An Update From Liam Scully | Page 3 | Vital Football

An Update From Liam Scully

I read something on Twitter saying a number of the 617’s flags had been binned without the groups knowledge as well. these flags were supporter funded and paid for by the group and donations.

If true the club seem to be making a section of the fans unhappy at the moment.

I personally fully agree with the air raid siren, but binning the dambusters even For a short period and if true about the flags then I fear for where the club is heading.

I heard they are banning speaking English in the ground. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Banning the siren. Spot on. Banning the Dambusters March is a ridiculous over reaction, to pander to those that would make taking an offence to any and every thing an art form and their way of life. PR blunder I’m afraid. I’m actually very disappointed with the Club stance on this one. But, there are more pressing concerns at the moment. Long live the Dambusters. Long live Ukraine.

As long as I don't really mind that I think banning songs and sirens won't be a much help to anybody.
Maybe introducing some sort of charity donations collection for people escaping Ukraine and ask fans to participate in it would be a better way of HELPING than changing colors on twitter and Facebook profiles and suspending songs. Just thinking.
As for over 3k of season tickets sold so far I think it's a decent number but wonder what the total number after final window will be like. Hopefully close to the one from this season.

They are not the Dambusters now, they are the Rhur Valley Holligans!!!!!

Last edited:
I must be going deaf can’t remember the last time I heard it or last time supporters did it to be honest

A pertinent question might be why do you think the Club have previously been playing the Dambusters March
Is it to glorify war and the bombing of Germany and the many deaths that would have resulted from the raids?
Is it to salute the defence of innocent nation(s) against tyrants and war criminals and the magnificent efforts that were contributed by the brave soldiers and airmen from this county of which many of us are very proud?

If it is the former then why have the people running the club not banned it before?
If it is the latter then shouldn't it should be played with more pride than ever in times of conflict?

Either way a temporary ban seems to make no sense. Wars and conflicts are ongoing around the world

Personally hope we don’t go for a points-based system for away games.

Liam is absolutely spot on in his view that it’s difficult to define and rank loyalty.

The current system works just fine, and I don’t see the value of a “loyalty scheme” unless we are selling out for every away game.

I was nervous about getting tickets for 5 of us for Charlton this week, thinking there’d be no chance. With 3 sleeps to go, the tickets are still available on general sale.

We’re not ready for a points-based system - yet.
Not really sure of your point, in that example anyone who wants a ticket can get one and still would with a points system.

Have just written to Mr Scully giving him a piece of my mind. Is he man enough to come onto this forum and face the music (or whatever we're allowed to play any more)?

‘Person enough’ please - we’re all gender conscious here.

But yes, the CEO of a large multi million pound organisation should definitely come on this message board to explain himself. Who the fuck does he think he is!

Prepare the Stocks!

Have to rename the 617 to "The Co-op Choristers" or something, but I wouldn't make a song and dance about it.

Have to be honest and say that I've always been a bit uncomfortable with a group of fans giving themselves the name 617 Squadron. I hate political correctness, and there is no doubting the link between the squadron and our City. But as Clanford stated, the dams raid was an incredibly brave, self-sacrificial act by the air-crews, and many didn't return. I certainly couldn't/wouldn't dream of comparing myself to any of those men or their squadron. I wonder how anyone feels they can "award" themselves that honour, particularly since non of us have been faced with being conscripted to fight a war

Having said that, they are an asset to the Club with their cheering and supporting - its not them, just their self-given name that makes me uncomfortable. But then I'm a cynical (my description), grumpy (grandchildrens' description) old sod

The one thing I expected an update on but wasn't mentioned is the Stacey West Stand expansion, have I missed something or still quiet on this?