82/83 Comparisons | Page 4 | Vital Football

82/83 Comparisons

The end of March 1982.

Yes, they had the 18-year-old Trevor Steven in their side, but the Dixon who played was Paul Dixon - I don't think Lee Dixon made his debut for them until the following season. Burnley also had Brian Laws in their side, ex-England midfielder Martin Dobson, Northern Ireland's Billy Hamilton and Eire international Paul McGee.

For City, it was one of the few games ex-Bristol City defender David Rodgers played while filling in for the suspended Steve Thompson.

Remember watching Lee Dixon playing for Stoke before he moved to Arsenal

The end of March 1982.

Yes, they had the 18-year-old Trevor Steven in their side, but the Dixon who played was Paul Dixon - I don't think Lee Dixon made his debut for them until the following season. Burnley also had Brian Laws in their side, ex-England midfielder Martin Dobson, Northern Ireland's Billy Hamilton and Eire international Paul McGee.

For City, it was one of the few games ex-Bristol City defender David Rodgers played while filling in for the suspended Steve Thompson.
Interesting how strong that team is. Normally we are saying because of foreign imports L1 is stronger than ever.

Unlike 1983 a signing already!

Yes a stark contrast, Back then we were singing songs about "burning Blades house down" (a little harsh on reflection :giggle:)based on the lack of transfer activity, now we're signing £4million wonder kids from the elite of the Premier. I said i wouldnt let myself get excited about this oddball season given all the uncertainties but its impossible not to, we're in a very good place right now :khat: .

Yes a stark contrast, Back then we were singing songs about "burning Blades house down" (a little harsh on reflection :giggle:)based on the lack of transfer activity, now we're signing £4million wonder kids from the elite of the Premier. I said i wouldnt let myself get excited about this oddball season given all the uncertainties but its impossible not to, we're in a very good place right now :khat: .

I get what you're say Long Suffering, I too didn't want to get excited. I have now ripped that page up and I am 100% excited. It's all part of the journey, get excited Imps we may never see the like again.

3 more points and it would have been us!

The was point I was making (no pun intended) had the Imps got something out of 'that' match at Turf Moor on Easter Monday the seasons outcome would likely been very different indeed. The point at Craven Cottage on the last day of the season would likely been enough to have seen the club over the line. Pots and pans and all that...

A complete digression does anyone recall the Wings Coaches that had tables ala those in trains - the only reason I mention it, is the coach to Burnley & Fulham was fitted with them, least ways the ones yours truly travelled on was.

You forget how many goals had been scored at this stage in the 82/83 season. Both ourselves and Bristol Rovers had over 50. Defences are tighter and better organised today?

As I mentioned in this (or another) thread, this was the second season of 3 points for a win and there was a fairly significant uptick in goals because of that. Div 3 in 1982-83 was especially prolific. Exeter finished just above the relegation zone, scoring 81 and conceding 104! Donny won 7-5 at Reading (or the other way round). It was positively 1950s style chaos!

Donny won 7-5 at Reading (or the other way round). It was positively 1950s style chaos!

This coincided with manager Billy Bremner's decision to go all-out attack. Doncaster has beaten Exeter 6-1 in their previous home game but after beating Reading lost 3-6 at home to Wigan the following week.

We beat them 5-1 at Sincil Bank shortly after. After Doncaster then drew 4-4 with Brentford he must have decided to change as it all calmed down.

The Reading game was unusual as Kerry Dixon scored all five for Reading but still ended up on the losing side.

Be interesting to see how this goes from here. In my memory the home defeat by Huddersfield started the fall but it was 40 years ago so memory is a bit fuzzy.
Other season I can draw parallels is Schoey’s first season, when 1st half of season we played great football, and probably due to better goal scorers handed out a few thrashings. Then things fell away 2nd half of season. Doesn’t have the feel of those 2 seasons but we know these things can happen.

Be interesting to see how this goes from here. In my memory the home defeat by Huddersfield started the fall but it was 40 years ago so memory is a bit fuzzy.

After losing at home to Huddersfield we then won at Gillingham and beat Preston at home. This was followed by a 2-1 defeat at Wigan then a 2-1 home win against fourth-placed Bristol Rovers so we were still looking good three points clear at the top, and six ahead of - er - Portsmouth in fourth place (three automatic places in those days).

It was after that when things fell apart - the next seven games produced three draws (all away) and four defeats (three of them at home). That put us down to fourth, two points off the promotion places (no play-offs then).