2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread | Page 71 | Vital Football

2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread

As I’ve said before Chet, I don’t always fret although it might seem that way, I just want the best for my club and if we have any real aspirations then keeping our best player is a must......I’m just concerned, not fretting!

As I’ve said before Chet, I don’t always fret although it might seem that way, I just want the best for my club and if we have any real aspirations then keeping our best player is a must......I’m just concerned, not fretting!

Why get concerned over what is no more than ill informed gossip?

Who is he?
A freelance journalist who also works for Sky. One of their infamous ‘Sky Sources’ who scours social media. If we knew definitively he wasn’t signing a contract he’d have been sold during the window when we could bring in a replacement. No one is silly enough to wait until the last day of the loan window for a paltry £5m.

The £5m ‘bargain fee’ being thrown around also makes little sense. If you have half a dozen money rich clubs in for your player you have a bidding war. Sure, they could get him for free next summer. They would also enter a lottery hoping he chooses them.

Never heard of Graeme Bailey his Tweet seems more like speculation rather than news to be honest.

He's never broken any accurate Wigan news before, so i'd take it with a HUGE pinch of salt.

Maybe Powell wont sign a new contract but if that was true as we speak I suspect Alan Nixon would be reporting it and Nicks agent would be making sure it's all over the media.

I think the most likely sceanrio is Nick is happy here and has been promised a new contract once the takeover is done, so he will continue to wait and see what comes of that and make his decision when he get's an offer in front of him. Knowing full well that the closer he gets to the end of his contract the more money he can ask for and the more choice his will have if he leaves on a Bosman.

Unless someone comes in with 10m+ or something really head turning I don't think Wigan would be looking to sell with the loan situation completely handcuffing us for repalcement.

A little article has just appeared on Newsnow from the official site pointing out that player sponsorship is still available for Powell. I wouldn't think they'd deliberately go out of their way to make a statement asking people for money and using his name specifically like that if they were expecting him to leave any day soon.

If he does not look like he will sign a contract He will be gone simple as I for one dont think we can afford to let him go And i am sure the club wont let him go for nothing So if he his here after Friday i would think he will be signing

Maybe they can’t offer him anything officially until the Hong Kong backing becomes a reality. If so it’s likely that has been explained to him and perhaps he’s happy with what he believes is on its way?
We’ll find out soon enough

We all know that the takeover is impacting our ability to make the type of contract offers our top players will probably want. And it's hard to imagine discussions wont have taken place assuring players contracts will be offered once the new owners are in place and finding out if any player wants out or is open to renewing their deal.

If the rumours are true that Nick is on 15k I'm sure if the player and his agent would be happy with an extension on those terms that it would already be done. But understandably they are probably after a bit of a raise that will break our current pay structure and also likely impact what other players will be asking for knowing the pay ceiling has been raised. So i think the new owners will have to dig deeper than our current owners can afford to keep Powell. But the fact that Powell has already told Sharpe he didn't want to go to any other Prem club last window and seems to not be pushing for a move again gives us hope that something can be done.

One thing to keep in mind is we only sorted Grigg and Jacobs new contracts after the window had shut last summer. So maybe the plan is to try and do the same with our current lads.

Given Sharpe is a weekly, if not daily, visitor to the training ground. A similar age to many of the players, social media aware, even golfing buddies with some, you’d have to think he is on top of the situation and keeps players upto speed with contracts and such.

It’s not like in Whelan’s day when he was a few generations removed from the modern player. Under Sharpe even when we have sold players I can’t think of a deal where we came off worse. We received a higher end fee for Wildschut and did the January (at least) loan for Burn in addition to his fee.

Nixon just tweeted that he expects one of ours to go out on loan before the window closes but that the move would be "minor".

Nixon just tweeted that he expects one of ours to go out on loan before the window closes but that the move would be "minor".

Suspect that could be the MacDonald judging by the rumours going round today. Other options could be one of the young lads or Walker or Cole.

Nixon is now saying the Macdoald loan to Oldham won't happen because it was only for half a year and because he already played for Wigan he would not be able to play anywhere else second half of the season. Would think a decent league one team would have a look at him if Oldham can afford him.

I understand the situation with Cole must involve stuff we don't know but i think he's got a lot to offer and certainly more than Vaughan. Hope Cole can prove himself at Burton and come back into the fold.

It's crazy no L1 club is interested in MacDonald. Fantastic player before the injury and surely still got a lot to offer.

I understand the situation with Cole must involve stuff we don't know but i think he's got a lot to offer and certainly more than Vaughan. Hope Cole can prove himself at Burton and come back into the fold.

It's crazy no L1 club is interested in MacDonald. Fantastic player before the injury and surely still got a lot to offer.

I'm glad they aren't personally.

After Morsy's performances against Forest and QPR it'd be nice to have an alternative.