A message to supporters | Page 4 | Vital Football

A message to supporters

One other point I forgot is that someone said on here recently that the banks will not lend to us any more, and Scally has said the same in this report. So we cannot use loans to splash out on player wages and transfer fees in a gamble that we could get promoted and recoup the expense, as the bank will not sanction it.
However we did have £450k-£500k sitting in the account which was used for the pitch - although it was only at the end of September that they realised they would need to replace it. So the question is why was this money not added to the Summer's transfer budget so that Lovell could bring in higher calibre players than the usual non league/cast offs that he was left with?
Perhaps it was kept as a just in case of emergencies type fund, which I suppose was sensible.

I'd like to think it's your last sentence. If we had spent the money on players and then the pitch needed doing, we would be absolutely fucked- given that banks don't fancy us.

Sorry but PS has said several times that we have no debts and I believe him. I'm not going to be drawn on the veracity of the financial statements.

I presume you've now seen the approx 25 memoranda of satisfaction now filed in the last couple of weeks ?

Can't see them. Which Company? GFC still has 3 charges outstanding - one relating to Barclays (probably to do with a guarantee of the £9.05m loan discussed in extensive detail elsewhere), and 2 relating to Three Directors, which will be the £1.8m lent to buy back the stadium.

He says that the results are in the public domain, but the latest results are for the year to 31st May 2017. Much can happen 18 months, and we probably won't see the current year's accounts until the end of February 2020.

I will not be able to attend any of the meetings / forums but will be contacting him with a view to getting unequivocal clarification of his statement that the businesses are debt free by getting answers to the following:

- Does he accept that the general understanding of 'debt' is money that has been borrowed that is eventually required to be repaid, and services or goods provided that are required to be paid for. If not, how, specifically, does he define debt?

- The last filed financial statements show GFC Holdings having long term liabilities of £10,852,548. This is comprised mostly of the £9.05 loan, and the £1.8m loan from Three Directors. There was additionally £483,321 lent by Michael Anderson. Have these amounts now been settled in full and not been replaced with any other arrangements that are required to be disclosed in the financial statements, or for which any guarantees have been given by either GFC Ltd. or GFC Holdings Ltd?

The answer to second question should be one word only. If it is 'YES' then all the doubters (and I include myself in that number) should not only cease speculation the matter, but applaud him for stabilising the club's finances. Any answer more than that one word, and not only will the speculation continue, but we will have justifiable reason to continue to query the state of the club's financial situation.

The guff on the Cardiff game pricing is complete smoke and mirrors, and also incorrect, as of the nett income 10% goes to the Cup Pool and 45% each to ourselves and Cardiff, so in fact perhaps he's undercooked the ticket prices :shake:

Mentioning fixed overheads of £112k a week is irrelevant. This is an additional game, one for which the income almost certainly would not have been included in any business plan for the year - any profit is a bonus. And he doesn't mention additional profit from catering / hospitality, which we keep 100%

If he really wanted to bring the romance of the Cup back to Priestfield he should have at worst held prices, or possibly even reduced the slightly and ENSURED a full ground.

I agree with other posters, if it does sell out then well done PS and egg on my face, but I personally remain to be convinced that Cardiff are as big a draw as he thinks.

Can't see them. Which Company? GFC still has 3 charges outstanding - one relating to Barclays (probably to do with a guarantee of the £9.05m loan discussed in extensive detail elsewhere), and 2 relating to Three Directors, which will be the £1.8m lent to buy back the stadium.

He says that the results are in the public domain, but the latest results are for the year to 31st May 2017. Much can happen 18 months, and we probably won't see the current year's accounts until the end of February 2020.

I will not be able to attend any of the meetings / forums but will be contacting him with a view to getting unequivocal clarification of his statement that the businesses are debt free by getting answers to the following:

- Does he accept that the general understanding of 'debt' is money that has been borrowed that is eventually required to be repaid, and services or goods provided that are required to be paid for. If not, how, specifically, does he define debt?

