82/83 Comparisons | Page 3 | Vital Football

82/83 Comparisons

Time to stop with the comparisons, considering that side then only picked up 33 points from the remaining 26 games. Over the course of the season that form would have put them 16th.

I disagree ... some of the current players can rival those in the best team in our lifetime.

Palmer, Montsma, Bridcutt, Grant & Johnson would all stake worthy claims to be in that Murphy side.

I disagree ... some of the current players can rival those in the best team in our lifetime.

Palmer, Montsma, Bridcutt, Grant & Johnson would all stake worthy claims to be in that Murphy side.

My point is not about players, who can't realistically be compared over different eras, but that it's tempting fate to continue with the comparison when we all know there was an implosion in 1983.

My point is not about players, who can't realistically be compared over different eras, but that it's tempting fate to continue with the comparison when we all know there was an implosion in 1983.

Isn't this what football fora were invented for, idle and nonsensical comparisons between different generations?

If discussion of an implosion 38 years ago, when most of the current squad were not even born has an affect on this season something gone spectacularly wrong, just sayin', like.

Isn't this what football fora were invented for, idle and nonsensical comparisons between different generations?

If discussion of an implosion 38 years ago, when most of the current squad were not even born has an affect on this season something gone spectacularly wrong, just sayin', like.

Football players (especially) and supporters are notoriously superstitious.

Danny Baker used to have a feature on his phone-in where he invited anyone whose team were two goals up to stand up and shout out "nothing can go wrong now" and see what reaction he got.

"Granddad" Bridcutt is 31 so none of the squad were born then! Now I feel old....

Football players (especially) and supporters are notoriously superstitious.

Danny Baker used to have a feature on his phone-in where he invited anyone whose team were two goals up to stand up and shout out "nothing can go wrong now" and see what reaction he got.

I'm not saying it all can't go Pete Tong, it can and most followers of the Imps are anticipating it. However, if it does, any idle chatter on here will play no part.

Those long in the tooth Imps followers, like myself are all to well accustomed to the history of the Imps never failing to disappoint. Hopefully the team and club can build on the last 4/5 years of success and make it to the Championship and I too can become truly bullish!

I think even a spectacular collapse at this point of the season and a finish of top 8 must be considered a success shouldn't it? Not getting promoted this season as treating it as some kind of failure (imho) would be completely unreasonable...

I think even a spectacular collapse at this point of the season and a finish of top 8 must be considered a success shouldn't it? Not getting promoted this season as treating it as some kind of failure (imho) would be completely unreasonable...

Quite.

I was suggesting precisely that. Moderating expectation in history is not entirely a bad thing. Upwards and onwards to fifty points.

Blimey, what sort of a 2nd half of season must Burnley have had, not even in the top 15 on the 1st January, Champions by end of the season !
I remember the frustrating 1-1 draw late on at SB, Trevor Steven and a young Lee Dixon at right-back played for them I recall?

Blimey, what sort of a 2nd half of season must Burnley have had, not even in the top 15 on the 1st January, Champions by end of the season !
One thing I remember was that the league was very tight, and the three promoted sides barely scraped to 80 points. I don't know if this might have been because it was the first season of 3 points for a win and many teams were still playing for a draw? Certainly the following season there was a big uptick in goals scored as teams started to become more attack minded.

Those long in the tooth Imps followers, like myself are all to well accustomed to the history of the Imps never failing to disappoint. Hopefully the team and club can build on the last 4/5 years of success and make it to the Championship and I too can become truly bullish!

A bit like the English Test team - snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I remember the frustrating 1-1 draw late on at SB, Trevor Steven and a young Lee Dixon at right-back played for them I recall?

The end of March 1982.

Yes, they had the 18-year-old Trevor Steven in their side, but the Dixon who played was Paul Dixon - I don't think Lee Dixon made his debut for them until the following season. Burnley also had Brian Laws in their side, ex-England midfielder Martin Dobson, Northern Ireland's Billy Hamilton and Eire international Paul McGee.

For City, it was one of the few games ex-Bristol City defender David Rodgers played while filling in for the suspended Steve Thompson.