A-Z Historical TV Series | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Historical TV Series

J Jamaica Inn - BBC tv ( 2014) series, based on the Daphne du Maurier novel of the same name. The story is set is in 1821, and based around a quiet coaching inn, which acts as a cover for various criminal activities.
I should have watched this but didn't and I'm not sure why.

Conisborough Castle is believed to have inspired the writing of the Ivanhoe stories, and I remember the tv shows too.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

K Kidnapped - BBC tv series (2005) which was based on the1886 Robert Louis Stevenson adventure novel. The story is set in 1751. (We read it in class at school). James Anthony Pearson played the main character, Davie Balfour. in the BBC version.

Last edited:
Conisborough Castle is believed to have inspired the writing of the Ivanhoe stories, and I remember the tv shows too.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

K Kidnapped - BBC tv series (2005) which was based on the1886 Robert Louis Stevenson adventure novel. The story is set in 1751. (We read it in class at school). James Anthony Pearson played the main character, Davie Balfour. in the BBC version.
Yes, Mike and I think Rotherham is mentioned in the book and also perhaps inspired the name Rotherwood which appears several times.
As for Kidnapped I only really remember the 1971 film version with Michael Caine although its been made into a number of series but I can't remember much about any of them.

M (The) Mayor of Casterbridge 1978 BBC seven part with Alan Bates. I can't remember if it was any good.

An alternative L follows on from Caz's Edward the Seventh - the 1978 13 pepisode series about Lillie Langtry, Lillie, was by the same production team and had many of the same characters and actors. Francesca Annis played the lead.

N Northwest passage - US tv series , made by MGM in the late 50's. Adventure series set in the 1750's/60's, based on the Kenneth Roberts novel, and MGM film. The tv series may not have been shown on UK tv, but I think that the film has been.

or... Oliver Twist -there have been several tv series based on the Charles Dickens novel, which describes the adventures of an orphan in Victorian London. Saw the BBC tv version from 1962, plus various films, a film-musical, and also read it at school!

O Outback House - Aussie drama about a sheep farm set in the mid 1800's.

Can't say I've seen it.
Never seen it either but thought it was a reality TV thing? Although, having said that the boundary between some reality TV and drama is hard to judge.

Last edited:
Another O I always used to watch on Sundays in the 1970s was (The) Onedin Line. Ran for 8 series about a 19th century shipping line. Pretty good, I thought. Starred a rugged Peter Gilmore and famous theme music from Khachaturian's Spartacus.

Last edited:
P - Pride and Prejudice 1995 six-part BBC series with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. Can't believe it's nearly thirty years ago!