- The last filed financial statements show GFC Holdings having long term liabilities of £10,852,548. This is comprised mostly of the £9.05 loan, and the £1.8m loan from Three Directors. There was additionally £483,321 lent by Michael Anderson. Have these amounts now been settled in full and not been replaced with any other arrangements that are required to be disclosed in the financial statements, or for which any guarantees have been given by either GFC Ltd. or GFC Holdings Ltd?

The answer to second question should be one word only. If it is 'YES' then all the doubters (and I include myself in that number) should not only cease speculation the matter, but applaud him for stabilising the club's finances. Any answer more than that one word, and not only will the speculation continue, but we will have justifiable reason to continue to query the state of the club's financial situation.

Hello,
Back in September 2017 you requested that we monitor GILLINGHAM FOOTBALL CLUB LTD for any important changes.
The following changes have just been detected:
03 Dec 2018Company MortgageDEBENTURESatisfied

Company MortgageDEBENTURESatisfied

Company MortgageLEGAL CHARGESatisfied

Company MortgageMORTGAGESatisfied

Company MortgageMORTGAGE DEBENTURESatisfied

Company MortgageLEGAL MORTGAGESatisfied

Company MortgageSECOND MORTGAGESatisfied

Company MortgageDEED OF CHARGE OVER DEPOSITSatisfied

The guff on the Cardiff game pricing is complete smoke and mirrors, and also incorrect, as of the nett income 10% goes to the Cup Pool and 45% each to ourselves and Cardiff, so in fact perhaps he's undercooked the ticket prices :shake:

Mentioning fixed overheads of £112k a week is irrelevant. This is an additional game, one for which the income almost certainly would not have been included in any business plan for the year - any profit is a bonus. And he doesn't mention additional profit from catering / hospitality, which we keep 100%

If he really wanted to bring the romance of the Cup back to Priestfield he should have at worst held prices, or possibly even reduced the slightly and ENSURED a full ground.

I agree with other posters, if it does sell out then well done PS and egg on my face, but I personally remain to be convinced that Cardiff are as big a draw as he thinks.
It has been reported on here that the club are quoted as saying that ticket sales are on track for around a 10k/sell out. As they are only on sale to season ticket holders up to next Wednesday and we certainly do not have 10k ST holders, how can they possibly know how many non-ST holders will buy tickets when they go on general sale? Either they have been selling them on the quiet or Durham has been appointed as the new marketing guru.

Last edited:
It has been reported on here that the club are quoted as saying that ticket sales are on track for around a 10k/sell out. As they are only on sale to season ticket holders up to next Wednesday and we certainly do not have 10k ST holders, how can they possible know how many non-ST holders will buy tickets when they go on general sale? Either they have been selling them on the quiet or Durham has been appointed as the new marketing guru.
Answer may be that ST holders are able to buy multiple tickets. Some dispute over exactly how many but I know a few who have bought at least 3 each.

I think it’s a good update from Scally. As others have said it’s from the heart and not the usual sanitised bullshit that most clubs produce.

I believe Scally is committed to doing what is best for the club. Mainly I suspect for egotistical reasons but that’s fine with me - that’s what motivates most of our players too.

Regarding the ticket prices I believe the increase was well intentioned to maximise income for the club. If it achieves that then Scally will have been proven right. I still think it will back fire not only in terms of income for the game but also in further alienating supporters who will be less likely to attend other matches with their noses put further out of joint.

If after tax and all the other deductions we get about 40% of the ticket price then the extra £3 a ticket works out to be £1.20 to the club - an extra £12000 if we were to sell 10,000 tickets. That’s without taking into account the extra revenue for catering a larger gate would bring.

Hello,
Back in September 2017 you requested that we monitor GILLINGHAM FOOTBALL CLUB LTD for any important changes.

