2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread | Page 72 | Vital Football

2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread

No one wants MacDonald as no one is willing to pay his massive wages. Even half of his wages is unaffordable for most clubs below the Championship. He won’t kick a ball for us again unless three of Morsy, Evans, Connolly and Gibson get injured at the same time. Shambles really, and you wonder why we have to sell the likes of Burn. Well unfortunately the likes of MacDonald has to be paid five figures every week for doing absolutely naff all. Reminds me of Grant Holt.

As for Powell 20M or no deal... simple as that, no way we can replace him now.

If we were to get 20 million for Powell who do you think would get it ? Probably a nice last pay day for DW or the new owners getting there money back.
POWELL MUST STAY

No one wants MacDonald as no one is willing to pay his massive wages. Even half of his wages is unaffordable for most clubs below the Championship. He won’t kick a ball for us again unless three of Morsy, Evans, Connolly and Gibson get injured at the same time. Shambles really, and you wonder why we have to sell the likes of Burn. Well unfortunately the likes of MacDonald has to be paid five figures every week for doing absolutely naff all. Reminds me of Grant Holt.

You are aware he's had a leg break and a knee ligament injury? Also, highly doubt he's on the wages you say, we renewed his contract in January (when we were in League 1)

I'm glad they aren't personally.

After Morsy's performances against Forest and QPR it'd be nice to have an alternative.

Gibson is back in training now and Connolly will also be in front of MacDonald now along with our main pair. So he isnt going to get any game time and he will want to get his career back on track. So can't begrudge him a move if someone comes in. I like him a lot but he probably wont even get on our bench between now and Jan unless we have loads of injuries.

Gibson is back in training now and Connolly will also be in front of MacDonald now along with our main pair. So he isnt going to get any game time and he will want to get his career back on track. So can't begrudge him a move if someone comes in. I like him a lot but he probably wont even get on our bench between now and Jan unless we have loads of injuries.

I'd absolutely have him ahead of Connolly, when Burn is back we'll have to drop a loanee from the squad so MacDonald for Connolly would be my change.

I suspect when MacDonald sign his contract extension it involved a massive pay cut. No way we committed to giving him the same terms when we were in L1 after he'd not kicked a ball for 12 months.

I imagine he was willing to take a cut for one year extra as a sign of gratitude due to him missing so long and us paying for all his operations and recovery.

So i imagine his wages wont be as high as they once were but perhaps still more than most L1 clubs would like to pay.

It made all the sense in the world for MacDonald to take a huge pay cut and remain with us. He’s still regarded as a Championship player even though he’s hardly kicked a ball these past 18 months. Better than being seen as without a club for when he’s ready to move on.

So Powell wasn’t sold unless I missed it. Not even a last minute “he’s due a medical at....” type drama.

You can never be certain with these things but my money would be on a new contract being announced sometime around the takeover date. Some early goodwill for the new owners.

BUT when will the takeover date be? The way we are going,it could be put back so far that the next transfer window comes along and at that point Nick will surely be sold for a reduced fee. I’m sure Nick must be getting a bit fed up with the length of time this takeover is taking

Just seen that former Spurs & England misfit Centre Back STEVEN CAULKER has left Dundee by mutual consent.
Could he be heading here, I wonder???

Caulker is a strange one. Seemed to be destined for great things but somehow lost his way. No idea what happened to him but still only 26 and undoubtedly there is a top player in there somewhere. I would be very interested in him on a free unless there are serious off field issues us fans haven't heard.

Another component of the Powell situation is why did West Brom bid up to 15m for Dack at the last min after they were told he wasn't for sale but come nowhere near Powell who is just as good, if not better and with the contract situation probably cheaper and easier to do? Same for Villa and every other big club throwing money around for all the rumours no one seemed to put a bid in despite Powell ripping up trees. I suspect when the inevitable back channel chats go on with agents they were told Powell doesn't want to move. Maybe he will run his contract down but chances are if we knew that he'd have gone at start of summer so I'm thinking it could be pointing to Powell and the club both wanting to extend his deal and believing it's possible. It's speculation of course but look at the factors and I'd say that is possibly the most logical explanation of where we are.

Weren't we told the takeover would be done during the international break most recently by the latest rumour? Guess we just have to continue to be patient until we hear otherwise as didnt IEC say on that June circular it could be the 21st of Sept before announcement confirmed? So technically we are still on track for that.

Minor bit of transfer news i just read about a young lad called Emeka Obi potentially coming into our youth set up from Liverpool. Apparently he was L1's youngest every player and Liverpool paid 6 figures for him when he was just 15 a couple of years ago. He's still only 17 now and already 6'4. Bury manager at the time said he looked an amazing prospect but for some reason it doesn't appear it worked out at Liverpool and he's turned out for our youth team a couple of times last season and may be joining full time. Could be an interesting one to keep an eye on.

Also our youth striker we signed in the summer Piggott who has been banging them at youth level has joined Morcambe on loan. Hopefully he'll get plenty of game time as it seemed to do Lang the world of good in his development. Burgess apparently impressing at Barrow too. Good to see some of the academy lads getting their chance and hopefully come back better for it.

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=29138

McAuley who was rumoured to be on our radar as a back up centre half set to join Rangers on a free. Not really an issue to be honest as Burn is meant to be back after the international break so chances were McAuley would've never played and come January we'll hopefully have the takeover finally done and have money to spend to replace Burn. Gibson also meant to be due back for next game and Garner finally fit. Hopefully Jacobs and Massey will progress too so this international break should hopefully work in our favour assuming we aren't unlucky enough to get any players injured while away.

Last edited:
Caulker is a strange one. Seemed to be destined for great things but somehow lost his way. No idea what happened to him but still only 26 and undoubtedly there is a top player in there somewhere. I would be very interested in him on a free unless there are serious off field issues us fans haven't heard. QUOTE]

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2018...or-former-england-players-gambling-addiction/

Caulker here says he's been battling a gambling addiction and some mental health issues. Dundee turned down a bid from Ronsenborg for about £1.5m, so if that was to represent his current market value, it'd be something to consider. He'd command big wages and want to play, having seen how Kipre and Dunkley have performed so far, I wouldn't necessarily take the risk.

Caulker sounds like he's a bit of trouble, but if any club was willing to take him on and able to get his head right they may end up with a potential big reward for the potential trouble. I would say that he's probably not worth it and Cook wouldn't want anyone like him in the dressing room but after Gibson seems to have been given a fresh lease of life you never know.

But i would question how much his wages would be if Dundee could afford them. Surely they can't be that much.

Last edited:
It's very surprising no one has took a punt in Caulker on a free before now, Dundees average wage was about 1k a week so if they managed to get him on board he must not be pricing himself out of moves. So for a lad of his potential to be free for so long must mean managers are steering clear for a reason.

The Dundee manager said Caulker just came in and told him he didn't want to be there anymore even though he was contracted for another year and they reccently turned down huge money by their standards for him. He went on to say he felt if he tried to keep him Caulker would be a negative impact on the dressing room so granted him his release. Apparently he has been staying clear of the gambling and booze but the way he downed tools at Dundee doesn't send a good signal to potentially interested parties.