isn't worth talking about. We can bang on who would be best suited for the role but let's not kid ourselves here, nobody's going to be anywhere near as prolific.

Solomon & Johnson were also brought in alongside Kulu who as far as i can see has done very little to warrant the £22m outlay.

We do need an out & out striker, Richi & Son have both disappointed. Who would you prefer in our current set up?

I've always sat on the fence where Postco is concerned, and certainly have never entered into all the hype and adulation that surrounded his first ten games with us. Certainly he was a surprising appointment, and he doesn't have a track record of any real consequence, but my attitude has always been that he should be given a season, at the end of which the Club, and only the Club, should be able to take stock of his performance, and at that stage decide whether they are prepared to invest further in the squad in support of him. or get rid of him, or take the view that he has shown enough to at least be given another season.

I retain that view, albeit it is difficult not to be influenced negatively when you are top of the table after ten games, and then watch it all go tits up. So far we have seen probably the best and worse of him, we've watched football at an entertainment level that Spurs fans had almost forgotten, which is a huge plus. On the negative side however there doesn't seem to be much flexibility in his approach, and I have an increasing concern that he is always too ready to blame his players, and not look at himself, when performances don't live up to expectations.

Time will tell whether he is a fair weather coach who only succeeds if no complications and difficulties present themselves.

no we haven't, but continuing as we are is on Ange. I'm ok with it, but we all have to understand that this is what is going to happen until we have a deeper higher quality squad.

Yes we have

Levy was smug in crowing after a few games at the fans forum

If we go defensive the reaction form the fan base will be ridiculous. Look at the wolves game.

We lost Kane but brought in Vicario, Madders & VdV. That's a pretty healthy return.

In any case the notion that Harry could be replaced isn't worth talking about. We can bang on who would be best suited for the role but let's not kid ourselves here, nobody's going to be anywhere near as prolific.

Solomon & Johnson were also brought in alongside Kulu who as far as i can see has done very little to warrant the £22m outlay.

We do need an out & out striker, Richi & Son have both disappointed. Who would you prefer in our current set up?
How many days before the season did we get vdv in?

Johnson was deadline day

Solomon was a club signing

The problem was always when someone got injured.

It's going to take a few windows, but he's been left short.

I think it's fair to say that our poor run of results coincided with our run of suspensions and injuries to critical players, I'm willing to wait until we have a full squad available again before passing judgement on Ange.

I think it's fair to say that our poor run of results coincided with our run of suspensions and injuries to critical players, I'm willing to wait until we have a full squad available again before passing judgement on Ange.

He is the man for us; but even he must realise this morning that he needs to adapt his approach, he can't keep blaming the players he has without making changes, that's just illogical, and worrying.

Regards Angie...I still trust him!

Lessons being learnt! him and players!

He has only been wiv us for 5mins.

It was said prior it was always going to be a bumpy ride, we are there! 1st bumps, suspensions n injuries, extortionate, not helping, the amount not really allowed for, but we will get there.

The Angie Out Brigade...why don't you give your thoughts after he has the squad he wants?