Companies House info regarding Charges is
28 charges registered
3 outstanding, 25 satisfied, 0 part satisfied

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00039175/charges

This is old news. If your informant has only just detected these changes then perhaps they should update their information database more frequently.:rolleyes:

Hello,

You're showing 24 charges satisfied, although the records show 25 satisfied and 3 outstanding - Barclays and Three Directors Ltd [2]

"When I came to Gillingham in 1995, Tony Smith, who remains a top supporter of the Club, had owned and been running the business for a few years. He had a few difficulties but put his heart, soul and money into keeping the business going. Tony was one of the reasons I took control of GFC, his passion and vision rubbed off on me, but what has always concerned me was that then, some 23 years ago, as is now, there were no Gillingham fans prepared to step in and help him financially, prepared to take on the Club or to shoulder the responsibility, pretty sad when I look back, but that is now the reason why I have had to look further afield."

How to win friends and influence people.

I know there were people who invested some quite large sum when Scally called for people to buy shares in GFC - their details are shown in the Club's Companies House records. I know that some would have invested a lot more but offers were declined - something to do with different agendas. Scally not wishing to relinquish any control more like.

Throughout his article, there are digs at different people for no real reason other than 'different agendas' - points of view I would say.

Instead of just repeating ourselves over and over and ..... why dont people meet with PS and ask him directly.
He has offered time slots but also said ‘his door is always open’.

Personally, Scally has come out and issued a statement of some of the current problems. Well done for that. What I don't get is why so many are so interested in the minute details of the finances. We are a lower league club we are solvent according to public records. We don't have regular TV income
as we are not a premier of championship club. People are treating it as though they own the club and its their money.
The one thing that does get me is the level of abuse directed at some of our own players when things are not going well.
Families and players do read these forums and many take it personally. It has got to affect you as a player if your constantly being told your sh..
I always cheer the players and team on during the games. we all have our moans and opinions after the game and thats our right.
Ive been following this team for only the past 5/6 years and Im just a novice compared with many of you. I dont pretend to know the clubs long history. Ive never seen the ground full even when we were top of the league. I think there is a general apathy towards football locally. I dont think it will be a sell out v cardiff either. Moving to another stadium might be a solution as there is just nowhere to park around Priestfield. Getting some decent food and a pint before is not the best either. There is a loyal 3-4 k and another 2k if we play attractive football. But I can never see 10-12k at GIllingham. So this is a tough one for Scally. There is Brexit to come as well ? how will that impact on Gates? when some are potentially poorer ?
I see away fans that don't go to our home games and a small minority always shouting the boring 'Scally out' brigade.

Bromley I don't remember many turning up to clear the snow when we had a game called off last season ? The away stand front rows were covered in snow so they cancelled the game. To me the whole area and people around GIllingham is depressed and couldn't give a rats arse about football. Unless you are local Gills is geographically long journey and difficult to get to particularly if your coming from north of the M25.
Ive read some very interesting opinions on here and most posters have a lot of knowledge which I welcome reading

What I don't get is why so many are so interested in the minute details of the finances

I’m not sure I’d refer to a £10M+ loan as a minute detail. Whether or not we owe that kind of money could have a huge bearing on our future prospects.

I’m not sure I’d refer to a £10M+ loan as a minute detail. Whether or not we owe that kind of money could have a huge bearing on our future prospects.

£10m would be a simply massive debt for a club our size. The guy who actually runs the club insists it no longer exists. A few fans still beg to differ.
Who should we believe?

£10m would be a simply massive debt for a club our size. The guy who actually runs the club insists it no longer exists. A few fans still beg to differ.
Who should we believe?
Scally said that evidence of the loan repayment is in the public domain; by that, does he mean as mentioned in official despatches or his own statement made to the public. If some does go to meet him, please ask for evidence that the loan has been repaid or forgiven.

Surely someone on here that maybe knows something on finances can take up the offer to go ask. WK is not local.