2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread

Alan Nixon now saying that Wigan are targeting/are close on a couple new players for tomorrow. No names yet just that they are new targets.

I've got a suspicion Naismith may be converted into a left back as it was specifically mentioned he could play there when we signed him by Leam Richardson. When you look at how aggressively we attack from the full back position and how key they are to our style of play it does make a lot of sense to potentially convert a winger, as not many natural left backs will be able to provide the amount of threat our system requires. Elder and James both generally did well defensively and getting up and down the line but when the space opened up they weren't able to really hurt the opposition or put in enough quality crosses as we'd have liked.

I actually think that Naismith or his style of player would be a good option within the system particularly if we are going to play two very defensive minded midfielders. I do not know if he has the pace to chase wingers but it worked well with byrne who is more of an attacking player than defender in many ways.

Can't understand McManaman, he's regressed since he was here. Wildschut I wouldn't mind but as mentioned we still look awfully short in defence.

Certain players suit certain environments, and there's no doubting that both Mcmanaman and Wildschut's most productive spells in their careers came at Latics. Might go horribly wrong, or could quite possibly be a stroke of genius. Only loans either way it sounds like so not the end of the world if it didn't work out.

Wildschutt ahead of Naismith and McManaman ahead of Byrne would be pretty good. Both tracked back from memory and have pace. What would that mean for Jacobs though, or Walker who hasn't really many chances?

Speaking to Sunderland fans the general consensus is that the club will probably let McManaman go on a free to get him off the wage bill - as they did with Jason Steele who's just signed for Brighton. I think the size of McManaman's wages will probably depend on if there are any other clubs looking at him.

If we are in the market for loans it seems the money from the new owners is not available yet. When asked recently Alan Nixon said it will be next window.

I actually think that Naismith or his style of player would be a good option within the system particularly if we are going to play two very defensive minded midfielders. I do not know if he has the pace to chase wingers but it worked well with byrne who is more of an attacking player than defender in many ways.

The lad has never played at this level previously and only one, without shining, at the level above. As such why would we then pin our hopes on him playing in a position he is unfamiliar with. It's got disaster written all over it. Sooner we recruit a pair of left backs and a decent wide player the better.

Speaking of which, in regards mcmananan and wildschut, as above there's no denying their best spells came with us. However in regards the latter he's done nothing since leaving us and arguably not a great deal since he played a huge part in winning us the cup, bar a handful of good performances in our first season back in the Championship. As for the latter he certainly has talent but as we know is poor defensively. However both are better options than the aforementioned Naismith. It would be interesting to see if Cook could bring out their best form and improve them if either returned, but given their salaries I doubt it's nothing but paper talk.

Don’t think we’ll be trying to sign both. It’ll be one or the other. We’ve got a chance of getting one of them because both are surplus to requirements at their parent club. The negotiation would be as to how much of their bumper wages we’d be taking on for the season. Personally providing he’s over his chronic injury problems I think Paul Cook could work wonders with McManaman

I'd love Callum and Yanic back both very talented but I'm not remotely suprised they failed elsewhere. They had imperfections but our fans and management accepted and worked around them to get the best out of them. But when you move for big money understandably the level of expectation are sky high and the new fans and managers dont expect to need to make such allowances, as for the price tag they expect them to rip up trees and not need coddling. But that was never going to be Yanic and Callum some players are always going to be imperfect diamonds that require specific management to flourish and that's them. We know what that is for these two and Cook is a top man manager so I'd be very confident we could get them back to their best.

But one thing i would say is if you look at the way we play we don't really play out and out wingers, the wingers generally tuck in to create space for the full backs to bomb forward and the wide men are required to track back and work a lot. I'd not say Yanic or Callum were lazy but they weren't really the tracking back type - more the out and out cling to the touchline wide men. So they wouldn't be the type who would automatically fit into what we did last season. But maybe Cook feels they can work in that system with his coachingl, maybe we want to evolve our style of play or have game changers to have a second set of tactics.

I hope it's true and we get them both back as it sounds exciting to have their pace and dribbling ability in any side. But im not sure how the team would accommdate both plus Powell and the attacking full backs on the face of it.

It'll be very interesting to see if / how this plays out but i think c_latic is probably right when he says it more likely to be one or other rather than both.

Last edited:
i never like looking or going back i feel we should be looking forward and bringing in new talent
is this the so called big news that is supposed to be coming out today ?

I'd be disappointed if this was the big news coming out. I agree with bicky we should be looking to bring in new talent we can develop.
Whilst I also think we need some Championship or above experienced players I'd rather not be signing players who have done nothing for the last 12 months or so.

I'd be disappointed if this was the big news coming out. I agree with bicky we should be looking to bring in new talent we can develop.
Whilst I also think we need some Championship or above experienced players I'd rather not be signing players who have done nothing for the last 12 months or so.

Unfortunately players who've 'done alot' at Championship level in the last 12 months aren't going to be queuing up to sign for Wigan - I'm sure Paul Cook's doing the best he can and trying to come up with some inventive ways to fill our needs without breaking the bank. When it comes to 'experienced championship' players, Caldwell filled his boots with veterans who'd played at this level for years like Jake Buxton and Adam Le Fondre, and they didn't fair too well so perhaps a more creative transfer strategy is needed this time around.

Maybe Championship level players aren't queuing up to play for Wigan. But if our potential new owners want to progress then we need to make them want to come.
I don't expect us to break the bank but if there's money available for Yanic and/or Callum then there's money for Championship regulars.

I agree with your point about Caldwells signings but they were journeymen or players coming to the end of their careers.