4 Players Depart the Squad | Page 3 | Vital Football

4 Players Depart the Squad

Was Donnery highly regarded at some point ?
I got that impression. Sure he made the bench last season and seemed to score a lot for the u18s. Obviously didn't work out. Strange scholarship dates too, as would normally end when the season finishes. Actually has his own website.

Does seem to be something other than footballing ability with Donnery. Don’t normally get a mention when a scholar leaves. Given we’ve had a youth striker on the bench recently, ordinarily you might have thought he would have been in line for that.
Perhaps with his round of trials we were still hoping for some compensation for him but have now given up.

good luck to the 4 of them. Think someone said 1 of the youngsters had something lined up already, and Donnery’s been with Scotland youth teams and trial at Blackburn so i’m sure he’ll be sorted soon enough - hope he’s not another Clucas!

We’ll see Shodipo at this level in the future, never really got his chance this year but last year when he wanted to prove something we saw what he could do.

I don’t think we were aware of the extent of Vale’s injury and we never really got the full him back. Wish him the best of luck for his next move.

Yeah agreed. When I read about Sonny Perkins (obviously not coming having played for two clubs) I wondered if he'd be a similar type... Not rapid or a wide option who is going to beat a full back. Not big or a focal point, not a handful for defenders and also not someone you can play into to hold it up. Not really a creative option at 10 / 10s seem a bit dead now anyway in the old, playmaker type sense and you'd want someone who works really hard).

I'm wary of some of these young strikers now (Vale, Plange, Cullen even Morton or Tyreece John-Jules). I know Cullen and TJJ scored buckets at youth levels but their attributes have not seemed well suited for us. It might be unfair on Cullen who has played in the Championship a little bit more since but clearly it didn't work here.

Maybe some of those are just having bodies at the club, but they probably need very specific circumstances to thrive and that hasn't been the way we've played recently. I appreciate many of these are from the bench but just totting it up we're talking 5 league goals from a total of 76 appearances with those I've mentioned above. I imagine none are costly but when we've had to rely on some of them for a bit / been so poor attacking wise I wonder if they've really been worth being here at all.

I wonder if the talent ID could be better (again not saying it's easy!) in terms of what attributes these young forwards offer - just writing this made me think of your post the other day about having sort of deadwood players/punts that don't come off. I feel like there must be some players out there who are more of a handful than what we've had.

Probably worth saying, Taylor does not seem to fit the profile of ones who hasn't really worked on the basis of 1) looking really built 2) confident & scoring goals. Maybe only Morton on the latter but it was a small sample size and he had his injury issues.

and in the u18s today. having officially said he has left at the end of his scholarship, i wonder if there will be something official to say he has now been re-signed or something.