2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread

I doesn't sound like Villa will have the money to offer 7m from everything you read about their money problems at the moment. I read their wage bill is in the region of £40-50m with them losing about 5m a month, them due to pay out 11m in outsanding payments for previously signed players and need to raise funds from player sales and wage bill slashing to the tune of £45m. Apparently their owner is having problems getting money out of China and had to borrow a few million to deal with the operating costs for the next few weeks.

A big problem is a lot of their highest earning players wont be interesting Prem teams while the bigger earners they could do with offloading like Kodja, Richards, Jedinak, Landsbury, McCormack etc all on around 40k a week and no other Championship club is that likely to want to take on those full salaries. Even if they can get a massive fee for Grealish I'm not so sure how much they will get back to spend. I can imagine Bruce will still have a strong squad and have some wiggle room to sign players but looking at their current state of play I think it's going to he difficult to imagine him getting millions to play with. Even if they can eventually raise the funds it will be completely dependent on player sales going through first and at this time of the summer not many big deals will go through so Villa will have to bide their time which gives us a good head start on getting a new contract in place while they are trying to find the required buyers.

If Villa have been scouting Dan I'm certain they'd be keen but i imagine they are hoping because it's only little Wigan they can get him on the cheap like they got Bree and Hourihan from Barnsley. But after getting that large fee for Yanic and seeing how the rest of the market is going in general i can see us looking for a much larger fee than Villa will expect. I think Villas financial reach this window and our valuation will be miles apart. But the sooner we get new contracts sorted the better. I was very impressed with how the club got Cooks deal sorted so quickly to kill off any interest from other clubs, and i'm really hopeful we will do the same with Big Dan asap before Villa even get a chance to raise funds and make an offer.

Sad to say goodbye to Morgan - i thought he was a great servant to the club but it's the right move for everyone. Best of luck to him at Fleetwood - I think he's a top signing for them.

We are left with Dunkley, Burn and Thomas plus Bruce said he wants a new contract so that is 4 CB's potentially. There is a decent chance Thomas might be loaned out again so it wouldn't shock me if we signed someone like Beckles / Robertson / Mellor who are brought in for full back but can cover at CB rather than sign another out and out CB.

Good news about Walton, lets hope that Brighton source their replacement for Tim Krul soon so we don't have to wait until half of preseason is done before Walton is allowed out and can avoid the risk of a potential mid season recall.

he is a everton fan might want to go play for his team if so let him go if his heart is not in it for our club
i have never seen the lad play if i have well he didnt do anything for me to go hey lets keep him
so move him on if its what he wants no point keeping someone that does not want to be here
reminds me of baines soon as everton came in he was off so no big deal to me

Lang is a prospect but it's so difficult to predict how these young lads will step up and continue to develop.

If the likes of Everton are in his ear via his agent promising him big wages on par with our higher earning first teamers then we likely can't make that type of commitment for a player who is still totally unproven and maybe not ready for first team football yet. We'd obviously like to keep hold of him as see how far he can go but you've got to weigh up the potential Cook believes he has against the cost of retaining him. It wouldn't suprise me if the Everton interest is genuine (and not just a rumour from his agent to try and get better terms) if the sums just don't add up for us.

Brighton apparently about to sign Jason Steele from Sunderland for 1.5m on a 3 year deal. So looks like we can expect Waltons return to be confirmed very soon.

A club like Brighton spending so much and offering such a long deal for a third choice back up, whos only being bought to allow a young keeper to go on loan really does highlight the staggering level of riches being in the Prem affords.

reminds me of baines soon as everton came in he was off so no big deal to me

That’s simply not true about Baines. He had numerous chances to leave during and after our first season in the top flight & didn’t want to go.
He even said after the 1st season that he wasn’t leaving as he owed it to Wigan to repay the faith & the opportunity they’d given him

No-one that I recall begrudged him his move 12 months later as a result

Also he wasn’t an Everton fan. He’d watched & supported Liverpool growing up

It could be because Everton are interested or it could be because he isn’t happy being 4th in the pecking order. Who knows, but if he doesn’t want to sign on with a year left then let him go.

To be fair Bickymon does have a bit of a point on Baines.

Sunderland offered something like 7.5m which we accepted but Baines rejected as he wanted to go to Everton who offered around 2m less. It seemed like Baines intitially wasn't banging on the door to leave but as we got deeper into the summer and it started to drag on things got a bit awkward as Everton were unwilling to match Sunderlands bid, we were not keen to take less and Baines wanted the deal to go through.

I remember there was even a picture of Baines sittig with with James Vaughan in the Everton directors box before the deal was done which was disapointing at the time.