2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread | Vital Football

2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread

wiganfanfrank

Vital Squad Member
Hi everyone, let's put all of the summer rumors, announcements and discussion in this thread. I talked to the admin and he is going to sticky it to the top.

So our Super Duper Mega Summer Transfer Thread still hasn't got a rumour on it, but plenty of bickering.

Got to love this forum......

Not much going on at the club the last few days in terms of movement and rumors.... Waiting for July 1 and the squad to return

I'm sure a lot is going on behind the scenes, but not many players ever move this early in the summer as they still have time to negotiate better deals with other clubs before their contracts run out (if they are freebies) or the clubs wont rush through signings only to needlessly pay them to sit on their hoidays for a few weeks unless they feel they risk losing them by not getting the deal done early. Also we know a lot of players availability is often subject to other deals going through - so selling clubs aren't keen to let anyone out until they've got their replacements in first. With the world cup taking place the top clubs will likely wait and see what happens there before making signings and that effect every club as it will hold up the transfer chains that will trickle down to us.

Naismith and Da Silva seemed to drop without any rumours getting out to suggest they were imminent so we are quite good at keeping things under out hat. You never know what we're are up to.

(ridiculous argument deleted, spoiling thread, upheld alerts. Back on topic please, the bickering had stopped, lets not go back to it (y) )

grate. now if you can work on the aloofness, disdain and self righteousness this place will be a grate place to talk footy.

I really can`t see us signing many , obviously we are waiting on the Walton update but apart from that maybe a couple more ..

I really can`t see us signing many , obviously we are waiting on the Walton update but apart from that maybe a couple more ..

I think judging on what Sharpe and Cook said, if we get Walton back, I'm expecting about 4 more for certain. I think that will plug the holes and give Cook a squad he's happy to go with.

But you know what football is like everyone is always looking to improve and situations can change rapidly with players previously not available suddenly being put up for sale or loan. So it wouldn't shock me if by the time the window shuts we'll have brought in a few more than we expected.

I read the other day Brighton were looking to bring in two back up keepers so they obviously feel Waltons development will be best served by regular first team football again. I think both Walton and indeed Jones were enthusing about our goalkeeping coach (cannot recall his name) so with that feedback to his parent club I'd say we have a decent chance of him returning.

The info olfe posted on the takeover thread suggests the deal may not be done for several months, post window in any case. As such investment in better quality players than we have may not necessarily occur until the investors have their feet under the desk, not withstanding the loan that was announced a few weeks back. As ever well considered loans may be top of the list. Having a balanced squad will therefore be key, if not high quality for this level and leaving it to Cook to wring the best out of them.

Walton deal is all agreed. Brighton just won’t give the green light until they sign a backup keeper and Matt Ryan comes back from the World Cup in one piece.

Today's press are reporting that Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce is looking to sign Superman Dan Burn as a replacement for John Terry. They claim with only a year left on his contract Latics may cash in unless he signs an extension.
I hope this is bullshit !!!

Villa are in serious financial trouble due to the Financial Fair Play rules they have a massive wage bill and need to sell players and slash the salary budget to avoid sanctions.

There is no way they could make a decent offer for Burn unless they offload loads of players which will be hard as very few other Champ clubs could afford to take on the crazy salaries Villas biggest earners are on. They are probably hoping they could get Burn cheap which i can't see happening or tempt us with player swaps but i doubt who they'd offer we'd be willing to pay the wages or even want in the first place.

I saw an interview where Burn said he loves it here, he's settled in the area, he's the happiest he's been at any club and wasn't looking to move. So let's hope that remains the case and this is a prompt to the board to get Burn, Morsy and Powells new contracts offered asap to push away the vultures. I'm quietly confident if we offer Dan a good new deal he'd sign it judging from how he came across in the interview - but you never can be certain in football.

Alternatively this may be Burns agent putting this info in the press to try and get better terms for Big Dan.

Not us but Norwich have just accepted over 20m for James Maddison, who they signed one year ago from Coventry. One good season and he’s worth that much. Anyone wondering why we’ve signed that Lopes, just look at that. It may not come off for Lopes here but if it does, we’ll be in the money which is why he’s worth the gamble. Also makes it even more important to get Nick Powell signed up on a new deal. 10-15 goals in the Championship and what does his price tag become?

We all know that are main players with a year left will be offered new deals when they get back to work .
Then it is up to them , i really can`t see Burn going anywhere this season we have a good manager he is at a good club with a together squad ..
Everything you read from the players is positive ..

In another thread about Bruce we talked about how we had everything going for us in that window before we sold Palacios. It felt like the mix was right and the players and manager all felt if we stayed together we could achieve something special, it felt the same with Jewell's team as well - I feel we are at that same point now. And to sell Burn or anyone else important would probably have a similar destabalising effect on our team as Palacios leaving did.

If someone comes in and offers us crazy money and player is promised triple their wages and is trying to force their way out then obviously it becomes more complicated but i get the impression that there is a great spirit in the camp and there wont be anyone pushing for a move if we offer them a contract extension on respectable terms.

Burn seems settled here can’t see him going anywhere until the new owners get a chance to offer him a new contract and he turns it down. Personally I don’t see that happening but if it does wigan should sell if they can get a few million for him.

In another thread about Bruce we talked about how we had everything going for us in that window before we sold Palacios. It felt like the mix was right and the players and manager all felt if we stayed together we could achieve something special, it felt the same with Jewell's team as well - I feel we are at that same point now. And to sell Burn or anyone else important would probably have a similar destabalising effect on our team as Palacios leaving did.

If someone comes in and offers us crazy money and player is promised triple their wages and is trying to force their way out then obviously it becomes more complicated but i get the impression that there is a great spirit in the camp and there wont be anyone pushing for a move if we offer them a contract extension on respectable terms.
Agree with that to an extent. Unfortunately Villa are a massive club and probably the only club in the league that is big enough to turn a players head and that’s before they find out how much more they’ll be offering in wages. Their budget will be funded by flogging Grealish for mega money. Burn would be a big loss but of the four we have with one year left on their contract IMO he is the one most replaceable. If we were to get say £7m and invested £2m of it to get someone like Matt Clarke from Pompey then it could be shrewd. Ideally though I’d tell Villa where to go!