A message to supporters | Page 2 | Vital Football

A message to supporters

Spot on VBS. This a reaction and it feels like an eruption of ‘stuff’. It’s welcome but much better to embed some systems to ensure regular proactive communication. Not hard to do if you have the will.

I don't think he's committed the "all true Scotsmen" fallacy at all. He's asked for reasonable dissent reasonably expressed. Perhaps someone should go down to one of his clinics and say, it's very hard for some people to see how your GBP 200K pa take is justifiable given the performance of the club over the years, listen to what he has to say, and come back here with a report.

I don't think he's committed the "all true Scotsmen" fallacy at all. He's asked for reasonable dissent reasonably expressed. Perhaps someone should go down to one of his clinics and say, it's very hard for some people to see how your GBP 200K pa take is justifiable given the performance of the club over the years, listen to what he has to say, and come back here with a report.

£200k really isn’t an unreasonable amount of wonga for a chairman managing a club the size of GFC. I guess he gets bad press from the fan base because:

- the average supporter earning £20k-£30k per year can not comprehend how someone can earn 10 times what they earn;
- since football is so emotive, we all feel that owners of football should invest every penny back in to playing staff;
- we’ve got accustomed to billionaires pumping money in to clubs with no expectation of getting any return.

Serious questions to people who criticise the £200k:

- what do you believe Scally deserves to be paid?
- do you feel it is right that some players will earn more than the chairman?
- if Scally were to take a back-seat and appoint a CEO, what do you think the market rate would be for that CEO?

I believe Paul Scally when he says we have no debts and have always believed that. Now I know that the accounts have not reflected that but sometimes there are reasons why a debt, which has in effect been written off, cannot reflect the actuality, for a number of years.
That is total bollocks by any accounting standard worldwide. If there is no debt, then it will not appear in the financial statements other than in the movement of funds etc during the year. Can you please illustrate your point by reference to the applicable section of the Companies Act.

Sorry but PS has said several times that we have no debts and I believe him. I'm not going to be drawn on the veracity of the financial statements.

I presume you've now seen the approx 25 memoranda of satisfaction now filed in the last couple of weeks ?

I agree with the substance of the letter but he's got an inflammatory way of going about it. Clearly no PR filter.

Didn't he say around summer time that he would be joining twitter? That hasn't materialised.

What makes me laugh is that in any other circumstances people saying stuff is just PR would be an insult and people would say what they want is stuff straight from the heart and not from some PR company. Well like it or not you get stuff straight from Scally with no PR intermediary. To my mind it does come straight from the heart and is all the better for it.

£200k really isn’t an unreasonable amount of wonga for a chairman managing a club the size of GFC. I guess he gets bad press from the fan base because:

- the average supporter earning £20k-£30k per year can not comprehend how someone can earn 10 times what they earn;
- since football is so emotive, we all feel that owners of football should invest every penny back in to playing staff;
- we’ve got accustomed to billionaires pumping money in to clubs with no expectation of getting any return.

Serious questions to people who criticise the £200k:

- what do you believe Scally deserves to be paid?
- do you feel it is right that some players will earn more than the chairman?
- if Scally were to take a back-seat and appoint a CEO, what do you think the market rate would be for that CEO?

Don’t have time to do a long post now, but don’t forget he is the second highest paid director in our League after the Sunderland Director, and also higher paid than over half the Championship club’s directors/owners too.
One point that stuck out for me is that he said he has only been actively seeking investment or new owners for the past year or so. Does that mean he was lying when he said he was moving to Dubai to seek investment several years ago?
He should do more of these type of reports, I also think it was a mistake that he didn’t come to the fans forum in the summer that was left to Lovell and the management team.
Interesting that in a piece which discusses the “Scally Out” brigade, there is a photo of one of the more vocal (on social media) members!

The only cliché he didn't use was Fake News. He still talks about people with agendas; they're not agendas but simply people expressing views different to his.

One comment, in particular, that struck me was:

"It is well documented, in fact I produced a report in 1999 to the effect, that firstly I firmly believe GFC has huge, as yet unlocked potential as a Football Club, but secondly, and for it to achieve its football potential, it has no long-term future in its current stadium."

What is going to change simply as a result of moving to a new stadium ffs? Where have the initiatives come from that have truly tapped into the 280,000 inhabitants of Medway and many more beyond in Kent etc and filled Priestfield time and time again? It's 20 years almost since PDPS wrote that report and a new stadium could be 5 - 10 years away. So, what do we do in the meantime, continue to stagnate?

Some fair points, but quite waffly and whiny overall. Given it's a lengthy 8 page newsletter apprising where the club is and where it's going, might he not have been better off allotting more than one sentence to the new stadium plans? He spouts on about how we can emulate Brighton, Borunemouth and co, pointing to our population size (and I don't disagree in theory), but he provides no meat on the bone about how we are going to get there and nothing about the new stadium.

Also, an update on what he's done and is doing to re-sign our main man Eaves would be good. OK, maybe Tom is now destined to leave, but let's at least get some assurances that the club has been trying to extend his contract for the past six months and still is.

I'd suggest these sort of issues are more interesting to fans than moaning about online criticism - especially given the detail has gone in to.

Wayne, you could discuss with Scally all your ideas for initiatives that will "fill the stadium time and time again" when you meet him to talk over the debt issue. Thanks for your agreement about the 200k and I'm serious that you should meet him and you genuinely might have some decent ideas about getting people in the ground.

Don’t have time to do a long post now, but don’t forget he is the second highest paid director in our League after the Sunderland Director, and also higher paid than over half the Championship club’s directors/owners too.

I would be surprised that Scally is the highest earner.

It would be difficult to substantiate. For a start, are the figures comparing like-for-like? I imagine a lot of the club owners’s remuneration is disguised. For instance in the form of pensions / consultancy fees (as Scally does) / loan arrangements / share incentive schemes etc. I’d say that it is impossible to compare because of the lack of transparency.

That aside, I can walk in to a permanent job as FD on £150k + bonus + car + pension + shares. I wouldn’t have any risk. So, considering that - £200k doesn’t seem unreasonable.

Wow some of you lot are naive it's as if a written report (fitted to his agenda) is all it takes.

Well apparently if you criticise Scally you're described as a "fan" according to that message. Great.

Scally totally defends the Cardiff pricing, yes he can chuck a few figures out but it's another load of hot air tbh.

I'm gonna phone the club up now and let it be known the Cardiff prices are unacceptable.