82/83 Comparisons | Page 2 | Vital Football

82/83 Comparisons

You lot could only muster an average of 4790 this iconic season! Norfolk giving it the big one on the fishy, well mate this same very season we were averaging 7500! Isn’t our all time average something like 2k more than you boys aswell?

May have been, only remember us been top for ages, and fell away, had we won that game we would have finished 3rd i think. memory isn't what it was.

My memory of the season that ultimately ended up with dissapointment at Craven Cottage was at Christmas the Imps were in the bottom quarter of the 'old' third division due to the high number of postponements from late Nov thro' early Feb. From which the team went on a nigh on amazing run of results to put the Imps in with a chance of promotion in that final and fateful final game of the season in West London.

If memory serves it was the following season when the Imps looked home and hosed for promotion to Div 2 at Christmas, before it went all Pete Tong in spectacular fashion.

Last edited:
Agree that comparisons between eras is always difficult. This side are already overachieving on where I thought we'd be at this stage, and I suppose position in the league table at the end of the season will be the final arbiter

I would say 'true' comparisons are nigh on impossible, there are far to many variables. Whilst I do believe the Murph's early '80s side to contain a set of more individually talanted players. However, on a like-for-like basis I would expect the current crop of Imps to beat that side on an everything is equal basis if they played each other, sports science and tatics have come a very long way indeed in the intervening forty years.

Last edited:
You lot could only muster an average of 4790 this iconic season! Norfolk giving it the big one on the fishy, well mate this same very season we were averaging 7500! Isn’t our all time average something like 2k more than you boys aswell?

We averaged 8,401 a few seasons earlier, what's your point? #FentyIn

We averaged 11,000 a few seasons earlier than this also. No point just stating facts.

Even less point living in the past. It will lead to depression on a mass scale, and lets be honest Grimsby is depressing enough without constantly reminding yourself how long it has been so.

Fact Grimsby have been in the top division we have not.
Fact Grimsby have spent longer than us at level 2
Fact Historical average attendance 1900 higher than us.

Now, we are fighting for promotion to level 2 a realistic chance it seems while you are fighting a relegation battle with a realistic chance of being a non league club next season.

On here we are all aware Grimsby have been more successful down the years, but we are currently top dogs and as such will wave our willies in delight, not wave our willies on the past that you have, while being limp now in need of a little blue pill to give us hope we can rise again.

I would say 'true' comparisons are nigh on impossible, there are far to many variables. Whilst I do believe the Murph's early '80s side to contain a set of more individually talanted players. However, on a like-for-like basis I would expect the current crop of Imps to beat that side on an everything is equal basis if they played each other, sports science and tatics have come a very long way indeed in the intervening forty years.

Not forgetting there were very few foreign players back then... the knock on effect of the influx of foreign players has arguably raised the league one quality to the old second division level. I confidently say this is the best lincoln side there has ever been.

Not forgetting there were very few foreign players back then... the knock on effect of the influx of foreign players has arguably raised the league one quality to the old second division level.

Which partly explains why a significant number of the Murph's side/squad went onto to have careers in the 'old' 1st Div. There would be almost next to no chance that happening today.