2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread | Page 10 | Vital Football

2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread

10m from Boselli? I thought we only sold him for about a mill i never heard about such a large sell on coming our way. How much did he go for?

I think Gaz is mixing Boselli up with that crap French bloke with the tear drop tattoo under his eye
He went back to France for a fee, scored quite a few & was then sold on for a big fee to a Mexican club

I don’t recall Boselli being involved in any big money moves after moving back to Argentina

10m from Boselli? I thought we only sold him for about a mill i never heard about such a large sell on coming our way. How much did he go for?
Sorry, I'm getting our striking flops mixed up! When we sold Andy Delort on we had a 30+% sell on clause, he then moved to Tigres from Caen for £7m which netted us £2m+ on top of the £2m+ add ons fee Caen paid us. Fortunately for us Caen also put a big sell on clause in their deal (something like 45%!) and add on fees so when he triggered add on fees and then Tigres sold him on to Tolouse for £5.5m we then got a cut of that.

So we paid about £3.5m for him and made back taking into account the fee for his loan move back to Tours about £8-10m. I happened to be working with a Latics accountant for a day and he happened to have a page on his desk detailing all the money we were receiving and owing. Unfortunately I couldn't turn the page to get all the dirty details!

I also saw that Hamilton had a similar situation with ourselves for the sale of the Jimmy's. Whenever we received money from their deals we owed a cut back to Hamilton.

Sorry, I'm getting our striking flops mixed up! When we sold Andy Delort on we had a 30+% sell on clause, he then moved to Tigres from Caen for £7m which netted us £2m+ on top of the £2m+ add ons fee Caen paid us. Fortunately for us Caen also put a big sell on clause in their deal (something like 45%!) and add on fees so when he triggered add on fees and then Tigres sold him on to Tolouse for £5.5m we then got a cut of that.

So we paid about £3.5m for him and made back taking into account the fee for his loan move back to Tours about £8-10m. I happened to be working with a Latics accountant for a day and he happened to have a page on his desk detailing all the money we were receiving and owing. Unfortunately I couldn't turn the page to get all the dirty details!

I also saw that Hamilton had a similar situation with ourselves for the sale of the Jimmy's. Whenever we received money from their deals we owed a cut back to Hamilton.
No need to appologise it's easy done, neither were very memorable for us. I know Boselli was scoring for fun in Mexico so i wasn't sure if someone had signed him since and we had got a nice windfall i'd missed.

The Delort sitiation was so strange how such a massive flop went on to make us a profit in the end.

Intetesting that Hyndman was a teammate of Dan Burn at Fulham. Not the first time we've been heavily linked with a player our key playing staff know well.

Alan Nixon today said Wigan still looking at signing Perch and we are working with a 'tightish' budget. Maybe another bit of news later today.

I can imagine most of the 6m loan from IEC will go on the inevitable increase in our wage bill so I'm not expecting us to spend much on fees. Especially since we are likely going to need to make some strong new contract offers for current players on top of the new signings. So the tightish budget isn't a big shock.

Alan Nixon today said Wigan still looking at signing Perch and we are working with a 'tightish' budget. Maybe another bit of news later today.

I can imagine most of the 6m loan from IEC will go on the inevitable increase in our wage bill so I'm not expecting us to spend much on fees. Especially since we are likely going to need to make some strong new contract offers for current players on top of the new signings. So the tightish budget isn't a big shock.

Indeed, tying down our best players that are out of contract at the end of the season is more important than making new signings IMO. Remains to be seen whether the takeover will be completed before January, which might be when any 'major' deals are made if indeed the IEC money is available to spend.

Unless things have changed, Mr Whelan is actually still funding the club rather than IEC. (by way of working capital loans). These loans get paid back upon completion of the share / property / lease sale.
Completion by 15th November 2018 - working capital loan of £4,725,000.
Completion of share purchase extended to 31st January 2019 - working capital loan of £6,475,000
A loan figure of 700,000 quid per month is quoted from 24th April to completion.

For those that do not have twitter

Yanic and the 2015 DW Red Card vs Sheffield Wednesday player.jpg

James Perch.jpg

Last edited:
Unless things have changed, Mr Whelan is actually still funding the club rather than IEC. (by way of working capital loans). These loans get paid back upon completion of the share / property / lease sale.
Completion by 15th November 2018 - working capital loan of £4,725,000.
Completion of share purchase extended to 31st January 2019 - working capital loan of £6,475,000
A loan figure of 700,000 quid per month is quoted from 24th April to completion.

Good spot i misread who was providing the working capital loan, i thought it was IEC effectively putting ininvestment before take over final.

Im suprised that we are still keen on Perch after getting James and Bruce and Thomas extending deals. I think if we do Perch it'll be him and Naismith battling for the LB spot.

I'd like us to look again at a natural LB like Potts from Luton but i think they'd be looking for a bigger fee than we could fit into budget.

Last edited:
I have to imagine that Perch is being signed as a 3rd or 4th option center half because I think Thomas will go back on loan. QPR fans saying on twitter that’s where he played best last year.

Can Villa afford Dan Burn or is that just a false rumour? They surely can’t pay 6 million for him

7:49 AM - 2 Jul 2018

Nixon

Villa want Burn. If they sell a few. Don’t see Wigan selling him without a big fee. So difficult all round.

Just had a quick look the Mellor rumour comes from Pete O'Rourke who in the past has had good info on Wigan.

I'm a big fan of Mellor from what I've seen - big, quick, strong and very attack minded. He primarily a right back but i believe he can play accross the back 4. The only thing with this rumour is now we have Byrne, James and potentially Perch signing adding Mellor as well would see us completely overloaded in defence on that right hand side and i can't see us signing players to sit in the stands. I imagine it would be either or for Mellor and Perch rather than both - or maybe even neither if we get a left back in.

The other link Marc Bola was on loan at Bristol Rovers last season and apparently did quite well without seeming to rip up any trees. I saw a poll on twitter of about 90 Bristol Rovers where 60% said they'd sign him again. Still only 20, big, quick and strong LB who is apparently quite attack minded and can play CB aswell and on a free. Certainly can't do any harm taking a look at him in training.

I'm sure if the link below will work as it's a video embedded on twitter but here's some highlights of him.

Not seen anything else about Hyndman since the original rumour - but i like the sound of him, i hope we get that one done.

Bournemouth have just signed that lad from Sheff Utd, so if the Hyndman deal is to happen then the next week or so is the time.

As you said, Bola performed as expected at Bristol Rovers. He'd be a good option as the second body in that position and looks good technically. But I feel we'd need someone more ready as well.

I'm a little worried by all these right backs. The club arent fools. We can't possibly be looking at Mellor as well as bringing in the Chelsea lad, while still seeing Byrne as our first choice right back.

I hope the Mellor link was simply from before. If he comes in then it signals that Byrne is off or will play further upfield. Others may disagree but for me it is stupid to play our best player from last year in a different position. He may see himself as a winger, but he was exceptional bringing the ball forward from deep last season and the system suits him in that role.

Just seen the latest club video with Shay Dunkerly and he seems to think we may be playing a new system

Weren’t we trying to sign Dan Potts a while or so back? Sounds to me like the pot may be empty because that rumour has gone dead quiet, I do hope we haven’t blown our entire transfer budget on Lopes as promising a prospect he may be. I’d rather have Elder back than the free agent LBs we’ve been linked with today. Hyndman would be a good signing though. Can score and create from central midfield, sounds very similar to Evans.

Wigan linked with Baily Cargill, left back who got released from Bournemouth. Got loaned out to Partick Thistle last season.