Accrington v Gills | Page 4 | Vital Football

Accrington v Gills

After 15 games so far, where it sounds like 13 of them we deserved something more than we got, it’s about time we capitalised with a lucky win.

Agree that’s 2 pretty tough away games and 4pts is not too shabby.

Well done the 250+ fans. And sounds like Evans “did a Warnock” at half time.

“250 fans out there getting p!ssed on and you lot are playing shite! FFS!”.

Funny how that video was put up here this week. I wonder if Steve took notice ?

UTG.

Last edited:
Whilst having three shots hit the post might be good luck (could Bonham have saved them if on target) certainly, disallowing goals for offside is the rule not luck.

Someone mentioned they thought Tucker hit the post early doors. According to the Gills twitter feed not only did Tucker hit the woodwork with a header, but Byrne followed it up and also hit the post with his effort. So 2 for us as well ?

Great result and a slice or two of luck going our way for a change.

That's good. By the laws of football managers' logic, once the luck is on your side you keep getting it - but when nothing goes your way, that's because bad luck always recurs once you're on a run of it.

Just seen a clip of RCC’s goal. That was a top quality finish and some top quality play in the lead up.

Also a clip of the Accy player stamping on O’Keefe(?). That was nasty and a straight red all day long. Apparently the ref just “had a word with him”. Gee, he must have missed what he actually did. Appalling.

Don't need to, when you see them together the team just looks a lot better.

It didn't yesterday. Yes RCC scored a good goal, but other than that it was a difficult watch for most of it. They do link up well sometimes but not sure the end product is there from either of them tbh.

As Nibbles says, maybe someone can get some stats to prove either way.

OK, it wasn`t a great performance by the Gills but the work rate was high and we were also unlucky not to score more than one goal. Accy had most of the possession and a neutral spectator would no doubt have reflected that Stanley deserved at least a draw. But, i`ve seen us play a lot worse away from home and come away with three points. We`re not terrific right now but we`re not as bad as some of the posts in this thread appear to suggest. Our back four and goalie were very good yesterday. A fit Pringle plus what`s-his-name from Man Utd and two forwards and we will be a pretty decent team. Right now were lower-mid-table, we should get better after the next "window".

Only if we spend some money on a striker!
Exactly. It's got to be done if we want to climb the table after Christmas. I reckon well send a couple of the loans back if we can. Njoli for a start. Flatters to deceive, and AJ only a back up kind of striker.

My mate and i (Gills fans from Edinburgh - long story!) are going to Accrington for this Saturday’s game.

I see from the forecast that it’s meant to be raining and from ASFC’s website that the away end is uncovered but away fans can use an area under a covered stand.

My question is; where will the Rainham End die-hards be?

Oh, and what boozer do we meet up in before game?

Cheers,
Steve

Don’t think we’ve heard back from you guys. Did you enjoy the game? Meet anyone on here in the boozer?

Yes i was there with my brother in the end that became Sainsbury's supermarket. We were in U5 L then Eager !

I was there too the day we beat MA'SCPFC as they were then known. One clear chance, but I remember the game more as a complete and utter surprise result rather than a smash and grab. Nothing worked for them. They started to lose heart, and we came into it a bit more -especially on the break as they put more people forward.

Don’t think we’ve heard back from you guys. Did you enjoy the game? Meet anyone on here in the boozer?

Met a few of the lads we’ve seen over the years around Priestfield at stadium plus a few others at the various pubs we ended up in. Return to Edinburgh that night fecked by flooding on the railway so crashed on mates couch in Chester of all places!

Not sure what next game we’ll be down at but I’m sure I stand oot a mile as wear shorts in the middle of winter and swear at the ref in a Scots accent (ok, SE does the latter too, but I’m a tad thinner than him) so say hi! We’ll be sure to try harder to put faces to names on here next time we’re at a match.

Until then, COYG!