A-Z Historical TV Series | Vital Football

A-Z Historical TV Series

Lindum

Vital Football Hero
Following on from the widely acclaimed A-Z of Westerns (:clap::wagging::agree:) I thought we might try another.

Anything from prehistoric times up until (arbitrary cut-off date) start of First World War. NB: Not movies, not documentaries. Drama Series on TV. Any subject, romance, war, politics, comedy, whatever just so long as it has a historical setting any time up until 1914 (ish).

Multiple selections and alternatives are welcome. If you can give a little info so much the better.

A Arthur of the Britons. ITV drama about King Arthur. Two seasons, 1972 -73. Oliver Tobias, Brian Blessed, Rupert Davies and Michael Gothard.

C City Of Vice - set in the 18th century in London which was full of prostitutes, pimps and violence and about Henry Fielding and his brother.

D Dark Ages - ITV sitcom set in Britain in the year 999, starring Phil Jupitus and Alistair McGowan. I have seen both of them perform live , but don't recall seeing them in that tv show, which was made in 1999.

A couple of alternatives

B Bramwell 4 series 1995-98. Set in 1890s London about female doctor played by Jemma Redgrave and her doctor father played by David Calder. Very good but I mention it because the wallpaper in their sitting room was the same as mine - William Morris 'Compton'.

C (The) Cleopatras. 8 part series in 1983 about Ptolemy dynasty in Egypt. Violent and loads of nudity.

Alternative D Dick Turpin 26 episodes 1979-82 with Richard O'Sullivan of Robin's Nest fame. Odd sort of comedy drama. Not my cup of tea.

F Frontier - a drama about the North American Fur Trade set in the 1700's I think. I only started watching it because Jason Momoa was in it, didn't watch more than a couple of episodes. Alun Armstrong was in it too.

F Frontier - a drama about the North American Fur Trade set in the 1700's I think. I only started watching it because Jason Momoa was in it, didn't watch more than a couple of episodes. Alun Armstrong was in it too.
Well, that's a new one on me but it sounds pretty good.

Have to mention an alternative F - (The) Forsyte Saga. Haven't watched the remake but liked the 1960s series with Eric Porter, Susan Hampshire and Nyree Dawn Porter.

G (The) Great Fire - ITV series set in London in 1666. Broadcast late 2014.
Well done, Mike. Again a new on for me. I was a bit stumped on G and could only think of the 1967 BBC 10 part series of Great Expectations which I think was on Sundays. I watched it but all I can remember is Francesca Annis was in it.

H (The) Hollow Crown BBC drama series 2012-16 with adaptations of Shakespeare's history plays. I should remember more about this than I do. Probably something I should watch again.

"Great Expectations" was one of our O-level books at school
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I Inheritance - ITV series (1967) about the Oldroyds, a family of Yorkshire mill-owners. The series was based on the novels of Phyllis Bentley. The period covered was 1812 (the Luddites) to 1965 ( more or less up-to-date when broadcast.), so some of the 12 episodes would have been set in the period after WW1. The cast included John Thaw, James Bolam and Wilfred Pickles. Remember watching some episodes when I was a youngster.

Last edited:
I Inheritance - ITV series (1967) about the Oldroyds, a family of Yorkshire mill-owners. The series was based on the novels of Phyllis Bentley. The period covered was 1812 (the Luddites) to 1965 ( more or less up-to-date when broadcast.), so some of the 12 episodes would have been set in the period after WW1. The cast included John Thaw, James Bolam and Wilfred Pickles. Remember watching some episodes when I was a youngster.
I'd forgotten this but vaguely remember the Luddite riots and "There's trouble at mill". I think I confuse bits of it with Brass.

It was set in the Huddersfield area. Several local history/tourist pamplets about the Luddites used to be available, with maps, details of the pubs that the Luddites used to meet in, and many of the old mill buildings are still there, so you get a feel for the scale of it all. Great countryside walks too. Ties in well with the E.P. Thompson classic social history book "The making of the English working class".

Last edited:
J John Adams, 2008 7 part miniseries about the American War of Independence and subsequent politics. I thought it was pretty good but would have to watch it again as I now only have a dim recollection. Paul Giamatti played the lead.

J Jamaica Inn - BBC tv ( 2014) series, based on the Daphne du Maurier novel of the same name. The story is set is in 1821, and based around a quiet coaching inn, which acts as a cover for various criminal activities.

Alternative I - Sorry but I have to give this a shout as I loved it as a youngster. Ivanhoe 1958-9, Roger Moore's first starring role. Probably more faithful to Sir Walter Scott's original story were the 1970 BBC 10 part series and the 1997 6 part adaptation also shown on BBC.